John&Jojo

Financial Requirement Checklist

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello all,

I submitted AOS and IV documents about a week ago for the sponsorship of my wife, and today received a checklist from the NVC. I'm not quite sure how to proceed with it, so I would like some help. Specifically, the following is what the checklist contained:

______F - FINANCIAL EVIDENCE:______________________________________ We reviewed the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) and financial evidence you sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). According to the current poverty guidelines for a household of your size, the income you listed does not meet the minimum requirement to sponsor the intending immigrant(s) on this petition. If you provided NVC with proof of assets in lieu of income in order to meet the minimum income threshold, please note these assets will not be evaluated by NVC and will only be considered at the time of the visa interview. NVC will continue working on your case and will schedule a visa interview appointment overseas. If you have not included evidence of your assets in your submission to NVC, please make sure that you bring the evidence to the interview appointment. If you do not have proof of assets to meet the minimum income requirement, we recommend that you seek a joint financial sponsor or a household member to join you in financially supporting these immigrant family members. If you choose to add joint sponsors or household members, please have them complete the appropriate Affidavit of Support form and give it to the visa applicant to submit at their visa interview, along with supporting financial evidence such as IRS tax returns. Do not send these documents to NVC. During the visa interview a consular officer will review any proof of assets that you submitted and any additional sponsorship documents.

A little background about my AOS. I am a law student currently, and do not have the income to meet the poverty guidelines (my total income this year is $1200 from a summer judicial clerking position). However, I am fortunate enough to have roughly $65,000 in assets in a savings account. These assets should meet the poverty guidelines. The NVC stated in this letter that I do not have to resend any documentation and that they have not accounted for assets at all. I have sufficient assets (technically). I do not think I will be able to get a joint sponsor... and I shouldn't need to, but this is worrisome now. Also does this mean that my case has been reviewed and will be sent on to the consulate? 

Any recommendations or guidance on how to proceed? 

Thanks,

John

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

your case is approved by NVC and is being sent to Embassy. But during the interview you have to provide joint sponsor to meet the poverty guidelines. There is a different rule for evaluation of the property.

Timeline
Just now, Bunny&Ninja said:

your case is approved by NVC and is being sent to Embassy. But during the interview you have to provide joint sponsor to meet the poverty guidelines. There is a different rule for evaluation of the property.

Why do I need to provide a joint sponsor? Thats what I am afraid of... because I don't think I can find a joint sponsor. I have $65,000 in cash assets though... so by the NVC guidelines I shouldn't need to have any joint sponsor... I meet the threshold based on my cash assets. Or at least I should...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bunny&Ninja said:

This is not correct.  NVC is just saying in their own confusing way, that the Consular Officer will make the decision on the public charge issue.  Most likely, they will approve based on the assets.  I've seen this same language from NVC when more than half a million in liquid assets were documented.  It comes up in every asset qualifying case.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
32 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

This is not correct.  NVC is just saying in their own confusing way, that the Consular Officer will make the decision on the public charge issue.  Most likely, they will approve based on the assets.  I've seen this same language from NVC when more than half a million in liquid assets were documented.  It comes up in every asset qualifying case.

Okay, thank you for your help. 

I called the NVC and the representative told me that my case was approved and was waiting to be sent to the consulate. However, she said that she had no idea whether it would be approved even if assets were over the number.

Thank you for clearing this up though.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, John&Jojo said:

Okay, thank you for your help. 

I called the NVC and the representative told me that my case was approved and was waiting to be sent to the consulate. However, she said that she had no idea whether it would be approved even if assets were over the number.

Thank you for clearing this up though.

The reps really don't know much.  If your income looks good, you can still be denied on public charge even if NVC sends the case to the Consulate.  The difference is you don't get a confusing or alarming checklist that makes no sense.  They aren't asking for anything, just telling you your income is insufficient.  You already knew that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.