Nodrog

Denied due to incorrect filing fee, please help!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Firstly,  I'd like to express my appreciation for all the help given here in visajourney.

I am now at a crossroad and I am not sure as to what to do. My application was sent back to me (rejected) as I was told my filing fee of $1070 was not correct (I got that amount here on visajourney by the way), I was told that the correct amount is $1225 instead. The package was NOT returned the same way i sent it to USCIS. What I want to know is this, should I send the package back (with correct amount) the same way USCIS sent it me or do i have to reorganize it again?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Nodrog said:

Firstly,  I'd like to express my appreciation for all the help given here in visajourney.

I am now at a crossroad and I am not sure as to what to do. My application was sent back to me (rejected) as I was told my filing fee of $1070 was not correct (I got that amount here on visajourney by the way), I was told that the correct amount is $1225 instead. The package was NOT returned the same way i sent it to USCIS. What I want to know is this, should I send the package back (with correct amount) the same way USCIS sent it me or do i have to reorganize it again?

Thank you in advance!

You should always rely on the USCIS website for all fees, not VJ even if you were told it's correct. There's no such fee of $1,070. Read all instructions carefully before preparing and sending anything, this is a golden rule of immigration.

Timeline

i dont know why people just don`t read guides and fees in the USCIS web site and double check their application. While these forums are useful but you end of the day it is your responsibility to make sure you do your due diligence. A lot of people have their applications returned just because of simple mistake on filing fees.

Filing Fees:

I-130

A personal check or Money Order amount of $535 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

I-485

A personal check or Money Order amount of $1225 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (Including biometric fee).

you need reorganize your files again and submit with correct fees. Also make sure you use the updated forms as well.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

You should always rely on the USCIS website for all fees, not VJ even if you were told it's correct. There's no such fee of $1,070. Read all instructions carefully before preparing and sending anything, this is a golden rule of immigration.

I sure learn my lesson. Thanks very much. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, tato2017 said:

i dont know why people just don`t read guides and fees in the USCIS web site and double check their application. While these forums are useful but you end of the day it is your responsibility to make sure you do your due diligence. A lot of people have their applications returned just because of simple mistake on filing fees.

Filing Fees:

I-130

A personal check or Money Order amount of $535 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

I-485

A personal check or Money Order amount of $1225 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (Including biometric fee).

you need reorganize your files again and submit with correct fees. Also make sure you use the updated forms as well.

I read it but not thoroughly. Lesson learned. Thank You.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

$1070 was the fee for filing AOS before the cost went up.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Beth & Achraf said:

$1070 was the fee for filing AOS before the cost went up.

It does not matter. If they rejected that application, it only means that OP did not check fees before submitting it. They can update the fees anytime they want, it's OP's responsibility to make sure all is correct.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

It does not matter. If they rejected that application, it only means that OP did not check fees before submitting it. They can update the fees anytime they want, it's OP's responsibility to make sure all is correct.

YES of course, but I understand where they got the old filing fee is what I was just saying......     always go by the USCIS forms with cost and check the expiration dates on the forms too.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline
8 hours ago, goodlulck52 said:

Would USCIS cash the check even if it is a wrong fee? Or this application is denied free of charge? Thanks!

No they dont charger the petitioner to return it and no they didnt cash the check either. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 hours ago, goodlulck52 said:

Would USCIS cash the check even if it is a wrong fee? Or this application is denied free of charge? Thanks!

There's a difference between denial and rejection. If something major is wrong with your package, ie wrong fee (the amount has to be EXACT, no more, no less), missing signature on the i-485 etc, they will reject your application. They never accept it, they never process it, it's just returned to you. Rejection doesn't cost you anything but time and the shipping cost of you having to send your application to USCIS a second time.

A denial is when they have accepted your application, processed it and found you ineligible for whatever reason.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.