Charro

NYC interview experience. February 2017 filer.

8 posts in this topic

Interview done Thursday July 20th with lovely female officer. Got there 2 hours early. Had lunch at McDonald's, then went into uscis office ( 26 federal plaza). Went in around 1:30. Appt was at 2:35. I actually went in early for a few reasons , to get to a bathroom , to find somewhere to charge my phone and to get somewhere that's cool. 😁 It was so hot yesterday and I didn't dress with that in mind. 🙄 Went through security easily and once I got to the actual room there was hardly anyone there. Maybe 15-20 people. I got checked in and was told to go to door 2 to wait to hear my number. Hunted for an outlet to charge my phone and finished up going over the civic test questions while watching / listening to the OJ Simpson parole hearing. Couldn't understand why that was even televised. Anyway it helped keep my mind off things a bit. I got called in around 2:10 and was a tad flustered as I wasn't expecting to be called in so early plus I was caught up with OJ. 😁

Officer brought me in had me swear in and asked for my GC, state ID and all passports. Once all was verified, she went straight to the application. She went over the application line by line, page by page. Every question is read to you to comfirm that all was true. And it was done pretty quickly too. If English isn't your first language and you still have a hard time with understanding English this format / quick pace may be a problem.  I was nervous initially but she was such a sweet easy going person that that feeling dissipated very quickly. 

As she read through the questions she would mark off in red if what you said was in agreement with what was on the application. Once we got to " detained , cited ..." I paused and told her I marked no but could have been wrong as I had a ticket for "not stopping " at one of those " after stop , you can make right on red signs" near our apartment. Btw I did stop but Police officer claims it was a rolling stop.

She changed  my "No" answer to red " Yes" and asked when it occurred. I only had a vague idea as to when as it was maybe 13 years ago. She wanted to know the date. If I went to court . She needed some kind of date to put on the application. So she asked if I remembered if it was hot or cold day etc.  , how much was ticket. I asked if the ticket was a problem she said "no not with them. " 🤔Not sure what that meant. Had to read something then write. I think the statement was. "Canada is north of United States. "  Again if you do not comprehend or read English this part can also be a problem. She said "on line #2 please write ...."  And the paper has three spaces numbered 1-3. So it is very important that the applicant comprehends English. And also knows how to read well and follow instructions. Once that was finished , we went through the civic questions . Passed the first 6. She did ask for passport pics. Luckily I had them. They were not good pics. 🙈The ones they took at biometrics were even worse. She showed me  🙈🙈 She said they would use those and would only use the ones I brought in if the biometric pics didn't print. She said I passed and handed me a paper and was asked to follow her out so that she could make copies of my passport. I have a new one since getting my green card. She also got a copy of my birth certificate. I wasn't going to bring that but decided to do so as I remembered that the one they originally had was an old one. My country just recently generated new birth certificates for their citizens. I then noticed on the paper that it said you passed but decision can't be made. I asked if that was an issue she said no. She said "you passed. You are approved. " She said they can't make outright approvals unless certain criteria are met , e.g. Pregnant applicant. Students. I truly didn't understand what she was saying and she must have sensed my slight deflation and confusion as she quickly said " don't worry you are approved. " 

She said the oath letter will be mailed and the ceremony should be next month in Brooklyn at Cadman plaza. 

The take away from my interview :

list your traffic violations on your application as they are citations and if you didn't  when you sent in the original application ,remember to bring it up during the interview and bring your driving record. That's just my two cents.

Bring 2 passport pics. 

And the interview isn't as bad as you might think. 

Good luck to all! 

3 minutes ago, Charro said:

Interview done Thursday July 20th with lovely female officer. Got there 2 hours early. Had lunch at McDonald's, then went into uscis office ( 26 federal plaza). Went in around 1:30. Appt was at 2:35. I actually went in early for a few reasons , to get to a bathroom , to find somewhere to charge my phone and to get somewhere that's cool. 😁 It was so hot yesterday and I didn't dress with that in mind. 🙄 Went through security easily and once I got to the actual room there was hardly anyone there. Maybe 15-20 people. I got checked in and was told to go to door 2 to wait to hear my number. Hunted for an outlet to charge my phone and finished up going over the civic test questions while watching / listening to the OJ Simpson parole hearing. Couldn't understand why that was even televised. Anyway it helped keep my mind off things a bit. I got called in around 2:10 and was a tad flustered as I wasn't expecting to be called in so early plus I was caught up with OJ. 😁

Officer brought me in had me swear in and asked for my GC, state ID and all passports. Once all was verified, she went straight to the application. She went over the application line by line, page by page. Every question is read to you to comfirm that all was true. And it was done pretty quickly too. If English isn't your first language and you still have a hard time with understanding English this format / quick pace may be a problem.  I was nervous initially but she was such a sweet easy going person that that feeling dissipated very quickly. 

As she read through the questions she would mark off in red if what you said was in agreement with what was on the application. Once we got to " detained , cited ..." I paused and told her I marked no but could have been wrong as I had a ticket for "not stopping " at one of those " after stop , you can make right on red signs" near our apartment. Btw I did stop but Police officer claims it was a rolling stop.

