FrankLu888

Help! CEAC Status - "Refused" - IR1 Visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.  Thank you guys for all the help and guidance you've provided.  Here's my story, and I'm wondering if anyone would know what is happening to my case and would have any suggestions/recommendations.  

I am a naturalized citizen from China, and I am currently petitioning my wife, from Taiwan, for an IR1 visa.  We met 12 years ago and got married 9 years ago.  My wife was staying in the US as an undocumented, so we knew that it would be more difficult for her to adjust her status.  We started the process in 2015.  Our I130 was approved, and then our I601a was approved earlier this year.  The file got transferred to NVC and then the Taiwan consular.  They scheduled an interview for her in early June, and my wife left the country for the first time in 23 years to interview at the consulate office.   

The interview went fine as far as we know.  The mood was generally pleasant, and the CO was very nice.  He asked about how we met, when did we get married, and how did my wife enter the US.  Then it took a bad turn that we failed our i864 and were served with a 221g notice.  We immediately contacted our lawyer and arranged my wife’s sister (with qualified income) to be a joint sponsor.  We submitted the joint I864 form within 3 days.  The CO contacted us to confirm the joint I864 on the next day (Friday).  On Monday, we received another call from the CO, requesting a personal statement from my wife (to include how did she enter the US, why did she enter the US, how did she live in the US, how did we meet, when did we get married, and how is our living situation now).  We submitted the personal statement on the next day and the CEAC was updated on the day of.  Throughout this time, the CEAC status has been Administrative Processing, it was updated on 6/13, 6/14, and 6/16.  Then it was silence. We checked on CEAC the day before yesterday (6/22) and saw the status is now “REFUSED”.  We immediately emailed the CO to ask for further explanation.  We have not received a call or any email correspondences from the CO about this.  I contacted NVC this morning, and they said the case is still under Administrative Review.  The case was again last updated yesterday (6/22) and today (6/23) with no further explanation.  Has anyone heard of this before? Does it mean the CO refused our Visa app?  I’ve been reading a lot on this site, and I’m getting mixed messages about the accuracy of the CEAC status.  Any thoughts on this?  I can’t think of any reason for the application to be denied.  We were granted the i601a waiver for her inadmissibility, and we had secure a joint sponsor with a six-figure income.  She has a clean record (not even a traffic ticket!).  We are both really freaked out at the moment. 

Thank you.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The officer at AIT gave my wife a 221g slip after her CR-1 interview because they did said her household registration did not suffice for a divorce certificate.  My wife went to HHR, obtained a specific divorce cert and mailed it to AIT the same day.  Her visa status was changed to "Refused".  Two days later, it changed to "Issued".  Two days later, she picked up her passport with approved visa in it.  Perhaps your status will change to "Issued" in a day or so.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, missileman said:

The officer at AIT gave my wife a 221g slip after her CR-1 interview because they did said her household registration did not suffice for a divorce certificate.  My wife went to HHR, obtained a specific divorce cert and mailed it to AIT the same day.  Her visa status was changed to "Refused".  Two days later, it changed to "Issued".  Two days later, she picked up her passport with approved visa in it.  Perhaps your status will change to "Issued" in a day or so.

Thank you so much for sharing.  It's just so stressful to see the status changed to "refused" .  What was her status before changed to refused if you don't mind sharing.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, FrankLu888 said:

Thank you so much for sharing.  It's just so stressful to see the status changed to "refused" .  What was her status before changed to refused if you don't mind sharing.  

I have the same situation with US Embassy in Islamabad. My Fiance is a US Citizen and we applied for K1. My interview was on March 27, 2017 and it went well. CO didn't ask for any additional documents or anything but gave me a 221g for Administrative processing. The status was stuck at "Ready" all the time. Got updates couple of times in between. Then on June 12, 2017. It changed to "Refused" without going to Administrative processing. We emailed the embassy and the told us the same thing like you that its still under Administrative processing. Once its complete then they will review the case. Since then Its the same. Case is still at the embassy and not returned to NVC yet. We tried to contact them multiple times and they said the same thing that its under Administrative Processing.

