lostbutterfly

Am I allowed to participate on a game show?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello VJ'ers,

My husband and I got selected to participate on a game show this summer. Filming starts next month and we will be playing to win a big prize. 

I let the producers know that I am currently waiting for my green card but I have a social security number. As for my work permit, it hasn't arrived yet but I was told it would be here in 30 days.

Attached is the requirement that was in the contract.  I'm unsure if I meet the requirements, what are your thoughts? Will I run into a problem if I participate and win a prize?

Technically I am living here legally and have submitted all my documents to obtain permanent residence...

Screen shot 2017-05-16 at 2.14.28 PM.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, lostbutterfly said:

Hello VJ'ers,

My husband and I got selected to participate on a game show this summer. Filming starts next month and we will be playing to win a big prize. 

I let the producers know that I am currently waiting for my green card but I have a social security number. As for my work permit, it hasn't arrived yet but I was told it would be here in 30 days.

Attached is the requirement that was in the contract.  I'm unsure if I meet the requirements, what are your thoughts? Will I run into a problem if I participate and win a prize?

Technically I am living here legally and have submitted all my documents to obtain permanent residence...

The above part "I am at least 18 years of age and I am a U.S. citizen or LEGAL RESIDENT...."

By your timeline you haven't been approved for a GC yet, meaning technically not a "LEGAL RESIDENT", you are merely pending.

This could indeed cause issues with your process and in fact disqualify you from the game show in general.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with Jojo, until your AOS is adjudicated and you actually get a GC, you are not a legal resident and therefore don't meet the qualifications.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, lostbutterfly said:

Hello VJ'ers,

You may not win and have a great time ........ or just donate all the winnings to charity ...... then you do not break any rules.

Tell the TV show and see what they say. The clauses look really weak.

A big prize, would it cover my annual fuel bill of USD$250,000 for my boat? if not, do not bother, go gambling in Monaco. 

Edited by Patient

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I agree with those who say you are not eligible.....per that contract you don't qualify.....imo........but congratulations on getting so many rapid replies...

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Patient said:

You may not win and have a great time ........ or just donate all the winnings to charity ...... then you do not break any rules.

Donating the winnings to charity does not make it okay.  Unauthorized work is not undone by giving the earnings away.

Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from K1 - as this is not a k1 question but a working question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

Donating the winnings to charity does not make it okay.  Unauthorized work is not undone by giving the earnings away.

The Producer may want them on the show because they are fun, good looking and can amend the clause to whatever. Just because no-one has asked does not mean you do not give it a go.

Only issue is TV advertising and channel paying for syndication, any Producer would let them in and play them until the "final" ..... then they would lose and be given a donation to charity of their choice ,,,, the public are fools and will buy the line.

Shall we start the script now? or do I jet ski to the beach for my dinner? 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

The above part "I am at least 18 years of age and I am a U.S. citizen or LEGAL RESIDENT...."

By your timeline you haven't been approved for a GC yet, meaning technically not a "LEGAL RESIDENT", you are merely pending.

This could indeed cause issues with your process and in fact disqualify you from the game show in general.

I see what you're saying. I mean the gameshow isn't anywhere near as important as getting my GC but it is a fun way to spice up our lives seeing that I've been playing the waiting game throughout this entire immigration process.

The part that I want to clarify is where it says “or have met all requirements under United States immigration … to travel to the US and participate in all Series elements" .. I mean couldn't I participate and have the prize given to my husband? We are playing as a couple.. so if things got technical the prize could be awarded under his name.

If I do get my work permit next month then I should be fine.. but knowing USCIS and the lengthy wait times I'm afraid if we'll start filming before it arrives.

13 minutes ago, Patient said:

The Producer may want them on the show because they are fun, good looking and can amend the clause to whatever. Just because no-one has asked does not mean you do not give it a go.

Only issue is TV advertising and channel paying for syndication, any Producer would let them in and play them until the "final" ..... then they would lose and be given a donation to charity of their choice ,,,, the public are fools and will buy the line.

Shall we start the script now? or do I jet ski to the beach for my dinner? 

It doesn't matter what the producer wants to do.  

Work that is normally compensated is not allowed.  That's the standard.  Them losing or donating their winnings does not alter this standard.

5 minutes ago, lostbutterfly said:

I see what you're saying. I mean the gameshow isn't anywhere near as important as getting my GC but it is a fun way to spice up our lives seeing that I've been playing the waiting game throughout this entire immigration process.

The part that I want to clarify is where it says “or have met all requirements under United States immigration … to travel to the US and participate in all Series elements" .. I mean couldn't I participate and have the prize given to my husband? We are playing as a couple.. so if things got technical the prize could be awarded under his name.

If I do get my work permit next month then I should be fine.. but knowing USCIS and the lengthy wait times I'm afraid if we'll start filming before it arrives.

The US Government is not stupid.  Google "assignment of income."  You don't get to avoid unauthorized work by assigning the income to your husband.  Assigning the income to your husband does not unring the bell that you worked without authorization.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I'm assuming this is a legal document you are signing and some where in there will most likely be a statement that you declare under purgery that the above statements are true. it is best to not commit purgery when you are still trying to get your green card. and they will find out since if you do win it will be reported on the taxes you will have to submit to uscis for roc in 2 years. also the producers could legally take the money back since you were not even allowed to participate in the show. is the chance to be on TV worth that?

Just now, f f said:

I'm assuming this is a legal document you are signing and some where in there will most likely be a statement that you declare under purgery that the above statements are true. it is best to not commit purgery when you are still trying to get your green card. and they will find out since if you do win it will be reported on the taxes you will have to submit to uscis for roc in 2 years. also the producers could legally take the money back since you were not even allowed to participate in the show. is the chance to be on TV worth that?

Stop making stuff up.  None of what you said is true.  0% truth.  100% lies that you made up.

A contract is NOT a declaration made under penalty of perjury.  It's a contract.  No one can commit perjury with a private work contract.  

There are no circumstances where the producers could legally take the money back.  Google "court orders employers to pay undocumented workers."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.