She changed  my "No" answer to red " Yes" and asked when it occurred. I only had a vague idea as to when as it was maybe 13 years ago. She wanted to know the date. If I went to court . She needed some kind of date to put on the application. So she asked if I remembered if it was hot or cold day etc.  , how much was ticket. I asked if the ticket was a problem she said "no not with them. " 🤔Not sure what that meant. Had to read something then write. I think the statement was. "Canada is north of United States. "  Again if you do not comprehend or read English this part can also be a problem. She said "on line #2 please write ...."  And the paper has three spaces numbered 1-3. So it is very important that the applicant comprehends English. And also knows how to read well and follow instructions. Once that was finished , we went through the civic questions . Passed the first 6. She did ask for passport pics. Luckily I had them. They were not good pics. 🙈The ones they took at biometrics were even worse. She showed me  🙈🙈 She said they would use those and would only use the ones I brought in if the biometric pics didn't print. She said I passed and handed me a paper and was asked to follow her out so that she could make copies of my passport. I have a new one since getting my green card. She also got a copy of my birth certificate. I wasn't going to bring that but decided to do so as I remembered that the one they originally had was an old one. My country just recently generated new birth certificates for their citizens. I then noticed on the paper that it said you passed but decision can't be made. I asked if that was an issue she said no. She said "you passed. You are approved. " She said they can't make outright approvals unless certain criteria are met , e.g. Pregnant applicant. Students. I truly didn't understand what she was saying and she must have sensed my slight deflation and confusion as she quickly said " don't worry you are approved. " 

She said the oath letter will be mailed and the ceremony should be next month in Brooklyn at Cadman plaza. 

The take away from my interview :

list your traffic violations on your application as they are citations and if you didn't  when you sent in the original application ,remember to bring it up during the interview and bring your driving record. That's just my two cents.

Bring 2 passport pics. 

And the interview isn't as bad as you might think. 

Good luck to all! 

Congratulations!!! I had my interview the day before yours (19th) at Federal Plaza as a November filer and I also had a very positive experience :)Now I'm just waiting for the online status to change to in line for oath/oath scheduled. Congrats again! We're almost there.

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Charro congrats!  My parents were born in Trinidad, btw :) 

What was the amount of time between your fingerprinting and being in line for the interview...and then amount of time between being in line and the actual interview date?  Just trying to get a feel for things...

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 hours ago, Going through said:

@Charro congrats!  My parents were born in Trinidad, btw :) 

What was the amount of time between your fingerprinting and being in line for the interview...and then amount of time between being in line and the actual interview date?  Just trying to get a feel for things...

@Going through thank you! And I can safely say your parents are def the sweetest people ever. Bring trini  and all. 😁 I had my fingerprints in march and I went a few days before the actual appointment due to my work schedule. I went in line in late March/ early April I think then got a message in June that an interview was scheduled, got the letter for the date June 19th for the July 20th date. @march16filerwas excellent  at predicting when my interview date might be too. He said either the 21st or very close and it was the 20th. Amazing right ! I think the key to this is to not focus too much attention on it cause it can drive you insane. I was totally prepared for an interview being in September/ October so it was a surprise when i got July. 

Best of luck to you! 👍🏽👍🏽

4 hours ago, EV11 said:

Congratulations!!! I had my interview the day before yours (19th) at Federal Plaza as a November filer and I also had a very positive experience :)Now I'm just waiting for the online status to change to in line for oath/oath scheduled. Congrats again! We're almost there.

Thanks @EV11  Yes now waiting to get that last notification / letter. The light at the end of the tunnel. 😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Charro said:

@Going through thank you! And I can safely say your parents are def the sweetest people ever. Bring trini  and all. 😁 I had my fingerprints in march and I went a few days before the actual appointment due to my work schedule. I went in line in late March/ early April I think then got a message in June that an interview was scheduled, got the letter for the date June 19th for the July 20th date. @march16filerwas excellent  at predicting when my interview date might be too. He said either the 21st or very close and it was the 20th. Amazing right ! I think the key to this is to not focus too much attention on it cause it can drive you insane. I was totally prepared for an interview being in September/ October so it was a surprise when i got July. 

Best of luck to you! 👍🏽👍🏽

Thanks for the info!  I want to take a short vacation in Canada inbetween fingerprints and interview so I'm just trying to average out the wait times as much as I can. :) 

And I have to say...Trinidad offers the best food in the world in my opinion....

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations. I just had my IR1 interview yesterday. Can't believe how fast I was approved. After nearly a year of waiting it was almost anti-climactic. Anyway, now I'm on that three-year road to citizenship. I'm so proud to be here, you have no idea. First thing I did when I arrived was buy a flag and hang it out on our condo sunroom. 

Yeah, I know, we've only moved from CANADA. But my USC/Cdn wife has wanted to come here so badly. She was getting so frustrated with the process.

When I made the second of two U-Haul trips from Niagara Falls down to Orlando (alone on that second trip, I might add), I told the U.S. Customs officer, "I told my wife's aunt (the co-sponsor) I can't wait to be an American." Sounds, trite. But it's true. 

I promised my wife and her aunt...three years from today, I will be an American, too. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.