Vickrd

Cancelled visa told by check in counter at airport?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My sister is Venezuelan, but she has been living in Germany as a student for about 8 years. She has come to the US to visit me about 3 times in those 8 years....Actually she came last year in september and stayed for a week. Her passport was stolen a couple of years ago but she fixed her paperwork and got a new one and that's the one she has been using to come into the US those last few times. That old passport did not have her tourist visa. It's a new one that does. My question is...I'm getting married this wednesday, and I live in LA. She was checking in for her flight yesterday and right at the check in counter after a couple of calls that those employees made, she was told "your visa is cancelled, you cant board".... Now lets remember this was in Germany. Can this happen? Her visa is a 10 yr tourist visa that expires in 2019. She hasnt even come to the US that many times. She hasnt done anything wrong. Our problem is that it's the weekend and embassies are closed. Has anyone heard of this? Dont tourist visas usually get cancelled at the POE or at least the person gets some kind of notification? We need help. She might not make it to my wedding :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I guess she will have to contact the embassy that issued the visa to find out whats going on. Or call the nearest US embassy in Germany. I'm sorry you have to go through this especially so close to your wedding date. 

This is an old post about a visa cancelled but maybe can help you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly has happened before and only the Consulate can tell her what has happened and why.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunnyland said:

I guess she will have to contact the embassy that issued the visa to find out whats going on. Or call the nearest US embassy in Germany. I'm sorry you have to go through this especially so close to your wedding date. 

This is an old post about a visa cancelled but maybe can help you. 

Thank you. That's what we've been thinking we should do, she will have to call the us embassy in berlin or the consulate in frankfurt which is the one that processes visas... thank you for your help, and the post you suggested made me think of perhaps political issues, Venezuela is in really bad shape right now. Thanks!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
10 hours ago, Vickrd said:

Thank you. That's what we've been thinking we should do, she will have to call the us embassy in berlin or the consulate in frankfurt which is the one that processes visas... thank you for your help, and the post you suggested made me think of perhaps political issues, Venezuela is in really bad shape right now. Thanks!! 

No problem. If she never overstayed or did anything wrong like working with a tourist visa, etc then I don't see the reason why this is happening to her. I visited Venezuela in (Caracas) 2009 and it's very sad to see the situation they are living in now. Not sure if that could be enough reason to have your sister's visa cancelled but she should go or call those embassies Monday morning ASAP to find out if this was an error. Hopefully this can be fixed before your wedding, if not at least to have your sister visiting you soon.

It would be weird if they were to cancel all Venezuelan's tourist visas due to the political climate. 

I don't think this has anything to do with her stolen passport. 

Did she get her visa in Germany? Did any of the information she provided change?

It is weird, I didn't know they continuously did background checks on everyone they gave visas to; otherwise, how would they cancel visas like this? 

I hope it gets resolved soon. Let us know what happens. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

It would be weird if they were to cancel all Venezuelan's tourist visas due to the political climate. 

I don't think this has anything to do with her stolen passport. 

Did she get her visa in Germany? Did any of the information she provided change?

It is weird, I didn't know they continuously did background checks on everyone they gave visas to; otherwise, how would they cancel visas like this? 

I hope it gets resolved soon. Let us know what happens. 

I know right? No, nothing has changed, since it's a weekend everything is closed... We're waiting for Monday so that she can go to the consulate in Frankfurt and she what they can do for her. I really really hope this is a mistake, I mean maybe the women at the check in counter didn't know what they were doing (?)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just to clarify, it is possible her visa was canceled. She wouldn't have to have been notified, and there doesn't need to be a stamp for it to be canceled.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey guys, just to let you know what happened at the end. Basically someone at a Venezuelan Consulate in Germany reported the wrong passport as the one that was stolen. Meaning the person reported her valid passport (which contained the visa) instead of the one that was actually stolen (which did not have the visa)... Imagine how mad we were. I wish there was a way they could pay for this lol but we can't turn back time, the wedding already happened and she missed it because of a dumbass at our venezuelan consulate in germany. Honestly... Anyways, a couple weeks ago she requested a visa appt and she got approved! She will be visiting me at the end of the summer to celebrate... At least she was facetiming with my brother during the wedding and she was in a couple of our pictures hahaha. Thanks for your answers!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for returning with the update.  It's always good to learn of outcomes, especially in unique situations.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.