TerrenceR

Sputum Results

147 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It has been 64 days since my fiancée had her sputum collected. When she had her sputum collected, she was given a follow-up appointment for another chest x-ray on July 31. Since I have heard that you can receive the results after 60 days is up, I asked her to call and email SLEC. They will not give her a result of the culture.

Their email stated "Due to confidentiality and security reasons we are not allowed to divulge results through phone or emails. Based on our file, you are scheduled to come back on July 31, 2017 for a repeat Chest X-ray, you may inquire on that day the result of your MTB culture. Kindly proceed to the Pulmonary Department at the 2nd Floor and submit your return slip to the nurse assigned on that day."

I have always heard that no news is good news when it comes to the sputum culture, but honestly, I want to move forward with plans of her coming to the U.S.

Is it normal to have a follow-up appointment for a chest x-ray? It seems that it would be common since she was given these instructions during the sputum collection.

Do you think it is likely there is still an issue with the sputum results and they will actually have her fly to Manila (for the third time with this experience) to find out that she would need the six month treatment or follow-up appointment?

They don't make it easy for us. Unfortunately, some of us don't have unlimited vacation days or money. It would be nice to have some kind of certainty during this experience.

Thanks for any advice/answers provided in advance!

2 hours ago, TerrenceR said:

It has been 64 days since my fiancée had her sputum collected. When she had her sputum collected, she was given a follow-up appointment for another chest x-ray on July 31. Since I have heard that you can receive the results after 60 days is up, I asked her to call and email SLEC. They will not give her a result of the culture.

Their email stated "Due to confidentiality and security reasons we are not allowed to divulge results through phone or emails. Based on our file, you are scheduled to come back on July 31, 2017 for a repeat Chest X-ray, you may inquire on that day the result of your MTB culture. Kindly proceed to the Pulmonary Department at the 2nd Floor and submit your return slip to the nurse assigned on that day."

I have always heard that no news is good news when it comes to the sputum culture, but honestly, I want to move forward with plans of her coming to the U.S.

Is it normal to have a follow-up appointment for a chest x-ray? It seems that it would be common since she was given these instructions during the sputum collection.

Do you think it is likely there is still an issue with the sputum results and they will actually have her fly to Manila (for the third time with this experience) to find out that she would need the six month treatment or follow-up appointment?

They don't make it easy for us. Unfortunately, some of us don't have unlimited vacation days or money. It would be nice to have some kind of certainty during this experience.

Thanks for any advice/answers provided in advance!

This a difficult time in your processing. Unfortunately you have to follow their requirements and instructions. Nothing you can say or do to change their minds or to single out your case above others. Recommend you follow their instructions and just bite the bullet. Do not purchase airline tickets until you have the visa in hand. Keep the faith and be strong. Remember that TB can kill so if you find it early its curriable.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

This a difficult time in your processing. Unfortunately you have to follow their requirements and instructions. Nothing you can say or do to change their minds or to single out your case above others. Recommend you follow their instructions and just bite the bullet. Do not purchase airline tickets until you have the visa in hand. Keep the faith and be strong. Remember that TB can kill so if you find it early its curriable.

Thanks for the response!

I understand what you're saying and I'm not expecting any type of preferential treatment from SLEC/USEM. I am just trying to find out if this is the normal process. I have heard that people have been able to get the results before going there in the past. I had to purchase her ticket going there and her ticket returning to Cebu for this result. We will find out in a few days, but I guess I was just looking for some type of peace of mind.

I have gotten the airline tickets for me to go there and return with my fiancée, and my daughter. They were booked with award miles and can be changed at no fee, so I'm not too stressed about that.

This is very much a normal process for SLEC when it comes to the steps to a clear TB. It comes in three steps.  If you pass a step then there is no need to forward with then next.

Step 1 is the initial xray at SLEC

Step 2 is the Sputum Test

Step 3 is DOT

Here is a link about an earlier TB discussion 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

This is very much a normal process for SLEC when it comes to the steps to a clear TB. It comes in three steps.  If you pass a step then there is no need to forward with then next.

Step 1 is the initial xray at SLEC

Step 2 is the Sputum Test

Step 3 is DOT

Here is a link about an earlier TB discussion 

I am going to assume we are good, then. It has been over 60 days and no phone call has been received. This is even if they do phone calls anymore. If you see the email in my original post from SLEC, they won't give results through phone or email. I was trying to find out if anything changed. I definitely know what the TB process is I have a personal friend who went through the six month testing process.

