Nicey&T

K1 Interview: Ambiguous result

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I recently got back from my K1 interview. At the end, the consular officer said "everything looks good, but we just need to do some name checks. We will contact you if needs be. If you don't hear from us, that's good news and you can pick up your visa in 1 to 2 weeks."

She then gave me the pamphlet on the legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims and said theese are my rights when in the US and said there is a number on it I should contact if I run into difficulties.

I asked if this means that my visa is approved, she said "I can't say that it is approved at this time, but if you don't hear from us, that's good news." 

I'm really confused. 

HOW INTERVIEW WENT

I applied for a visitor's visa in 2014 to visit my aunt. 

CO: What's the name of the aunt you were going to visit in 2014

Me: Says Aunt's name

CO: Does your aunt know your fiance?

Me: Yes

CO: How did they come to know each other?

Me: They knew each other form when they we living in Jamaica. We are all from the same community.

CO: They live very close to each other

ME: yes, same zip code

CO: How did they come to live at that address?

Me: Purely coincidence. My aunt's son filed her her and that is his address, and my Fiance and his Sister moved from Georgia to live in NY for school. 

CO: When did you reconnect with your fiance after he migrated from Jamaica?

Me: 2009

CO: When last did you see your fiance?

Me: Last month, he visited me July 14 and he left on the 23rd

After that, she kept my passport and said as I mentioned above. 

I was planning to hand in my letter of resignation tomorrow, but after this ambiguous outcome today, I will have to wait. 

I can't even celebrate because I don't know where I stand. 

Please give me some words of advice/ encouragement

Edited by Nicey&T

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Doesn't seem ambiguous to me at all....she said everything looks good, she kept your passport, she gave you information about rights when IN the US, and she gave you an estimated time of when you could possibly pick up your visa....I'm not seeing what was bad about this?

Keeping your passport is a VERY good sign, btw.

Think of the good things that happened in your interview!  You didn't seem to post anything that sounds bad...

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Going through said:

Doesn't seem ambiguous to me at all....she said everything looks good, she kept your passport, she gave you information about rights when IN the US, and she gave you an estimated time of when you could possibly pick up your visa....I'm not seeing what was bad about this?

Keeping your passport is a VERY good sign, btw.

Think of the good things that happened in your interview!  You didn't seem to post anything that sounds bad...

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your insight. I'm just worried by the fact that she said, "I can't say its approved at this time". I'm really hoping and praying that all is well. 

I'm not sure if I made it clear, but the visiting visa i applied for was denied in 2014. I mentioned that in a previous post.

Her line of questioning seemed to be suggesting that its suspicious that both my aunty and fiance live close in the same zip code, about 10 minutes away, so it might have been a 'plan' for her to get him to marry me, however, it's purely coincidence that they live close.

In fact, my fiance only moved to this address last year after getting a job nearby. I'm beating up myself for not making that clear to the consular, it's just that It didn't call to my mind to say it at the time because my fiance has a sis who lives near to my aunt and he  is always visiting her so he's often at that address. We're all just a very close knit set because we came from the same community. 

My fiance and I have been in a relationship since 2011, that's 6 years 7 months to be exact. We have the pictures and posts to prove it, though I didn't see the consular looking at our pictures during the interview. It's so painful because we're legitimate and i feel like I might not have represented the situation favourably enough to the consular, which is why she did not explicitly/ immediately approve me. 

it's really agonizing that I'm just not certain of the outcome as yet. 

Thank you so much for responding to me. you have been so helpful. I really look forward to your reply. 

Sounds like good news to me!

If the person had said those exact same words to me, I'd be celebrating.

Now of course I'd be lying if I told you there wasn't still a final chance for refusal during administrative processing, but the changes of success are much greater for you unless you have skeletons in your closet you didn't disclose.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nicey&T said:

Her line of questioning seemed to be suggesting that its suspicious that both my aunty and fiance live close in the same zip code, about 10 minutes away, so it might have been a 'plan' for her to get him to marry me, however, it's purely coincidence that they live close.

