Springrain22

Traveling to Europe and back to US while waiting for Green Card

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi all,

my wife will come to New York as a spouse of USC by the end of this month and will be waiting for her physical green card.

However, we need to travel to Copenhagen for 1 week in October. I'm not sure that she will get her green card by mail by that date.

Is it possible to travel with I-551 stamp in her passport, will she be allowed to enter the US on our way back?

Another question: she will require to get a Schengen Visa, how do we do it in New York City? How to apply and how long does it take?

Thanks for all replies!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Why does she need Schengen Visa? She has EU passport 

Edit:

Oh now I see...She is from Belarus...sorry :)

Edited by Frips

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I hope your trip is towards the end of October, otherwise there may not be enough time. She needs to check with the Danish Consulate in NYC's website on Schengen requirements. These things take time, appointment availability, gathering paperwork, processing the visa, etc. I'd look into this asap. http://usa.um.dk/en/about-us/consulate-general-of-denmark---new-york/consular-section/

As the comment above she could try to get this done in Minsk but if she is coming here end of this month, there may not be much time left there either. Good luck!

Timeline
4 hours ago, charmander said:

I hope your trip is towards the end of October, otherwise there may not be enough time. She needs to check with the Danish Consulate in NYC's website on Schengen requirements. These things take time, appointment availability, gathering paperwork, processing the visa, etc. I'd look into this asap. http://usa.um.dk/en/about-us/consulate-general-of-denmark---new-york/consular-section/

As the comment above she could try to get this done in Minsk but if she is coming here end of this month, there may not be much time left there either. Good luck!

Our trip is October 5 - 12. I will check their website, thanks!

6 hours ago, charmander said:

And any delay in getting the passport back from Minsk - these things happen - could jeopardize the booked trip to the US.

Without knowing her particular background (but being from a country that also requires schengen visas) I'd also suggest it's generally easier applying for one as a green card holder resident in the US than applying from the home country.

Timeline

1 hour ago, Springrain22 said:

If she's coming in on an immigrant visa, no. Her stamped IV becomes a temporary green card. 

If she comes in on a NIV and adjusts status then yes.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.