Shawn119

Possibility of Divorce soon after oath ceremony

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I Have my oath ceremony by the end of this week. I applied under the 3 year rule i.e. married to a USC. All my interviews went smooth, since my wife and i had really good financial commingling, house and taxes together etc. however, over the past couple of weeks we are having major issues and there is a possibility that we will separate and possibility file for divorce.

At the moment We are still living together, My wife will be coming with my for the oath ceremony and all the questions asked on the back of the letter, will be answered honestly since, we still live together under one roof. 

My question is if we ended up separating and/or filing for divorce, soon after the ceremony,  will it endanger my citizenship if I'm newly naturalized ?

I'll greatly appreciate if anyone can share their knowledge/experience regarding his matter. Thanks in advance. 

P.S separation/divorce is a worst possibility. It could happen that we end up living together forever or separate soon. We are both visiting marriage counselor since last week and trying to work things out. 

Well try not to jump to conclusions on the divorce. Try to work it out. 

You have to be honest with immigration if they ask anything about your marriage and you lie you could have your citizenship revoked. 

Technically, you're still married, but it seems like you are saying the marriage is over already. Try working it out instead of being negative. 

Hi, thanks for the reply and look like you may have missed to read the P.S section. We are working towards it. But hypothetical situation, let's say someone gets his/her citizenship through a legit marriage using 3 year rule and due to unfortunately reasons, files for divorce soon after the ceremony with no lies or fraud involved, could this affect the citizenship ?

Filed: Timeline
17 minutes ago, Shawn119 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply and look like you may have missed to read the P.S section. We are working towards it. But hypothetical situation, let's say someone gets his/her citizenship through a legit marriage using 3 year rule and due to unfortunately reasons, files for divorce soon after the ceremony with no lies or fraud involved, could this affect the citizenship ?

this is somewhat subjective. not revealing the truth can be considered lying.

when you use the 3-year rule, you are basically attesting that your marriage is ongoing. if you already know its over, then can you really attest to that? 

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Ok I know what u mean but legally the marriage is still valid and emotions does not matter at this points as I mentioned this could end either way i.e., we may end up together or get divorced. And I'm sure, at the ceremony,  io is not going to care if I tell him we are still living together not separated or divorced, but we are having verbal arguments and visiting marriage counselor which is the truth and I don't mind revealing it to the io if he asks. But I can't just not show up to the ceremony because I think we are going to rough patch and not sure what will be the result. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.