Techniix

K1 - Fiance Visa Help

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I mess anything up in my post, but I just have some questions and concerns. I am a 22 year old American who is trying to move things forward with my Filipina girlfriend. I've known her since I was 13 years old and we've been friends ever since, but in the past couple years things have gotten much more serious. She has tried very hard to meet me in person... she was going to go to school in Canada where I could've easily driven to see her as often as I could, but that visa was denied due to financial reasons on her end (she actually had her tuition and costs of living in advance and had documentation of it... I'm not sure how it was denied, but this was her second attempt and she couldn't afford to appeal). Her first attempt to visit and her first application she had put in for a visa was for a B1 tourist visa to visit me here in the US, but this one was denied because they felt she didn't have strong enough ties to her country (after a lot of reading it appeared this is a common reason if they feel she didn't provide enough proof she'd come back home, even though we tried to be very thorough with the information we provided it appears it wasn't enough). Now the situation is as follows... our relationship continues to become more and more serious despite the heartache waiting for months only to be denied brings... and I've finally saved enough money to visit her in a few months. I love her very much and I want to move the relationship forward. Ultimately I want to bring her here but I have some worries...

• Will the two denied visas have any effect if we apply for the K1 visa?
  • Is an immigration lawyer going to be a significant help and would it be worth it?
  • Would my age be any sort of a limiting factor or does that sort of thing even matter?
  • What kind of proof and how much will I need to collect to prove a legitimate relationship? (been reading online a lot about this... thus how I found this website... I've seen people go as far as writing an entire auto-bio)

At this point a lot of money and effort has been put towards the visa process. Regardless of what happens at this point, I will meet her for the first time in person in a few months. I just want to do everything humanly possible if by the time I get back we decide this is the route for us and we want to go for the K1 visa. I will be visiting her with this in mind and I want to do everything I can do before the trip... and while I'm there... to make this process as close as possible to success. Please... if anybody has been through this process I very much appreciate answers to some of my questions and advice.

Thank you all in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Techniix said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I mess anything up in my post, but I just have some questions and concerns. I am a 22 year old American who is trying to move things forward with my Filipina girlfriend. I've known her since I was 13 years old and we've been friends ever since, but in the past couple years things have gotten much more serious. She has tried very hard to meet me in person... she was going to go to school in Canada where I could've easily driven to see her as often as I could, but that visa was denied due to financial reasons on her end (she actually had her tuition and costs of living in advance and had documentation of it... I'm not sure how it was denied, but this was her second attempt and she couldn't afford to appeal). Her first attempt to visit and her first application she had put in for a visa was for a B1 tourist visa to visit me here in the US, but this one was denied because they felt she didn't have strong enough ties to her country (after a lot of reading it appeared this is a common reason if they feel she didn't provide enough proof she'd come back home, even though we tried to be very thorough with the information we provided it appears it wasn't enough). Now the situation is as follows... our relationship continues to become more and more serious despite the heartache waiting for months only to be denied brings... and I've finally saved enough money to visit her in a few months. I love her very much and I want to move the relationship forward. Ultimately I want to bring her here but I have some worries...

• Is an immigration lawyer going to be a significant help and would it be worth it?
  • Would my age be any sort of a limiting factor or does that sort of thing even matter?
  • What kind of proof and how much will I need to collect to prove a legitimate relationship? (been reading online a lot about this... thus how I found this website... I've seen people go as far as writing an entire auto-bio)

At this point a lot of money and effort has been put towards the visa process. Regardless of what happens at this point, I will meet her for the first time in person in a few months. I just want to do everything humanly possible if by the time I get back we decide this is the route for us and we want to go for the K1 visa. I will be visiting her with this in mind and I want to do everything I can do before the trip... and while I'm there... to make this process as close as possible to success. Please... if anybody has been through this process I very much appreciate answers to some of my questions and advice.

Welcome to the forum!

i will try to be short a succinct.

1.  As long as she was completely truthful with her previous visa applications it should have no bearing at all on a K1 application.  My now wife tried twice to get a B1 for a visit and was denied both times and our K1 was a breeze.

2.  The lawyer no lawyer question has been asked many times, and as always it is a personal decision.  VJ is a DIY site that has many members with a lot of experience willing to help you out and if you are comfortable filling out forms, you should be able to do it yourself.  Lawyers can be helpful when the case is complicated by issues like past legal troubles, past immigration issues, etc., but in general, they or one of their assistants will just be filling out some forms with the information you gather for them.  Sometimes lawyers can be more trouble than they are worth, but others use them with no issues.  If you do go with a lawyer, make sure you shop around and steer clear of any lawyer claiming they can speed up the approval process.  We did not use a lawyer and we were fine.

3.  Your age will not be an issue, you are an adult and can legally make these decisions for yourself.  The only time age becomes a factor is when there is a large age gap between the parties.

