Thiago Santana

What are my options to get a visa to visit my mother (us citizen)?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was granted a tourist visa in 1998. Entered the US in that year .

Visited in 2002.

In 2005 i was denied access to the united states while trying to enter the country on a tourist visa to visit my mother. (agent became suspicious of me because i said i was visiting my mom)

After that i was sentenced to 10 years away from US.

My mother became US citizen in 2015.

In 2016 i tried to get a tourist visa but was denied.

Is there any other options for me to visit her in the US.

I hear there's special holiday visa. how can i apply for that?

Ps: also my mom has filled for my green card since im CHILD of USC, im in the process of waiting for that (dont wanna wait 12-15 years to be able to visit).

Im thinking about starting some kind of law suit in order enforce my right to be able to visit my mom, since im sure any lawyer would take my case. What are my chances of getting a permit to visit based on that?

Friends tell me i should try to get a tourist but not mention that my mom is us citizen, but im reluctant to that because it would be a lie.

If anyone could help me i really appreciate.

Also, i would like to mention that i have no criminal record in US, however i have a traffic court case and have been in jail for driving with a suspended licence.

Best regards,

Thiago

Timeline

Ok Guys, thanks for your help.
Im gonna try a tourist visa one more time. And work on my ties' arguments a little bit.

It appears like i have no choice but to wait for my greencard petition to go throught.

Thanks again and God bless you all!

54 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

Friends tell me i should try to get a tourist but not mention that my mom is us citizen, but im reluctant to that because it would be a lie

They already know who your mum is so basically you would get another ban for misrepresentation

55 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

In 2005 i was denied access to the united states while trying to enter the country on a tourist visa to visit my mother. (agent became suspicious of me because i said i was visiting my mom)

After that i was sentenced to 10 years away from US.

This makes no sense to me.  But whatever. The only way to get such a long ban is due to misrepresentation or fraud, not because someone is suspicious for visiting. 

56 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

Ps: also my mom has filled for my green card since im CHILD of USC, im in the process of waiting for that (dont wanna wait 12-15 years to be able to visit).

If you are single the wait is 7 years or so. If you had a ban, it is going to be very hard to get a visitor visa. Plus, she filed an application for you to get a green card. I think there is not much you can do.

58 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

Also, i would like to mention that i have no criminal record in US, however i have a traffic court case and have been in jail for driving with a suspended licence.

Is this in the US? Why was your license suspended in the first place? Driving violations are very serious in the US. They might not be in other countries but people have lost their green cards due to DUI and all sort of things.

Timeline

Thanks again for all the help guys.

About my ban: I was sent to the further questioning when i mentioned i was visiting my mom. Then, they found out i had overstayed for 8 months.

About my greencard:

Im married so people tell me it can take up to 15 years for me to get my greendcard. Is that true?

My traffic court problemns: My drivers license was suspended due to unpaid traffic tickets.

Timeline

One more thing: my wife is italian citizen. Soon im getting new italian passports. Italians dont need visa to enter the US; So in theory im gonna be able to use my italian passport to enter the US.  Do you think i might have problems when using that passport to enter the US?

11 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

So in theory im gonna be able to use my italian passport to enter the US.  Do you think i might have problems when using that passport to enter the US?

I know people who have double nationality and use their "other" passport for the US. However, you have to be careful because you've travelled under your other passport before and they will not like that. A friend's brother travelled to the US with one passport and then in another opportunity he travelled with the other passport, and he almost got deported. They thought he had fake passports and whatnot. Maybe they though he was a criminal. 

Moreover, for the Italian passport you'd have to get ESTA to travel to the US. But you cannot use ESTA if you have had a ban like yours. Even when you had the ban with the other passport, you are the same person. 

So I think you'll end up having the same problem.

I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers willing to take on the case. Doesn't mean they could do anything about it, but I'm sure they'll take the check. ;)

20 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

About my ban: I was sent to the further questioning when i mentioned i was visiting my mom. Then, they found out i had overstayed for 8 months.

Yeah...probably should have mentioned that a LOT sooner (for several reasons).

About my greencard:

Im married so people tell me it can take up to 15 years for me to get my greendcard. Is that true?

Yup. The exact time is just an estimate. Taking 15 years is possible (albeit I think the current delay is about 13 years?)

17 minutes ago, Thiago Santana said:

One more thing: my wife is italian citizen. Soon im getting new italian passports. Italians dont need visa to enter the US; So in theory im gonna be able to use my italian passport to enter the US.  Do you think i might have problems when using that passport to enter the US?

Yup. No visa is needed, but an ESTA is. You are ineligible for an ESTA with a past overstay. The requirement follows a person, not a passport.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Ok Everyone,

Thanks again for your help with my issue.

After reading all this i think Im not even gonna try a tourist visa again.

Im glad I still have the greencard option so im gonna patiently wait for that.

God bless you all and God bless America.

Cheers,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 hours ago, Thiago Santana said:

No you won't be able to get into the US with your Italian passport. You might have a new passport but your previous issues still exist. As an Italian, you travel under the VWP. When you travel under the VWP, you need an ESTA and you can't get an ESTA with a previous denied entry and certainly not with a ban, which means you still need a visa to enter the US.

The Italian passport will help you visit other countries more easily but you're still not gonna get into the US. 

If you're living in Italy, why don't your mum come visit you? Italy is beautiful and so much to see. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If the intention is visiting only, couldn't she just travel to Brazil instead? 

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.