evoria

Unconfirmed Son of U.S. citizen

76 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Prior to coming to the US a girl accused my Husband of being her son's father.  We were already married, I was in the US.  My husband has since become a US citizen and the girl 3 years ago dropped the child off at my mother-in-laws and she has never been heard from again.  My sister-in-law has been raising him, however she is not well.  If something happens to her he will be in the street or in a orphanage.      I want to bring him to the US.  I am not sure how to proceed.  We can say he is my husband's son however I am sure they will request a DNA because he was born after or no soon after we were married.  If the DNA test proves he is not then there is no way to get him here because he is not family. So question, should my husband get a custody document and we say son and pray they will not request a DNA, or can someone offer a better solution? 

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Perhaps the first thing to mention s the VJ ToS, my Bible, it should be yours.

Find out if the child is his, if the child is there are options. Your consulate in particular has heard it all so they are going to want to see the evidence. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

What is the best way to do the DNA test.  Should I use the center set up for regular immigration tests?  My concern is if it his not his, where does that leave the child?  It just seems very sad, especially God forbid, something happens to my sister-in-law.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Timeline

I do not know if your SIL has children but the situation would be identical if she does. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
8 minutes ago, evoria said:

What is the best way to do the DNA test.  Should I use the center set up for regular immigration tests?  My concern is if it his not his, where does that leave the child?  It just seems very sad, especially God forbid, something happens to my sister-in-law.

Bless you! If it turns out the child is not his, is adoption a possibility? How old is the child?

N-400 Timeline

• 2020.03.08 -- Naturalization filing window opened
  • 2020.03.09 -- N-400 filed and feed paid online
  • 2020.03.14 -- Email/Text notifications received that biometrics appt scheduled
  • 2020.03.14 -- NOA of case receipt received via USPS
  • 2020.03.20 -- Biometrics appointment notification received via USPS
  • 2020.03.30 -- Received email notification that biometrics appt scheduled for April 2 canceled due to Covid19
  • 2020.04.02 -- Biometrics scheduled for 1:00 PM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.08.07 -- Myuscis update: biometrics being reused
  • 2020.08.14 -- NOA of biometrics reuse received via USPS
  • 2020.09.30 -- E-notifications received that interview has been scheduled
  • 2020.11.05 -- N-400 interview scheduled for 12:45 PM
  • 2020.11.05 -- Citizenship approved and oath administered! 

ROC Timeline

• 2019.03.08 -- ROC 90-Day Filing Window Opened
  • 2019.03.08 -- Mailed 1-751 and G-1145 to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 and G-1145 delivered to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 official submission date
  • 2019.03.15 -- I-797 (NOA 1)  LIN=Nebraska Service Center
  • 2019.03.18 -- Text message notification received: file receipt confirmation || Check for application + biometrics fees processed
  • 2019.03.18 -- NOA1 received via USPS (18-month Green Card extension)
  • 2019.09.06 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice date
  • 2019.09.13 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice receive (via USPS)
  • 2019.09.20 -- Biometrics (walk in) … originally scheduled for 2019.09.26 @ 9:00 AM 
  • 2020.03.10 -- E-notification that interview appointment scheduled
  • 2020.03.16 -- Interview appt notification receive via USPS
  • 2020.04.14 -- Interview scheduled for 7:30 AM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "New Card Is Being Produced"  and will be mailed
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "Case Approved"
  • 2020.05.26 -- I-797 NOA received via USPS Approval Notice
  • 2020.05.27 -- App status updated to "Card Was Mailed to Me"
  • 2020.05.28 -- App status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"; USPS tracking app shows expected delivery date of June 1, 2020
  • 2020.05.29 -- Permanent Green Card received via USPS Priority Mail

AOS Timeline

• 2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO
  • 2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)
  • 2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment
  • 2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23
  • 2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received
  • 2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!
  • 2017.06.10 -- 2-YR Green Card received

K-1 Visa Timeline

• 2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS
  • 2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1
  • 2016.06.29 -- NOA
  • 2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC
  • 2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok
  • 2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy
  • 2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH
  • 2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved
  • 2016.09.09 -- Visa Received
  • 2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)
  • 2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NDB052714 said:

Bless you! If it turns out the child is not his, is adoption a possibility? How old is the child?

That would be the next thing.  Adopting from a country like Ghana is complicated add to the fact that no one knows where the mother is.  It is a mess. He is only 5.  I have had to bury a lot of feelings and forgive a lot in this situation.  The bottom line is, none if this is the child's fault.  I wish the girl had just said - "I give him to you take him".  My husband would have signed whatever and the boy would have had options.  As it stands the boy is in limbo.  Now my biggest fear is he is not my husbands child and we will be out of options for him. 

