15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Our interview will take place next month July 2017. Any input will be highly appreciated. We have seen videos that cover medical, finger prints and interview, but no one talks much about safety and communication. 

1. Is it better to fly to Monterrey or Mexico City and from there to Juarez. Or is it better to fly to El Paso then take a cab. I'm just worried that if we fly to El Paso we might encounter ICE vs just risking being at a US airport just once.

2. We have looked into quality inn and Maria Bonita. I believe they provide transportation but this might sound dumb but when you are done with the medical exam how do you call. Will sprint service work or do you guys buy a cellphone in Mexico ? Please advice. 

3. What cabs are actually safe ?

Edited by Zurdo

Timeline
45 minutes ago, f f said:

I would advise using a us cell carrier down there unless you contact them about rates. some charge tens of dollars per Meg and almost as bad for call and texting.

Thank you FF

Timeline

Congratulation Zurdo.

The area is safe, there is a lot of police presence around the clock. I stayed at the Ibis and at the Junior Express and walked everywhere, to the mall, pharmacy, Walmart and Costco (a little far, but I like to walk). I didn't go out after dark, just to be safe.

1. I flew to El Paso, I took a taxi to Cd Juarez, It was a little expensive, about $70 and not all the cabs like to cross the border. The cab driver told me that immigration agents are at the airport from time to time (well, they're there all the time, checking all the outgoing passengers) and that morning they have taken a person into custody, sad because that person was going to his interview. Going back to the transportation,  2 of my friends flew to El paso also, one of them called Uber and the driver took them to Cd. Juarez, so you may have that option, check first. 

2. Either Quality Inn or Maria Bonita (by the Consulado Americano) are just half a block away from the American consulate. You don't need any transportation. It's easier and faster to walk. The Maria Bonita is closer to the mall, although the Quality Inn is not that far. Quality Inn is north of the Consulate, Maria Bonita is South. Finger prints is north of the Consulate, Doctors are south. There is a Pharmacy next to the Quality, they sell snacks and beverages too.

3. I took a cab once to go to the airport and I used those parked outside my hotel. I was told it's safer to take those because the hotel has a contract with the cab company and it's easier to track them down. I did take the hotel shuttle some times and also the buses, the buses are not very nice, they're clean, but not in the best shape. 1 caught on fire and I saw people jumping from the back emergency door.

PS Boost of Virgin phone didn't work 2 years ago, T-Mobile worked perfectly, no extra charges with the North American Plan, just 5-10 dollars/month. This might have change.

Very good luck!

Edited by acajim

Timeline
9 hours ago, acajim said:

Congratulation Zurdo.

The area is safe, there is a lot of police presence around the clock. I stayed at the Ibis and at the Junior Express and walked everywhere, to the mall, pharmacy, Walmart and Costco (a little far, but I like to walk). I didn't go out after dark, just to be safe.

1. I flew to El Paso, I took a taxi to Cd Juarez, It was a little expensive, about $70 and not all the cabs like to cross the border. The cab driver told me that immigration agents are at the airport from time to time (well, they're there all the time, checking all the outgoing passengers) and that morning they have taken a person into custody, sad because that person was going to his interview. Going back to the transportation,  2 of my friends flew to El paso also, one of them called Uber and the driver took them to Cd. Juarez, so you may have that option, check first. 

2. Either Quality Inn or Maria Bonita (by the Consulado Americano) are just half a block away from the American consulate. You don't need any transportation. It's easier and faster to walk. The Maria Bonita is closer to the mall, although the Quality Inn is not that far. Quality Inn is north of the Consulate, Maria Bonita is South. Finger prints is north of the Consulate, Doctors are south. There is a Pharmacy next to the Quality, they sell snacks and beverages too.

3. I took a cab once to go to the airport and I used those parked outside my hotel. I was told it's safer to take those because the hotel has a contract with the cab company and it's easier to track them down. I did take the hotel shuttle some times and also the buses, the buses are not very nice, they're clean, but not in the best shape. 1 caught on fire and I saw people jumping from the back emergency door.

PS Boost of Virgin phone didn't work 2 years ago, T-Mobile worked perfectly, no extra charges with the North American Plan, just 5-10 dollars/month. This might have change.

Very good luck!

Thank you so much for this information. On the airport when you talk about outgoing passengers dose that mean that they check people going out like let say to Monterrey ? I had the impression that they would check incoming from other country to the US. I hear that starting next year 2018 people with no license will not be able to travel within the US. Also, what was your experience with DHL what's a close and fast one?

Timeline

I picked the DHL office on Lopez Mateos. I tried to change it to my hometown, but once you pass your interview date, it can't be changed. I had to stay in Mexico 2 months, thanks to the TB testing. I went to the interview, went back to hometown, and then flew back to Cd Juarez to pick up the visa. I crossed to El Paso to take a plane to Seattle, there was an immigration agent right at the TSA checkpoint, checking every passport, but for some reason it didn't check mine...go figure. I think they won't check if you're just changing planes, you already passed TSA at the originating airport, but if you're coming in, then you need to pass TSA.