4.  The K1 only requires one meeting in person in the past two years.  Evidence can be flight boarding passes, photos of the two of you together, hotel receipts with both your names one it etc.  I just sent in the itineraries and boarding passes from my trips to see Katya as well as four photos from our two in person meetings.  In general, more meetings are a bonus, but many people get approved with just a single meeting.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Techniix said:

. She has tried very hard to meet me in person... she was going to go to school in Canada where I could've easily driven to see her as often as I could, but that visa was denied due to financial reasons on her end (she actually had her tuition and costs of living in advance and had documentation of it... I'm not sure how it was denied, but this was her second attempt and she couldn't afford to appeal). Her first attempt to visit and her first application she had put in for a visa was for a B1 tourist visa to visit me here in the US, but this one was denied because they felt she didn't have strong enough ties to her country (after a lot of reading it appeared this is a common reason if they feel she didn't provide enough proof she'd come back home, even though we tried to be very thorough with the information we provided it appears it wasn't enough). Now the situation is as follows... our relationship continues to become more and more serious despite the heartache waiting for months only to be denied brings... and I've finally saved enough money to visit her in a few months. I love her very much and I want to move the relationship forward. Ultimately I want to bring her here but I have some worries...

She tried twice to get a visa to see you and was denied, but by your own admission you could have gone to see her at any time by driving there....but chose not to? 

Her visitor visa denials should have no impact on your k1 application. 

You dont need a lawyer. You can do everything on your own. They can't speed up your process or give you any extra assurances that you will get approved. They just take your money and sometimes take extra time. 

Your age doesn't matter. 

Take photos with each other, with friends and families, keep receipts of things you do together- plane/train tickets, hotel receipts, include phone logs, chat logs, emails, snail mails, normal things people keep when they love someone and are in a relationship with them. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

She tried twice to get a visa to see you and was denied, but by your own admission you could have gone to see her at any time by driving there....but chose not to? 

No. He said that she was going to go to Canada to study but that VISA was denied, and that if she was in Canada he could have driven to see her as much as he wanted to.  Not sure how you think he could drive from the US to the Philippines.

Anyway....

The answers to the questions are as already stated by previous posters... just be sure to keep boarding passes, tickets etc, and to get some photos... if possible also with her family or friends.

Good luck with the first meeting - and most of all, enjoy it!

MY PERSONAL K-1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
(In progress)

I-192F sent: 6/7/2017

I-129F arrived (by USPS): 6/12/2017 (Date recorded on NOA1)

NOA1 email received: 6/14/2017

NOA1 hard copy recieved: 6/19/2017

RFE Recieved: 12/30/2017

RFE response sent: 1/2/2018
RFE response recieved: 1/3/2018

NOA2: 1/12/2018
NVC Recieved: 1/26/2018
NVC Case Number Assigned: 1/26/2018
NVC Sent To Embassy: 2/2/2018

Medical (London): 2/5/2018

Interview (London): 2/23/2018 - APPROVED

Visa On Hand: 3-2-2018 - Home Delivery

POE (Atlanta, GA): 3/13/2018 (booked)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, vocaledge said:

No. He said that she was going to go to Canada to study but that VISA was denied, and that if she was in Canada he could have driven to see her as much as he wanted to.  

My bad. I must have misread. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

My bad. I must have misread. 

hehe - that or he has a flying/swimming car

Good luck in your visa-journey too.

(In progress)

1 hour ago, Techniix said:

Would my age be any sort of a limiting factor or does that sort of thing even matter?

Your age would not be a factor. You need to check whether you make 125% above the poverty line in your state because you have to be financially responsible for the person you are sponsoring a visa. If not, you need to find a US citizen to be the sponsor/joint-sponsor/co-sponsor financially (like your parents). Look for information on how to calculate this and figure it out. If confused, ask on VJ.

Edited by Coco8

20 hours ago, Techniix said:

Hello all,

• No, as long as she was truthful during each of her interviews or process for the tourist visa, she will be fine. Tourist visas have no bearing on the foreign beneficiary applying for a K1 as this visa is for the purpose to marry and migrate to the U.S. after marriage.
    • Totally up to you if you want a lawyer. The process itself does not require a lawyer, however, it does require a lot of research and understanding of the process because the K1 fiancé visa process is just the first step of many other steps to follow. Whether you have a lawyer or not, it would be wise to do the legwork and research everything so that you both understand the pros and cons of this process, the financial responsibility of this process, and so forth. A lawyer will only handle the paperwork for you and your fiancé; that's pretty much it. The responsibility of going through this process still falls on you the petitioner and the beneficiary. Based on what you are saying, your relationship doesn't seem all that complex that a lawyer would be needed, but if you feel like it warrants it, that is totally up to you to decide.
    • Age variance/difference is not a deciding factor in case; although you didn't mention how old your fiancé is; only that you've known her since you were 13. The legal age to apply is 18 years of age.
    • I would recommend reviewing the Guides section of this website because it does give a great detail on what is need for proof of relationship. The first stage of this process is with the USCIS which proof of relationship is not a requirement; only that you have met once within 2 years. However, keep in mind that once the petition is approved by USCIS, it is sent to the beneficiary's Embassy where the proof of relationship is reviewed by the CO to make sure the relationship is bonafide. So, it's kind of hard to tell you all that you would need to put in there. Remember, quality always outweighs quantity. Typically, pictures, itineraries, passport stamps and other proof is something that you would want to add into your petition.

