dm2017

Request for Initial Evidence was mailed

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I am recent graduate of this year and I've applied for my EAD card to the USCIS office. I have waited until 75 days and on the 77th day my status was changed from "Case Received" to "Request for initial evidence was mailed". I have no idea why I'm getting this status. And if this is the case then why they took so long to acknowledge me about the same?

I've called a couple of times to the USCIS center but they didn't tell me anything and I've to wait for their mail to come. Let's say If I get the mail and send them the documents that they need on the next day then, is it possible that they will expedite my process? or do I need wait again for again 70-75 days to get my EAD card?

I have a job offer letter with me and I've already delayed my joining date twice and I've no idea if they will wait for me again. It is just so frustrating and looks like I'll lose everything that I've gained in last 2 years.

Can you please advice me on this situation? Any help would be appreciable...

Thank you!

Did the international office at your university applied on your behalf? They did for me and they had a quick way of contacting them. Also, they will have a better idea of how long it should take because they mail and receive EADs, and have a better idea of how long it takes. It should not take longer than 90 days. 

The request is because you missed something in your application. What could have happened is that they were going to decide your case and realized something was missing. So check that and mail whatever they need as fast as possible.

I think that to request an expedite EAD you have to pay extra and do it from the start. It is not like expedite requests for people that are receiving EAD because they married a US citizen. Plus, at this point, I doubt it will make it any faster.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline

No, international office at my university hasn't applied on behalf of me. Would you advise me to tell my international officer to expedite this process or reach out to USCIS? Is there anything that university officer can do about it? 

When you said it should not take longer than 90 days, what would you mean by that? Will my time cycle start over as it is my initial evidence notice or will it resume it back from the 77th day?

I have also heard that sometimes USCIS send RFEs to expedite your process and they need some reason to expedite it. Is it true?

Regards,

Dhruv

38 minutes ago, dm2017 said:

When you said it should not take longer than 90 days, what would you mean by that? Will my time cycle start over as it is my initial evidence notice or will it resume it back from the 77th day?

I meant that usually they don't take more than 90 days. I think they were going to make a decision on yours and realized you missed something. 

You cannot expedite because you are going to receive a letter asking for more information. You could send a copy of your job offer along with the information they request and ask if they could expedite it. That might work. 

39 minutes ago, dm2017 said:

I have also heard that sometimes USCIS send RFEs to expedite your process and they need some reason to expedite it. Is it true?

No, why would they want to randomly expedite some people's EAD card? RFE slows down the process.

40 minutes ago, dm2017 said:

No, international office at my university hasn't applied on behalf of me. Would you advise me to tell my international officer to expedite this process or reach out to USCIS? Is there anything that university officer can do about it?

You can ask them. At my university they were nice and we were not allowed to apply for OPT. They did all the paperwork and mail it. I thought that was standard but it seems it is not.

You could try calling USCIS yourself. I am not sure if you will get any information but it doesn't hurt calling.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello,

I got my RFE status on June 26th and the mail on June 29th. It was an issue regarding my photographs. I sent them the requested evidence ("photographs") and they updated the status on July 6th that they have received the document.

When I got a mail about the RFE, I got an information indicating the processing clock which says "This 90 days time period started with the initial receipt of your application. Because the additional evidence is required, the 90 days time period for processing your application has been temporarily stopped. The 90 days period will resume after USCIS receives the requested evidence." 

According to the above saying, my initial application date was April 10th and if I exclude my timing from June 26th to July 6th I should get my EAD card before July 19th.  

But when I called the USCIS office they told me to wait and now that I got the RFE it will take more time. Maybe 2 to 3 months.

Hoe can I convince my employer now? What should I tell them? Does it really take that long?

Any help or guidance would be appreciable.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 1:48 PM, dm2017 said:

Hello,

I got my RFE status on June 26th and the mail on June 29th. It was an issue regarding my photographs. I sent them the requested evidence ("photographs") and they updated the status on July 6th that they have received the document.

When I got a mail about the RFE, I got an information indicating the processing clock which says "This 90 days time period started with the initial receipt of your application. Because the additional evidence is required, the 90 days time period for processing your application has been temporarily stopped. The 90 days period will resume after USCIS receives the requested evidence." 

According to the above saying, my initial application date was April 10th and if I exclude my timing from June 26th to July 6th I should get my EAD card before July 19th.  

But when I called the USCIS office they told me to wait and now that I got the RFE it will take more time. Maybe 2 to 3 months.

Hoe can I convince my employer now? What should I tell them? Does it really take that long?

Any help or guidance would be appreciable.

Thanks.

Hi Dhruv,

I am a recent graduate and currently in the same situation as you are,what happened to your case status when did you receive your EAD card did it again take 3 months to get it processed ?

Edited by Chaithra

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.