If your question about my experience with DHL is about time delivery, I may not be the best example, since I went back, waited to receive the email with the tracking number, then I waited another week  to pick it up, i took my time. I did see some people that got the interview, tracking number AND visa in the same day, the majority received it in 3 days, but at the same time I spoke with some people that waited 14 days, I left and they stayed in Juarez waiting. I read somewhere that if you don't receive the visa within 28 days (I'm not sure, I hope somebody can help me), then you can contact the Consulate so they can trace it.

It'll be better if you have a phone with internet access, the hotels have free WIFI, but everybody is using it and it crashes. I had T-Mobile, with unlimited data and talk.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, acajim said:

I picked the DHL office on Lopez Mateos. I tried to change it to my hometown, but once you pass your interview date, it can't be changed. I had to stay in Mexico 2 months, thanks to the TB testing. I went to the interview, went back to hometown, and then flew back to Cd Juarez to pick up the visa. I crossed to El Paso to take a plane to Seattle, there was an immigration agent right at the TSA checkpoint, checking every passport, but for some reason it didn't check mine...go figure. I think they won't check if you're just changing planes, you already passed TSA at the originating airport, but if you're coming in, then you need to pass TSA.

If your question about my experience with DHL is about time delivery, I may not be the best example, since I went back, waited to receive the email with the tracking number, then I waited another week  to pick it up, i took my time. I did see some people that got the interview, tracking number AND visa in the same day, the majority received it in 3 days, but at the same time I spoke with some people that waited 14 days, I left and they stayed in Juarez waiting. I read somewhere that if you don't receive the visa within 28 days (I'm not sure, I hope somebody can help me), then you can contact the Consulate so they can trace it.

It'll be better if you have a phone with internet access, the hotels have free WIFI, but everybody is using it and it crashes. I had T-Mobile, with unlimited data and talk.

I heard other people talking about the good experience with López Mateos , but after checking on google maps 3 other express locations come up that are really close. One at the mall and one right behind the consulate not sure if they are still in business. Did you feel that the Lopez Mateos was a little far from the safe zone ? Or not really ?

Timeline

I'm not sure if these DHL Express locations are actual offices or just drop-off boxes. 

I don't know if you already registered your appointment, after you receive your appointment letter, you need to go to this website  and register: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/iv

This website will give you the options of the valid DHL locations that you can select. This is the same website where you can check when your visa is issued and also you can see the tracking number.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from the Embassy/Consulate forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
6 hours ago, acajim said:

I'm not sure if these DHL Express locations are actual offices or just drop-off boxes. 

I don't know if you already registered your appointment, after you receive your appointment letter, you need to go to this website  and register: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/iv

This website will give you the options of the valid DHL locations that you can select. This is the same website where you can check when your visa is issued and also you can see the tracking number.

I have actually not register yet. I'm meeting with the attorney next week to go over the paper work and have been holding up on that. But will make sure that part is covered before we leave. But maybe you are right and they are just drop off locations, didn't think of that. Thank you for all the good information 

Timeline

if your attorney creates an account at the website link that I posted above, make sure you have the email used to sign in and the password. You'll need it to monitor the status of your case. I saw way too many cases that the applicant was there, waiting from the lawyer's office to check the status because they were not given that information to sign in and check themselves. 

It's very easy, just need your case number, passport number and the letter you received. The site will ask you for this information, if you don't want to wait for the lawyer.

Book the hotel quickly, don't wait until the last minute. Prices go up if you book within 2 weeks. City Express, Ibis are the closest to everything. Maria Bonita, Quality Inn and El Conquistador are only 1 block away. No need for transportation if you stay in any of these places.

Good luck!

Timeline
On 6/22/2017 at 4:57 PM, f f said:

I would advise using a us cell carrier down there unless you contact them about rates. some charge tens of dollars per Meg and almost as bad for call and texting.

Tmobile and Verizon offer coverage for Mexico, I use my us cell in Mexico all the time

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Timeline
54 minutes ago, MrHanky said:

Tmobile and Verizon offer coverage for Mexico, I use my us cell in Mexico all the time

Thank you MrHanky. Actually checked yesterday with my provider(sprint) and $50 dollars can get me 14days of international travel coverage. So once I board the plane I will add it. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Zurdo said:

Thank you MrHanky. Actually checked yesterday with my provider(sprint) and $50 dollars can get me 14days of international travel coverage. So once I board the plane I will add it. 

there's also voip type services like google voice, but you can only dial american numbers and will need a data connection.

That stinks cause you probably only need it for a few days. I've been staying in mexico and its been a life save.

Best of luck

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.