Either way, make sure you research, research, RESEARCH, before you take the steps and start this process! Good luck! :)

Edited by Trinab80

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

20 hours ago, Techniix said:
  • Will the two denied visas have any effect if we apply for the K1 visa? No effect
  • Is an immigration lawyer going to be a significant help and would it be worth it? You can easily do it on your own, if you found this site you already show your ability to find the information you need.
  • Would my age be any sort of a limiting factor or does that sort of thing even matter? None. Your income might be. If so you can get a co-sponsor 
  • What kind of proof and how much will I need to collect to prove a legitimate relationship? (been reading online a lot about this... thus how I found this website... I've seen people go as far as writing an entire auto-bio) Sounds like you have it covered on this.I think communication logs especially talking about your future is very good as well as boarding passes, travel docs and photos with you together and with her family and friends. Most people say quality over quantity when it comes to evidence. 

Good luck! I am going to Philippines in August to get married then I will be taking the spousal visa route.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you all so much for your quick replies and advice! I have another concern though. I am not very accustomed to traveling and I haven't EVER traveled to another country before or any significant distance alone. I know there are travel advisories against traveling to certain parts of the Philippines right now and I was wondering... will it hurt my chances of approval if we meet for the first time in another country besides her own? Meeting "in the middle" so to speak would save a lot of money and ease my worries, but I'm just not sure how that would affect things.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Techniix said:

Thank you all so much for your quick replies and advice! I have another concern though. I am not very accustomed to traveling and I haven't EVER traveled to another country before or any significant distance alone. I know there are travel advisories against traveling to certain parts of the Philippines right now and I was wondering... will it hurt my chances of approval if we meet for the first time in another country besides her own? Meeting "in the middle" so to speak would save a lot of money and ease my worries, but I'm just not sure how that would affect things.

You only have to have met, and be able to prove you did so.  If you meet in another country, you'd have strong factual evidence that you both were there, (passport stamps and tickets from BOTH parties), which would constitute strength to your case, as well as the secondary evidence of photos. Lots and lots of photos together!

Go for it

(In progress)

Timeline
14 hours ago, vocaledge said:

You only have to have met, and be able to prove you did so.  If you meet in another country, you'd have strong factual evidence that you both were there, (passport stamps and tickets from BOTH parties), which would constitute strength to your case, as well as the secondary evidence of photos. Lots and lots of photos together!

Go for it

Awesome! Thank you so much for that. I was really worried that would be a negative instead of a positive. I know taking photos with her friends and family would be a big bonus and maybe would have been preferred, but what other evidence could I collect to help out with the case?

Timeline
9 hours ago, Techniix said:

Awesome! Thank you so much for that. I was really worried that would be a negative instead of a positive. I know taking photos with her friends and family would be a big bonus and maybe would have been preferred, but what other evidence could I collect to help out with the case?

Make sure you keep your plane ticket and boarding pass.  Thats your main primary evidence, but hotel bookings or any receipts that show your names in the same place at the same time would be great evidence if you get any.

Otherwise, photos together near verifiable landmarks, or with signs that have place names, and also with verifiable dates are perfect evidence.

(In progress)

• 7 months later...
Timeline

Okay... Making a quick update here. So happy to say that I did get to meet her in September for my birthday. We didn't meet in the Philippines but met halfway in Hong Kong for our vacation together there. So I have a few questions now in regard to that. The only proof that I have unfortunately is my plane tickets there and back, bank statements where I used ATM in Hong Kong, and receipts. For some reason my passport was never stamped. This was my first time traveling out of country and I wasn't sure what to expect. Will this be enough proof? Also... She applied for a tourist visa to visit me before we made the Hong Kong plans... She didn't lie or anything... It just didn't end in our favor. We've actually considered applying for another so she could have a long-ish stay with me and my family as a vacation before we do the K-1... We're just very discouraged from other posts on this forum and we don't think we'll have much luck based on the fact that she's a young single woman and has recently moved to Manila with a new job there so she could be closer to the embassy there for our process. Basically my worry is my proofs for the fiance visa may not be enough (I do have lots of pictures though) and I just want to know thoughts from those who have been through it successful or otherwise. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.