Luz Gonzalez

My husband got TN visa my children and I TD want to stay What visa do we request next???

44 posts in this topic

Filed: TD Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband was hired to work for an American company that requested a TN visa for him and TD visas for my children and I. We would like to become citizens but have no idea where to begin. Can you help us???

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I had a co-worker from Mexico on a TN visa a few years ago and he mentioned the TN visa would not allow him to apply for U.S. residency and subsequently U.S. citizenship. I'm not sure if the rule have changed since then. However, he should seek the possibility of applying for an H1-B work visa, but he will need the help of his employer.

Filed: TD Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since my husband got a TN visa I got a TD visa that does not aloud me to get a job. I studied a degree in tourism, I worked in travel agencies and hotels and I liked doing that but What I love the most is teaching, I was teaching English in Mexico for the last 8 years, I would love to teach Spanish in America. Even when my husband has a good job our family needs to think about savings, we arrived here with no clothes, no furniture, we still can't get credit so there are things that we can't buy (basic things, I don't mean luxurious things) we are struggling a little bit, I need to help. Is there anything I can do with my visa status in order to get a job????

You can only try to get another visa. But nobody is going to do a visa for you for teaching, particularly if you don't have a degree for teaching/education.

Moreover, a Licenciatura in Tourism is not within the TN visa careers. To be a teacher and get a TN visa you need a Licenciatura, but your studies are not in teaching/education. 

If you are not happy you should talk to your husband about going back to Mexico. The only thing you can do with a TD visa is study but if you are having problems with money then that would be hard because studying is expensive. 

24 minutes ago, monica7777 said:

he should seek the possibility of applying for an H1-B work visa, but he will need the help of his employer.

All possible H1B visas have been awarded for the year. The next opportunity is April 2018. 

But if you want to work, on H4 visa (dependent of H1B), you might not be allowed to work. Only some spouses can work and I am not sure how that is determined. Also, the wait for a green card through job for Mexicans is very long. A friend told me he had to wait like 7 years. The time can be lower if your husband has a Masters degree or a PhD.

Edit: I think people from India have to wait 7 years, maybe for Mexico is a bit less but still it is at least 4-5 years.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Luz Gonzalez said:

Since my husband got a TN visa I got a TD visa that does not aloud me to get a job. I studied a degree in tourism, I worked in travel agencies and hotels and I liked doing that but What I love the most is teaching, I was teaching English in Mexico for the last 8 years, I would love to teach Spanish in America. Even when my husband has a good job our family needs to think about savings, we arrived here with no clothes, no furniture, we still can't get credit so there are things that we can't buy (basic things, I don't mean luxurious things) we are struggling a little bit, I need to help. Is there anything I can do with my visa status in order to get a job????

Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately if the TD visa does not allow you to work, you will not be able to work in the U.S. legally. It will take your husband a year to build credit. After he files his first tax return, he should be able to obtain a credit card. If you say your husband has a good job, try to manage your finances the best way possible for you and your family. Takes time to adjust to a new country, new system, new city, new home, etc. Just be patient and who knows, maybe in the future other opportunities may come up where you least expect it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Just to add - H-1B as suggested above - also is a non-immigrant visa (dual intent though which really doesn't mean anything) and does not provide any path to permanent residency, not speaking of citizenship.

OP - there is no visa you can apply for. You - or you husband - can seek a job from a company that would sponsor you / him for a EB-category (Employment Based) green card.

Timeline
1 hour ago, kzielu said:

Just to add - H-1B as suggested above - also is a non-immigrant visa (dual intent though which really doesn't mean anything) and does not provide any path to permanent residency, not speaking of citizenship.

kzielu,

I have co-workers who worked in the U.S. under H1B visas and were viable for a GC after several years. I agree it is intended for specialized technical skills that aren't able to be found domestically, but it can lead to U.S. residency.

H1B visa holders can stay and work in the United States for a maximum of 6 years. Once they have reached their 6-year limit, H1B employees may either return to their home country or apply for permanent residency, also known as a Green Card, and begin the H1B to green card process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, monica7777 said:

kzielu,

I have co-workers who worked in the U.S. under H1B visas and were viable for a GC after several years. I agree it is intended for specialized technical skills that aren't able to be found domestically, but it can lead to U.S. residency.

H1B visa holders can stay and work in the United States for a maximum of 6 years. Once they have reached their 6-year limit, H1B employees may either return to their home country or apply for permanent residency, also known as a Green Card, and begin the H1B to green card process.

Sorry to tell but this is incorrect. After H-1B expires they have to be petitioned (by employer, spouse ) or go home.

There is now way to apply for residency just because you spent certain amount of time in US on some kind of non immigrant visa - it's a common myth unfortunately being spread by people who don't quite know what they're talking about.

Way to apply yourself for employment based residency is EB-2 NIW ( National interest waiver) but it has nothing to do with H-1B or spending time in US and does not apply in OPs case.

(For full disclosure - I came to US on a work visa so have a little bit of knowledge of them)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The obvious solution is for your Husband to discuss this with his Employer and see if they will sponsor you for a GC, or find another Employer who will.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The obvious solution is for your Husband to discuss this with his Employer and see if they will sponsor you for a GC, or find another Employer who will.

But they have a TN so first they have to change to another visa. If they apply or even show intent to apply for a GC they will revoque their TN. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

But they have a TN so first they have to change to another visa. If they apply or even show intent to apply for a GC they will revoque their TN. 

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.