This part is how I looked at it when you mentioned it:  Your family is aware of your relationship with your fiance---you are not hiding his existence from him.  Plus, if you're all from the same community it makes sense that your zip codes would be the same or similar.

I remember your other thread---you have really no red flags that I or others saw in it from the info you gave us....I really wish and hope the best for you :) 

You may not feel like celebrating just yet---but that doesn't mean you have to cry yourself to sleep tonight, either ;) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Peot said:

Sounds like good news to me!

If the person had said those exact same words to me, I'd be celebrating.

Now of course I'd be lying if I told you there wasn't still a final chance for refusal during administrative processing, but the changes of success are much greater for you unless you have skeletons in your closet you didn't disclose.

lol! thank you so much. I'm always very cautiously optimistic, so I'm never one to celebrate without knowing for sure. I always just hope for the best while being mindful that there is, like you said, a SLIM chance of refusal. 

I don't have any skeletons. Never been married, never had a police record, love my fiance with all my heart.Been together since 2011 and he has visited me 7 times. (Five times at the time the application was filed). 

The only possible 'red flag' i could think of with my situation is what i mentioned above, that both our families are very close, so the consular might assume that it was a 'plan' to have my fiance marry me. However, my fiance and I are in a relationship of our own free will and our families are extremely happy for us and supportive of us. 

when i mentioned this close situation with our families, an experienced VJ-er told me that's nothing to worry about, and that's it's actually a good thing that our families are close. 

I am a very honest person. I have laid out all my cards. i really hope all goes well because it's the most painful feeling watching my fiance leave each time and not knwing when i'll see him again or when we'll finally get to start our lives together

Thanks so much for responding to me. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Going through said:

This part is how I looked at it when you mentioned it:  Your family is aware of your relationship with your fiance---you are not hiding his existence from him.  Plus, if you're all from the same community it makes sense that your zip codes would be the same or similar.

I remember your other thread---you have really no red flags that I or others saw in it from the info you gave us....I really wish and hope the best for you :) 

You may not feel like celebrating just yet---but that doesn't mean you have to cry yourself to sleep tonight, either ;) 

Awwww thank you so much! I really appreciate how benevolent you have been to me. You are awesome

Seems perfectly fine to me. I think some COs don't like to say "approved" because it may imply that the visa is being issued as well. It won't be issued until AP completes. But I would treat what was said as a sign that you are on track to get the visa and there wasn't an issue with something at the interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Seems perfectly fine to me. I think some COs don't like to say "approved" because it may imply that the visa is being issued as well. It won't be issued until AP completes. But I would treat what was said as a sign that you are on track to get the visa and there wasn't an issue with something at the interview.

Thank you so much for your insight! I really appreciate it 

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

That really does make sense. If they still have to review documents, then they can't technically say "Approved". This really does make sense and explain why she could not have explicitly said that i was approved. Thanks so much :-)

Timeline

i don't know why they make it tough sometimes, not like we criminals lol

here is the section they stated to my fiancée: not denied but not approved:

I sent email to them like they asked for with additional information Aug 6

Refusal under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) means that essential information is missing from an application or that an application has been placed on administrative hold. The consular officer who interviews you will tell you at the end of your interview if action on your case is being refused under 221(g) pending further information. The officer will either tell you that the case has to undergo administrative processing, or will ask you to submit additional information.

If further information is required, the officer will tell you how to submit that information. As part of this process, you will be given a written letter and will have 12 months from the date of your application to submit the requested documents without having to pay a new visa application fee. After one year, an application refused under Section 221(g) is terminated per Section 203(e) of the INA.

If the U.S. Embassy or Consulate requested additional information or documentation from you, you must submit those documents at a Post Danmark document collection office. This web page explains how to submit your documents for delivery to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just think Kingston loves to be evasive.  The fact of your Aunt living in the exact same area as your fiance and that you filed for a visitor visa to see her may have perked up their radar a bit.  If they had intentions of denying you right then they wouldn't have kept your passport.   Try not to stress and worry because that won't help any.  Keep working.  Keep busy.  You will probably hears something soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.