If you get any update or any news please do share.

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, missileman said:

I got the same issue about my status. I applied for K1 and the status was stuck in ready since interview day and then changed to refused but on inquiry it said its in AP. Can you share what was your status before it said refused. Plus did you got any notification about refusal and then about issued.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, FrankLu888 said:

Before the status changed to "Refused", it was "Ready".

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 2017-6-23 at 2:14 PM, Mehar said:

I got the same issue about my status. I applied for K1 and the status was stuck in ready since interview day and then changed to refused but on inquiry it said its in AP. Can you share what was your status before it said refused. Plus did you got any notification about refusal and then about issued.

Refused after one day later its going to say returned to national visa center that's sucks 

• 11 months later...
On 2017/6/22 at 10:04 PM, FrankLu888 said:

Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.  Thank you guys for all the help and guidance you've provided.  Here's my story, and I'm wondering if anyone would know what is happening to my case and would have any suggestions/recommendations.  

I am a naturalized citizen from China, and I am currently petitioning my wife, from Taiwan, for an IR1 visa.  We met 12 years ago and got married 9 years ago.  My wife was staying in the US as an undocumented, so we knew that it would be more difficult for her to adjust her status.  We started the process in 2015.  Our I130 was approved, and then our I601a was approved earlier this year.  The file got transferred to NVC and then the Taiwan consular.  They scheduled an interview for her in early June, and my wife left the country for the first time in 23 years to interview at the consulate office.   

The interview went fine as far as we know.  The mood was generally pleasant, and the CO was very nice.  He asked about how we met, when did we get married, and how did my wife enter the US.  Then it took a bad turn that we failed our i864 and were served with a 221g notice.  We immediately contacted our lawyer and arranged my wife’s sister (with qualified income) to be a joint sponsor.  We submitted the joint I864 form within 3 days.  The CO contacted us to confirm the joint I864 on the next day (Friday).  On Monday, we received another call from the CO, requesting a personal statement from my wife (to include how did she enter the US, why did she enter the US, how did she live in the US, how did we meet, when did we get married, and how is our living situation now).  We submitted the personal statement on the next day and the CEAC was updated on the day of.  Throughout this time, the CEAC status has been Administrative Processing, it was updated on 6/13, 6/14, and 6/16.  Then it was silence. We checked on CEAC the day before yesterday (6/22) and saw the status is now “REFUSED”.  We immediately emailed the CO to ask for further explanation.  We have not received a call or any email correspondences from the CO about this.  I contacted NVC this morning, and they said the case is still under Administrative Review.  The case was again last updated yesterday (6/22) and today (6/23) with no further explanation.  Has anyone heard of this before? Does it mean the CO refused our Visa app?  I’ve been reading a lot on this site, and I’m getting mixed messages about the accuracy of the CEAC status.  Any thoughts on this?  I can’t think of any reason for the application to be denied.  We were granted the i601a waiver for her inadmissibility, and we had secure a joint sponsor with a six-figure income.  She has a clean record (not even a traffic ticket!).  We are both really freaked out at the moment. 

Thank you.   

Hey!frank Lu888..

What happened was the case later?cause I get same issues as your ‘

• 10 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Did your fiance finally got the visa and when?

On 6/23/2017 at 5:10 AM, Mehar said:

I have the same situation with US Embassy in Islamabad. My Fiance is a US Citizen and we applied for K1. My interview was on March 27, 2017 and it went well. CO didn't ask for any additional documents or anything but gave me a 221g for Administrative processing. The status was stuck at "Ready" all the time. Got updates couple of times in between. Then on June 12, 2017. It changed to "Refused" without going to Administrative processing. We emailed the embassy and the told us the same thing like you that its still under Administrative processing. Once its complete then they will review the case. Since then Its the same. Case is still at the embassy and not returned to NVC yet. We tried to contact them multiple times and they said the same thing that its under Administrative Processing.

If you get any update or any news please do share.

Thanks.

Did your finance finally got the visa and when ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.