4 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi VJ,

I would like some advice and tips from you!

My dad petitioned for me september 2013 and is a naturalised USC an Im from Sweden. I check the bulletin and VJ every now and then and I am estimating a wait of around 8-9 years.

My boyfriend got his green card January 2016 and we are exploring options to get me to the US so we can be together. Of course, marriage is an option and from what I've read the wait can be anything from 2-3 years. I am also considering going back to school so I can stay for longer then 90 days at a time. 

I know that marriage to him will affect my dads petition as I will be a married child, but marrying my boyfriend would then be the most logical solution and if he gets naturalised during the process it will speed things up?

What other options or advice do you have for starting this process or immigrating to the US?

Those F2A who are waiting for such a long time, how to you manage the distance? Are you in your home country trying to live a normal life or do you fly and vist you significant other every now and then?

Thanks!

/Anna

Yes, if you two are ready then marriage to your boyfriend is the more logical choice.

With him being a PR the process for a disk visa will take approximately 2 years. 

If he naturalize during that time he can upgrade his petition for you and the time will be less. But it still depends how he qualifies for citizenship.

You say he got his green card in 2016. If he is looking at naturalization then it would be bad off of marriage to a US citizen as it is only 3 years. If not then he would not qualify for naturalization until 2021 (5 year rule for permanent resident).

Then reason i bring this up is because it is important to know that if he was previously married to a US citizen and gained permanent residence that way the is a whole nother issue you two face.

Your last question is kind of a tricky one. Most people who are in long distance relationships are flying in F2A or F2B priority dates to come current to be together. But to answer your question many people visit their significant other as much as possible. For this those that can't it is just a long hard wait.

How did your boyfriend obtain pregnant residency? Or through marriage or through a qualifying relative?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 06/08/2017 at 2:47 PM, NuestraUnion said:

Yes, if you two are ready then marriage to your boyfriend is the more logical choice.

With him being a PR the process for a disk visa will take approximately 2 years. 

If he naturalize during that time he can upgrade his petition for you and the time will be less. But it still depends how he qualifies for citizenship.

You say he got his green card in 2016. If he is looking at naturalization then it would be bad off of marriage to a US citizen as it is only 3 years. If not then he would not qualify for naturalization until 2021 (5 year rule for permanent resident).

Then reason i bring this up is because it is important to know that if he was previously married to a US citizen and gained permanent residence that way the is a whole nother issue you two face.

Your last question is kind of a tricky one. Most people who are in long distance relationships are flying in F2A or F2B priority dates to come current to be together. But to answer your question many people visit their significant other as much as possible. For this those that can't it is just a long hard wait.

How did your boyfriend obtain pregnant residency? Or through marriage or through a qualifying relative?

He received his PR through work so it will take 5 years for him to see if he can qualify for citizenship. 

How does it work filling out the i-130? Its very difficult to show evidence of living together or having bills with both names. Im guessing postcards, plane tickets, emails + texts, wedding photos with both families will have to do.

Thanks for the reply!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
16 hours ago, annaswe said:

He received his PR through work so it will take 5 years for him to see if he can qualify for citizenship. 

How does it work filling out the i-130? Its very difficult to show evidence of living together or having bills with both names. Im guessing postcards, plane tickets, emails + texts, wedding photos with both families will have to do.

Thanks for the reply!

Search in google for evidence of bonafide relationship for immigration purpose spousal visa, you will find tons of information and advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.