Antant42

Error on Ead Card

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My wife just received her EAD card/ advance parol combo card and she was really exited... Untill she realized it said that her country of birth was "USA" instead of what it really is "Mexico". I  checked back on the documents we submitted and sure enough we put the correct city and state (Merida, Yucatan ) but than under country we put "USA" like dummies.

the question is what do we do now. It is tough because to fix this we would have to send the card back and re apply for both advance parole and the work permit. We will have to pay again. Plus if it take too long to come it will really hurt my wife because she needs to apply for jobs at school around July or beginning of August for the next school year starting at the end of August. I consulted with us customs at the likely port of entry (Houston ) and they said it shouldn't be a problem showing the card even with the error because they have other ways of verifying that information.  However, my lawyer is worried that, doing that may get her deported because it is against the law to pretend to be a us citizen to gain immigration benefits. (I disagree that, that is even what we would be doing as we would be 100% truthful about the error and a Mexican passport would be required anyway.) I plan on checking with the people on the forum along with maybe a few more ports of entry to be sure. Right now I am leaning on keeping the Ead card with the error and using it if our green card is not finished by the end of November .(we are visiting Mexico at that time) I don't see the point of spending the time and money fixing a mistake that most likely will not cause us any issues.(given that the other ports of entry agree with the Houston's customs, that they would not deny entry) plus it is only a temporary card until the green card arrives and it may get here anyway before we travel.(though it possibly could take longer we applied at the end of February)

I wanted to know what everyone else thinks we should do? I am just worried because I do not want her to get denied entry or other negative things .

thank you in advance!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.