hsa12390

Questions before filing N-400

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My French husband got his 2 year CGC back in Oct 2014 and we filed ROC back in July 2016 and received our 10 year GC about a month ago, so now we're filing for citizenship based on the 3 year rule! We live in Boston so are hoping for a quick turn around time :)

I just had a few questions about the application before I send it in

1) On the questions that ask about your last 5 years of employment and where you've lived and traveled in the last 5 years, would we just fill that out for the last 3 years? if so, should i cross out the "5" and write "3" instead or will the officer understand why we're only filing it out for the last 3 years?

2) For the spaces that don't apply to us, should we leave it blank or write "N/A"?

3) Similar to question 1, but on Part 9 (list all of the trips you've taken outside of US in the last 5 years), technically my husband arrived here Oct 1,2014. Should the time we spent in France before then be listed as a trip? I'm not sure because it was technically before he got his GC but going back exactly 3 years would mean from August 2014...If it is a trip, what would we put as "date you left the US?"

Also, the documents I'm sending are:

1) N-400 cover letter
2) N-400 application

3) check for $725

4) wedding certificate + translation + translation certification from translation company

5) My US birth certificate

6) IRS tax return transcripts from 2014,2015 and 2016

Are there any other documents I need to send?

Thanks everyone

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, hsa12390 said:

1) On the questions that ask about your last 5 years of employment and where you've lived and traveled in the last 5 years, would we just fill that out for the last 3 years? if so, should i cross out the "5" and write "3" instead or will the officer understand why we're only filing it out for the last 3 years?

Depending upon how you check the box at the very beginning of your application when stating how you are filing, the adjudicator will understand that the rest of your application refers to only the previous 3 years.  Some people do cross out the 5 and write a 3 on the form for the travel section, you can do this if you wish.

2) For the spaces that don't apply to us, should we leave it blank or write "N/A"?

Personal preference...some write in NA in every single box, some leave it blank, some write in NA only in the first box of the section.  I would suggest writing in NA in at least the first box of the sections that don't apply to you (like multiple children info, for example).

3) Similar to question 1, but on Part 9 (list all of the trips you've taken outside of US in the last 5 years), technically my husband arrived here Oct 1,2014. Should the time we spent in France before then be listed as a trip? I'm not sure because it was technically before he got his GC but going back exactly 3 years would mean from August 2014...If it is a trip, what would we put as "date you left the US?"

For the purpose of the form, they are only interested in the time spent outside of the US *after* becoming a US resident.  You would go back only 3 years AFTER becoming a US resident since you are filing based on marriage.

1) N-400 cover letter
2) N-400 application

3) check for $725

4) wedding certificate + translation + translation certification from translation company

You need to submit a copy of the front and back of his green card.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
10 hours ago, Going through said:

Depending upon how you check the box at the very beginning of your application when stating how you are filing, the adjudicator will understand that the rest of your application refers to only the previous 3 years.  Some people do cross out the 5 and write a 3 on the form for the travel section, you can do this if you wish.

Personal preference...some write in NA in every single box, some leave it blank, some write in NA only in the first box of the section.  I would suggest writing in NA in at least the first box of the sections that don't apply to you (like multiple children info, for example).

For the purpose of the form, they are only interested in the time spent outside of the US *after* becoming a US resident.  You would go back only 3 years AFTER becoming a US resident since you are filing based on marriage.

You need to submit a copy of the front and back of his green card.

OK great thanks for your help :) I see that you filed online, would you suggest doing the same? I heard that Boston is one of the fastest FO so I was thinking of sending in a paper application...

8 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

OK great thanks for your help :) I see that you filed online, would you suggest doing the same? I heard that Boston is one of the fastest FO so I was thinking of sending in a paper application...

I am a Boston Paper filer!  For context and timing guides - we already have one Boston member from our month who is already approved!  I have my interview next Tuesday as well.  We are from the May filers group.  We both filed via paper.

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Timeline
1 minute ago, lovelyalex said:

I am a Boston Paper filer!  For context and timing guides - we already have one Boston member from our month who is already approved!  I have my interview next Tuesday as well.  We are from the May filers group.  We both filed via paper.

Wow, that's great! Did you file under 3 year rule?

Also, just to clarify, you sent your N-400 to Dallas first and then from Dallas do they send your application to your field office to schedule biometrics? Or do they first schedule biometrics and then send your file to FO? 

Looks like I'll do the paper filing as I've heard that the online system can be iffy. What kind of supporting documents did you send with your application out of curiosity?

18 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

Wow, that's great! Did you file under 3 year rule?

Also, just to clarify, you sent your N-400 to Dallas first and then from Dallas do they send your application to your field office to schedule biometrics? Or do they first schedule biometrics and then send your file to FO? 

