11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi Folks...new member here with some questions. Let me explain a little bit of what is going on with my spouse and I.

We are a gay couple and filed our paperwork in September, 2013. We still do not have a decision yet. However, we did get a Notice of Intent to Deny(NOID), in March of 2015. We hired an immigration attorney and Timely filed our RFE paperwork along with brief and psychological report for the AWA issue and all other required evidence that USCIS wanted. In July of 2017,(last month), we received a Notice of Interview for our I-485. There is still no decision on the I-130(AWA Issue). We contacted our attorney and he contacted the USCIS office and they told him that there is no log of any activity made on our case since 2013(when we first filed it), because there is a disconnect between what is contained in the physical file, where a log of case work is kept, and the online database. The USCIS officer could only find the online database information. Sounds like no one has worked on our case at all almost. The USCIS officer recommended to our attorney that we do an Infopass and take all the files with us and proof of delivery and ask what the status of the case is.

Our question to the forum is: Should we just go to the Interview as others have done and who have received their Green Cards without having the AWA(I-130), issued decided first and who then had their I-130 approved within days after receiving their Green Card granted...Or should we do the Infopass and take all the records with us to see what happens?

Is there anybody out there who has had a similar experience?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

go to the interview unless you have a piece of paper saying it was canceled. nothing good ever comes from missing an interview. the i485 and i130 are two separate petitions and both must be approved to get a green card. the i130 shows you are eligible for a green card and the i485 gives you the green card. it is possible to pass the i485 interview but not get a green card because the i130 was denied. however it would be odd that they would even give you an i485 interview if they had not approved or intend to approve your i130.

They will likely be adjudicated together. 

As you are probably aware, most I-130s subject to the AWA are denied. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline
1 hour ago, f f said:

go to the interview unless you have a piece of paper saying it was canceled. nothing good ever comes from missing an interview. the i485 and i130 are two separate petitions and both must be approved to get a green card. the i130 shows you are eligible for a green card and the i485 gives you the green card. it is possible to pass the i485 interview but not get a green card because the i130 was denied. however it would be odd that they would even give you an i485 interview if they had not approved or intend to approve your i130.

I agree...nothing good comes from missing an interview. Thank you so much for your input. I also think it would be very odd to grant the I485 interview and then deny the I-130.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, GC2010 said:

go to the interview, my i-130 didnt get approve until after my interview when my i-485 is approve

Thank you for your information. Can you tell me a little about the questions they asked you at the interview.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

They will likely be adjudicated together. 

As you are probably aware, most I-130s subject to the AWA are denied. 

From what I have read, I also think they will be decided together. Yes, I am aware that alot of AWA I-130's get denied. We are ready for that. Thanks for your input today. I appreciate that.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, Gran66 said:

Thank you for your information. Can you tell me a little about the questions they asked you at the interview.

the only thing she ask me was my name then tell she going to approve my application and i should look out for my green card in 30 days, and a week from that date i got approval letter in the mail for i-130 then 2 weeks after i get green card in the mail

Timeline
On 8/5/2017 at 5:43 PM, GC2010 said:

the only thing she ask me was my name then tell she going to approve my application and i should look out for my green card in 30 days, and a week from that date i got approval letter in the mail for i-130 then 2 weeks after i get green card in the mail

Thank you very much for your reply last Saturday. 3 more weeks and we will see what happens.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/7/2017 at 11:04 AM, Gran66 said:

Thank you very much for your reply last Saturday. 3 more weeks and we will see what happens.

wish yall all the best, it anit as bad as most people make it seem ,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.