Timeline

I have no idea what the adoption process is in Ghana, your questions seem more focussed on US Immigration.

If he had been given the child can not see how that would have changed things.

Timeline

The best answer to your situation is DNA, you guys must first do  the DNA to find out if the child is really his or not? If it end up the child is not his then you talk to a good lawyer who knows much about immigration. Adoption will be another option but the whole process is very difficult, but one step first the DNA. 

I did my DNA at the US Embassy in Ghana in May 2017 and the DNA is out saying am the biological father so am still waiting for the embassy to contact me.. But case is different from yours....

Timeline
35 minutes ago, jefraylee said:

The best answer to your situation is DNA, you guys must first do  the DNA to find out if the child is really his or not? If it end up the child is not his then you talk to a good lawyer who knows much about immigration. Adoption will be another option but the whole process is very difficult, but one step first the DNA. 

I did my DNA at the US Embassy in Ghana in May 2017 and the DNA is out saying am the biological father so am still waiting for the embassy to contact me.. But case is different from yours....

Thank you.  We will work on getting DNA.  Not sure if you have the information but can you provide the location in Ghana where the boy can be taken or direct me to a proper website?  

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have no idea what the adoption process is in Ghana, your questions seem more focussed on US Immigration.

If he had been given the child can not see how that would have changed things.

I was responding to NDB052714 statement asking if adoption was an option.  My original question was focused on the US immigration process.  We will work on getting a DNA test and move on from there.  As agreed on by jefraylee adoption is difficult but is another option if DNA is not positive but that is another bridge, we will cross them 1 by 1.  Thanks for all the help. 

Is this really on the best interests of the child? Bringing him to a foreign country to live with two complete strangers when he has formed a bond with your sister-in-law (and she presumably with him)? Adoption is a very complex issue. I have been a foster parent in the past and also considered adopting a child. Removing a child from the familiar surroundings should only be done when there is no other option. I suggest you fully research the effect of adopting a child of this age and prepare yourself for the struggles you will have. He won't just step off a plane and into your waiting arms with a smile on his face. He is likely to feel great resentment at being wrenched from his home. There are some great books on the subject - I urge you to read them. If you go ahead with this you have a very tough road ahead. I attended some very good adoption seminars - see if you can find some in your area. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, evoria said:

Prior to coming to the US a girl accused my Husband of being her son's father.  We were already married, I was in the US.  My husband has since become a US citizen and the girl 3 years ago dropped the child off at my mother-in-laws and she has never been heard from again.  My sister-in-law has been raising him, however she is not well.  If something happens to her he will be in the street or in a orphanage.      I want to bring him to the US.  I am not sure how to proceed.  We can say he is my husband's son however I am sure they will request a DNA because he was born after or no soon after we were married.  If the DNA test proves he is not then there is no way to get him here because he is not family. So question, should my husband get a custody document and we say son and pray they will not request a DNA, or can someone offer a better solution? 

If the child was born soon after you got married, then your spouse cheated on you, unless you knew him less than 9 months before getting married.  I am not sure why you say "I pray they don't request a DNA test."  You should get a DNA test to make sure if the child is his or not.  If the child is not his, you need a lawyer.  I think the child needs his real parents.  If thats your spouse then good, but if not then you must find his real parent

Timeline
9 minutes ago, evoria said:

Thank you.  We will work on getting DNA.  Not sure if you have the information but can you provide the location in Ghana where the boy can be taken or direct me to a proper website?  

On the receipt of my DNA it was HOLY TRINITY CLINIC address on it, But you can use the AABB accredited centers for the DNA process though you guys are not recommended by the Embassy to do it, but I believe they have partnership with the HOLY TRINITY CLINIC so the best is to jump on the phone and talk to the clinic for better information.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Is this really on the best interests of the child? Bringing him to a foreign country to live with two complete strangers when he has formed a bond with your sister-in-law (and she presumably with him)? Adoption is a very complex issue. I have been a foster parent in the past and also considered adopting a child. Removing a child from the familiar surroundings should only be done when there is no other option. I suggest you fully research the effect of adopting a child of this age and prepare yourself for the struggles you will have. He won't just step off a plane and into your waiting arms with a smile on his face. He is likely to feel great resentment at being wrenched from his home. There are some great books on the subject - I urge you to read them. If you go ahead with this you have a very tough road ahead. I attended some very good adoption seminars - see if you can find some in your area. 

My sister-in-law is older and it is getting too much for her.  God forbid something happens to her and we will be pulling our hair out trying to find somewhere for the child.  If it is my husbands child, and even if he stays in Ghana he would at least we would be able to get him to the US if there is no one else there to take care of him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.