Timeline

I have been flagged for the sputum test too and I'm on my 4th week. My 8th week is on the 22nd of August and every single day I'm dreading getting a phone call. It's honestly stressing me out. I hope your fiance gets a negative result. Fingers crossed. I will be following you as your fiance and I still have a long road ahead until POE. My i-129f will expire on September 9 and I most like wont get an interview before then. I read on here that after cancelling an interview schedule you have to reactivate it first. Sadly that post never got any traction and the OP never came back with update too. I will be calling the embassy about it sometime next week. 

3 minutes ago, notantifun said:

I have been flagged for the sputum test too and I'm on my 4th week. My 8th week is on the 22nd of August and every single day I'm dreading getting a phone call. It's honestly stressing me out. I hope your fiance gets a negative result. Fingers crossed. I will be following you as your fiance and I still have a long road ahead until POE. My i-129f will expire on September 9 and I most like wont get an interview before then. I read on here that after cancelling an interview schedule you have to reactivate it first. Sadly that post never got any traction and the OP never came back with update too. I will be calling the embassy about it sometime next week. 

Send a PM to Hank_ (yes use the underscore at the end of his name) and He can enlighten you on your next steps. Relax. There many people that can help you here but you have to trust. Calling the Embassy for anything you're unsure about many times will confuse you even more. Take a deep breath.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
3 minutes ago, notantifun said:

It's been just over nine weeks for us. Did you get a follow-up appointment for another chest x-ray? I'm not too sure what you're talking about with the reactivation. I canceled my original appointment for the interview and just scheduled another one. Why are you calling the Embassy?

5 hours ago, TerrenceR said:

I am going to assume we are good, then. It has been over 60 days and no phone call has been received. This is even if they do phone calls anymore. If you see the email in my original post from SLEC, they won't give results through phone or email. I was trying to find out if anything changed. I definitely know what the TB process is I have a personal friend who went through the six month testing process.

Ok. Since I didn't know the depth of your knowledge I'll assume you know the procedure as your friend will enlighten you. :whistle:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
Just now, Greenbaum said:

Ok. Since I didn't know the depth of your knowledge I'll assume you know the procedure as your friend will enlighten you. :whistle:

I guess I'm just trying to find if there has been an update (maybe in 2017) where they no longer call you regarding a positive test. I know that you are an expert in this stuff but hoping somebody might have a recent experience. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way or didn't make sense.

1 minute ago, TerrenceR said:

I guess I'm just trying to find if there has been an update (maybe in 2017) where they no longer call you regarding a positive test. I know that you are an expert in this stuff but hoping somebody might have a recent experience. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way or didn't make sense.

At one time you could call SLEC and they would give you the answer but from what you are thinking and your experience, it very will does seem they have changed their policy. You're the first to indicate such a condition. I will have to let someone else give you the "official word" if there has been one.  You may want to PM Hank_ as he is very knowledgeable in this area. He is usually here responding but haven't see him in a day or so. He may be traveling back to the States from the Philippines.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

At one time you could call SLEC and they would give you the answer but from what you are thinking and your experience, it very will does seem they have changed their policy. You're the first to indicate such a condition. I will have to let someone else give you the "official word" if there has been one.  You may want to PM Hank_ as he is very knowledgeable in this area. He is usually here responding but haven't see him in a day or so. He may be traveling back to the States from the Philippines.

Thanks, I will try that. Will update after her medical appointment on Monday.

Edited by TerrenceR

Timeline
51 minutes ago, TerrenceR said:

It's been just over nine weeks for us. Did you get a follow-up appointment for another chest x-ray? I'm not too sure what you're talking about with the reactivation. I canceled my original appointment for the interview and just scheduled another one. Why are you calling the Embassy?

After the 3 day sputum test during the pulmonary evaluation I was just given instructions when to call back to check on my culture result. I wasn't told anything about doing another chest xray. I'm also not sure what the reactivation is for. I nee to call the embassy for extension of my i-129f.

Timeline
55 minutes ago, TerrenceR said:

When I did my sputum test (just last month) and while waiting I've a guy who got a phone call from SLEC and was told to report the next day. He was not informed anything. He was waiting for the result of his sputum test too.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, notantifun said:

After the 3 day sputum test during the pulmonary evaluation I was just given instructions when to call back to check on my culture result. I wasn't told anything about doing another chest xray. I'm also not sure what the reactivation is for. I nee to call the embassy for extension of my i-129f.

It's a little strange to me that they give people different instructions. I saw the slip that my fiancée has and there is an option to call back, but that wasn't marked for her. Thanks for the update and I'll update this post again soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.