Looks like I'll do the paper filing as I've heard that the online system can be iffy. What kind of supporting documents did you send with your application out of curiosity?

If I recall I ticked the 5 year box because while I am still married happily to my spouse I've been here for over 5 years.  I don't remember what @Faith38 filed under.

Our applications went to the Dallas NBC first.  They schedule the biometrics appointments to the nearest biometric offices/ASCs (application support centers) - I ended up going to Revere for my biometrics appointment.  The drive there from where I live (Waltham) was a PITA so I was really concerned I'd have to go there for my interview, but when I called the USCIS to ask they said they pick the closest field office to your address/county.  And I'll be going to the Boston field office at Government Center - which is where my interview is scheduled for.

Once your biometrics have been reviewed/cleared then your case gets sent to the field office and you're "in line for interview".  It took 49 days from my actual biometrics appointment to go "inline for interview" and then in less than a week it changed to "interview has been scheduled".  My name is relatively common and I think while my finger prints came back fine the name search took a little bit longer.

Edited by lovelyalex

Our journey:

Timeline
26 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

That's really up to you :) 

For me, it fit my situation (I am awaiting certified copies of documents and was able to upload scans of regular photocopies so my application could be underway---by the time the interview rolls around I'll have the certified copies I need).  But at least filing online I was able to get my application under processing and save time instead of waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail if I had chosen to file via paper.

Filing online also gave me the opportunity to "overnight it for free" in a way since I didn't have to spend money on postage, or stress about whether it would arrive since the receipt is instantaneous.  And it sped up my biometrics date, too, I feel.  I also like being able to see and instantly respond to any RFEs I may get in the future as I can upload further documents they may ask for instead of waiting for that to travel back and forth through the mail too, and cut down on any delays.

It all comes down to personal preference really---weigh the pros and cons.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

@hsa12390 and with regards to supporting documents, I submitted tax returns for the past 3 or 4 years (I had already pulled 3 years and then got back last years just before I filed so included that with it too), copy, of marriage certificate, husband (US citizen)'s birth cert, copies of birth certificates for both our US citizen children, my birth cert/passport/green card.  I think that was it.

Our journey:

4 minutes ago, Going through said:

That's really up to you :) 

I think it's also worth noting that I've seen a few people go with the intention of filing online, only to find out that for whatever reason (specifics to their application) they are not eligible. So then they had to paper file anyway.

Our journey:

Timeline

3 minutes ago, lovelyalex said:

I think it's also worth noting that I've seen a few people go with the intention of filing online, only to find out that for whatever reason (specifics to their application) they are not eligible. So then they had to paper file anyway.

Great, thanks guys. I am eligible to file online (I checked already) but will probably just do paper since we're not in a huge hurry anyways. 

Good luck with your interview!

9 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

Great, thanks guys. I am eligible to file online (I checked already) but will probably just do paper since we're not in a huge hurry anyways. 

Thanks!  Once your application is ready to go definitely join the discussion for your month.  It's a great support network and can help with any issues you might have or questions along the way!

Our journey:

Timeline
14 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

I'm in NY, probably the slowest office out there (average 9-12 months completion) because of the sheer amount of applications received...I'm not in a huge hurry, but anything that'll get me even a little bit faster through the process I'll take lol!

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/08/2017 at 9:58 PM, hsa12390 said:

Hi Everyone,

My French husband got his 2 year CGC back in Oct 2014 and we filed ROC back in July 2016 and received our 10 year GC about a month ago, so now we're filing for citizenship based on the 3 year rule! We live in Boston so are hoping for a quick turn around time :)

1) N-400 cover letter
2) N-400 application

3) check for $725

Are there any other documents I need to send?

Thanks everyone

Hello hsa12390,

looking at your list, I guess you got married in France. Did you send a wedding certificate of less than 3 month old? or the same as you used for I130?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, quimolum said:

Hello hsa12390,

looking at your list, I guess you got married in France. Did you send a wedding certificate of less than 3 month old? or the same as you used for I130?

They just asked for a copy of the wedding certificate. I had scanned the original one onto my computer back in 2013 for my I-130, I just printed out a copy of that. I added a new translation with a translation certificate (I believe the translation company was called RAV)

Good luck!

On 14.08.2017 at 3:58 AM, hsa12390 said:

Hi Everyone,

The instruction doesn't say only 5 year applicants  should list all 5 years and 3 years applicants 3 years. It clearly says to list 5 years of his whereabouts and employments. I don't know maybe this information will help them to indicate or track his good moral character as it is based on 5 years. He should list all 5 years of his employment and places where he lived regardless of whether he is applying on the ground of three years or five. I would skip travel though because his outside of US trips only count after he became a resident.

Edited by Lenchick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.