TearsOfBabylon

DS-160: Question about visa in the past (Germany)

19 posts in this topic

Hey Fellows! :)

I'm about to finish filing my DS-160, but I'm stuck with one thing, which I'd be really glad to receive help for.

Question in DS-160, in the section where you have to list your US trips until now:

"Have you ever been issued a U.S. Visa?"

I was in the US for vacation with my mom when I was 3,5 years old.
Back in the day there was no ESTA, because that was 1983, so we had tourist visa or anything like that.

So I check the box with "yes".

BUT: The following box wants me to submit the date the visa was issued. I have no clue about that, and neither does my mom. :(

I know the exact flight date... can I put that as issue date for the visa, or is there any way I can find out about it?

I don't want to be in delay or trouble just because of a missing 34 year old info.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you - and have a good day! :)

Approximation works fine. Besides it's 34 years ago :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

2 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Approximation works fine. Besides it's 34 years ago :)

Thank you, dear! :)
I was assuming that as well... but not sure! 
I've got 34 year old tickets (hand written haha), boarding passes and an itinerary here (thanks to my mom never throwing things away), but nothing about a visa. And she can't even remember we had one, hehe! :) 

Just now, TearsOfBabylon said:

Thank you, dear! :)
I was assuming that as well... but not sure! 
I've got 34 year old tickets (hand written haha), boarding passes and an itinerary here (thanks to my mom never throwing things away), but nothing about a visa. And she can't even remember we had one, hehe! :) 

It shouldn't be a problem :) Good luck with your K-1 interview (F)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

2 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

It shouldn't be a problem :) Good luck with your K-1 interview (F)

Thank you! I hope it's gonna happen soon! Just waiting for Pack 3 now, and for Scott's documents in the mail! :)

2 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

West Germany joined in 1989, so you must have had a tourist visa. Go with as close as you can and explain if there is comment field.

Dankjewel and greetings over to Norfolk! I'll be around the corner in Newport News! :) 
Yeah, we must have. I've checked this old itinerary, and it said there's no way to fly without a visa. So I guess the travel agency made that for my mom and me, because she has no clue!

There's no comment field, but I'll submit the same date as for the flight back then and hope they'll be fine!

3 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

It will be fine, and there is normally time to explain during the interview.

Haven't used German in a while so no German greeting :D

No worries, I keep pretending my Dutch is good, but mostly I say SPRUITEN to impress people and then change topic! Haha!
You guys are having 38°C announced for tomorrow? My better half is whining already!
How are you handling the climate? I'm scared of it haha

4 minutes ago, TearsOfBabylon said:

No worries, I keep pretending my Dutch is good, but mostly I say SPRUITEN to impress people and then change topic! Haha!
You guys are having 38°C announced for tomorrow? My better half is whining already!
How are you handling the climate? I'm scared of it haha

Climate is fine, takes about 3 months to get used to. The AC dying 2 days ago is not fun.

11 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

Climate is fine, takes about 3 months to get used to. The AC dying 2 days ago is not fun.

Oh heck, poor you!

I will try to fly on September 8th, and although it's time to finally see this guy I love so much again, I'm not mad for skipping this Virginian summer. No way to escape next year though! :) 

Oh, since you've been through that @Fr8dog: Is it true that we just have to go for a vision test to get the Virginian drivers license? Where did you go for that?

Assuming you hold a German license, you're in for a treat. Vision test and I believe the written part only (check Virginia DMV site for exact rules). Both are done at the local DMV. I was forced to undergo the whole exam since the Dutch government didn't want to sign the treaty.

Unrelated, try to avoid flights into Norfolk, your significant other will appreciate not having to drive across the HBRT :jest:

1 hour ago, TearsOfBabylon said:

Hey Fellows! :)

I'm about to finish filing my DS-160, but I'm stuck with one thing, which I'd be really glad to receive help for.

Question in DS-160, in the section where you have to list your US trips until now:

"Have you ever been issued a U.S. Visa?"

I was in the US for vacation with my mom when I was 3,5 years old.
Back in the day there was no ESTA, because that was 1983, so we had tourist visa or anything like that.

So I check the box with "yes".

BUT: The following box wants me to submit the date the visa was issued. I have no clue about that, and neither does my mom. :(

I know the exact flight date... can I put that as issue date for the visa, or is there any way I can find out about it?

I don't want to be in delay or trouble just because of a missing 34 year old info.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you - and have a good day! :)

For this question I left it blank even though I have esta for Uk,have I filled it correctly or made a mistake 😵

Just now, GazLisa said:

For this question I left it blank even though I have esta for Uk,have I filled it correctly or made a mistake 😵

It doesn't let me leave it blank :(

18 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

Assuming you hold a German license, you're in for a treat. Vision test and I believe the written part only (check Virginia DMV site for exact rules). Both are done at the local DMV. I was forced to undergo the whole exam since the Dutch government didn't want to sign the treaty.

Unrelated, try to avoid flights into Norfolk, your significant other will appreciate not having to drive across the HBRT :jest:

Haha yeah, he picked me up there twice!
But this upcoming one will be Hamburg - Rejkjavik - Boston - Richmond.
The one ways to Richmond are super cheap! :)

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a treat?
Yeah, I have a German one!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.