vlkdublin

Can I be a sponsor?

8 posts in this topic

I am petitioning for my husband and I have never made enough in my previous jobs to be required to file taxes. However this year I got a job that reaches the 125% needed to be a sponsor. I also have the IRS Transcripts of non-filing and W-2's for my previous job. Will I be denied as a sponsor because I didn't file taxes for the last three years even though I meet the financial requirements? Can I fill out the I-864 myself without having a joint sponsor? I don't really have anyone that I can use as a joint sponsor. 

If I can be a sponsor what do I put for number 19 where it asks for total income as reported on my federal income tax returns for the three most recent years?

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you can be a sponsor if your CURRENT annual incomes meets the 125% :) 

In reference to your question about not filing for the other years due to low income and quoted from the I-864 instructions Page 8:

"If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a typed or printed explanation. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a typed or printed explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it. Residence outside of the United States does not exempt U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents from filing a U.S. Federal income tax return. See Filing Requirements in the IRS Form 1040 Filing Instructions to determine whether you were required to file. For purposes of this affidavit, the line for Total Income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ, the line for adjusted gross income will be considered."

I have no idea about Part 6 Item 19 but definitely check the box for Part 6 Item 20 :) 

Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Thank you so much for your input. I was just afraid that since Ive only been working in this job for a few months that I wouldn't be able to sponsor my husband. Its great to know that I can. Thanks for your help.

• 3 months later...

For anyone in the future who wants to be the sponsor with a spouse from Trinidad and you have never paid taxes but you're currently employed and making over the 125% it helps if you attach 6 months of pay stubs with the Affidavit of Support. My case got held up at NVC for a long time because I did not attach it and  I never found out the reason why it was help up until a long time afterwards.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 8/10/2017 at 5:18 AM, vlkdublin said:

Thank you so much for your input. I was just afraid that since Ive only been working in this job for a few months that I wouldn't be able to sponsor my husband. Its great to know that I can. Thanks for your help.

Just be aware you cannot use the I-864EZ.  Use the I-864.  For non-filing because your income was below the filing threshold, simply hand write in the available space, "Not required to file. Income below threshold."  Works every time it's tried.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Just be aware you cannot use the I-864EZ.  Use the I-864.  For non-filing because your income was below the filing threshold, simply hand write in the available space, "Not required to file. Income below threshold."  Works every time it's tried.

Thanks. I've already been approved at the NVC stage. Just waiting for my interview date. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Thanks. I've already been approved at the NVC stage. Just waiting for my interview date. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.