Eva Nti

Change of Visa Status

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

I am from Ghana and currently in the US with B1B2 visa. I am hoping to change the status in order to stay here to work or further my education. I currently hold a Bachelors and Masters degree. What ways can I go about to change my visa status? Can I apply for a job, an internship or short course to enable me change my status?

Is it possible to extend my entry visa?

You can't. That is not how the process works. You can't work on a visitor visa. It is ONLY for visiting.

In order for you to get a work visa you must first find a company that is willing to apply for the visa for you. It is a long process (months) and expensive process. 

You can't just come on a visitor visa and change to a working visa. There is no way for you to do that.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

There's no way you can adjust your status from a visitor nor extend your visa. You can however try to switch to F1 if you qualify and have money for it (it's expensive). But there's no way visitors can become legal residents only because they want so. If that was this simple, we'd have the whole Ghana here.

Edited by Springrain22

you only qualify for F1 if you have been accepted for a full-time course of study. Here's an article about the complications that arise when you want to change your status from B1/B2 visa to F1 visa: http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/applying-for-student-visa-while-on-tourist.html

You can apply for jobs hoping that the company will like you enough to sponsor you for a visa. However, most H1B visas are capped at 65,000 per year (or something) so the company will have to wait until next April to apply for a visa starting in October. You'll have to go home at the end of your authorized tourist visa status and apply from your home country. There's a number of institutions that do not have the cap (education for example). But still, the process is long. Here's some faq about changing to a work visa - http://www.lawqa.com/qa/how-can-i-convert-my-b1-b2-visa-to-h1-visa

Timeline
2 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

you only qualify for F1 if you have been accepted for a full-time course of study. Here's an article about the complications that arise when you want to change your status from B1/B2 visa to F1 visa: http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/applying-for-student-visa-while-on-tourist.html

You can apply for jobs hoping that the company will like you enough to sponsor you for a visa. However, most H1B visas are capped at 65,000 per year (or something) so the company will have to wait until next April to apply for a visa starting in October. You'll have to go home at the end of your authorized tourist visa status and apply from your home country. There's a number of institutions that do not have the cap (education for example). But still, the process is long. Here's some faq about changing to a work visa - http://www.lawqa.com/qa/how-can-i-convert-my-b1-b2-visa-to-h1-visa

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will check out the links. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

There's no way you can adjust your status from a visitor nor extend your visa. You can however try to switch to F1 if you qualify and have money for it (it's expensive). But there's no way visitors can become legal residents only because they want so. If that was this simple, we'd have the whole Ghana here.

I expected some sort of immigration rules thats why I asked the question to be educated. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy to switch I just wanted to understand the process. so thank you for the inputs.

Timeline
3 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

You can't. That is not how the process works. You can't work on a visitor visa. It is ONLY for visiting.

In order for you to get a work visa you must first find a company that is willing to apply for the visa for you. It is a long process (months) and expensive process. 

You can't just come on a visitor visa and change to a working visa. There is no way for you to do that.

the comments are very helpful. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Six posts of a noncontributory or borderline-fraudulent nature have been removed.  The OP has received adequate advice, so this thread is now locked to further comment.  Do not restart this thread or refer to it elsewhere.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.