Moonspell360

confused about k2 visa for stepdaughter

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife came to the US on a k1 visa, its been a year and now we want to bring her daughter, she is 17 now and we just found out she is pregnant , can she still  be eligible to come here ? Please  help thanks.

Timeline

I married my wife on a k-1 visa, my stepdaughter is planning to join us ,she is 18 now, my wife's visa was approved on 12/10/2015, is it too late to apply for a k2 visa? If so, what we can do to bring her here ?  please help me!

Timeline

So, since it's been more than a year since my wife was approved her visa the k2 visa is no longer valid? Sorry for being redundant I just wan to make sure the new petition won't fall under k2  visa petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Moonspell360 said:

So, since it's been more than a year since my wife was approved her visa the k2 visa is no longer valid? Sorry for being redundant I just wan to make sure the new petition won't fall under k2  visa petition.

Yes K-2 has to be within one year from the mothers K-1 visa was issued. 

It will be faster if you apply for her as her step parent as said above about a year. 

Is she married? Has it been under or over a year?

If no to both, then she can utilize follow-to-join still.

If it's over a year but she is not married, you can petition for a CR-2 visa as your stepchild (until she turns 21). ETA: Roughly a year or so.

If she is married, then you can petition for her under F3 status. ETA: Roughly 20 years.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

She is not married ,just pregnant but its been over a year since my wife got her visa approved in December 2015, so its still late to apply under k2 category?

Edited by Moonspell360

47 minutes ago, Moonspell360 said:

She is not married ,just pregnant but its been over a year since my wife got her visa approved in December 2015, so its still late to apply under k2 category?

Yes, it is. There's a 1 year time-span to apply for a K-2 under follow-to-join. You would have to file a CR-2 for her now.

However...the issue would be the then-child. Unfortunately, now that I think about that, there's a real dilemma here. I don't think there's any way to get her in the US with her child (plus the father would have to agree to it, obviously). You can get a visa for her in about a year from filing, but you cannot petition for your stepdaughter's child. The options I see are below...you'll have to see what's best.

1. Your stepdaughter lives abroad.
  2. Petition for her and she comes to the US in about a year. Then your stepdaughter can petition for her daughter under F2A, which will take about 2 years. However, she must maintain her primary residence within the US...meaning apart from her child. It's an option..albeit not so sure if it's realistic or not.
  3. You could do the same as #2 but delay it up until before she turns 21. She would still be separated the same amount of time...but not so soon after birth.
    1. She needs to remain unmarried until she is in the US or else she is no longer eligible to use the visa.
  4. If she gets married, you she can go the F3 route and bring her child(ren) at that time. However, this has the ~20 year wait involved...and the children may even age out by the time that comes around.

Edit: Optimally, you would want to get her in the US as an LPR before giving birth. However, the timeline for a CR-2 just won't line up. You can try for an expedite, but pregnancy itself is not a cause for doing so. I'm just noting this in case there is another expedite cause:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Since it has been over a year she can't come on a K2. You have to apply for I130 for her which takes about a year. Stepdaughter will likely have child in her country.

Reading @geowrian post I think there may be an issue in deed.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline

A K-2 is not possible since it has been more than 1 year since the K-1 was issued.

Your stepdaughter will be having her baby in Colombia since any path to the US would require more than 9 months.

If you file as the USC stepparent, it would be an CR-2 case where it would take a year for her to get an immigration visa.  The problem is that derivative beneficiaries are not allowed.  She would need to immigrate alone, and it would take an additional two years for her to petition her child.

If her LPR mom petitions for her, it would be an F2a family preference case where it would take about two years for her to get an immigration visa and her child would be an eligible derivative.  Mother and child would be able to immigrate together.  

4 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

If her LPR mom petitions for her, it would be an F2a family preference case where it would take about two years for her to get an immigration visa and her child would be an eligible derivative.  Mother and child would be able to immigrate together.  

Yeah, this is probably the best option. I actually wasn't sure if F2A minors support derivatives, but you're right....they do:

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050201.html

See FX2 and FX3

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

as Jojo said, your wife has to file for her, if you file for her, she won't be able to bring the baby, but if her mom files, she will since derivatives are allowed for children of a LPR, not for children or stepchildren of a USC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, aleful said:

hi

as Jojo said, your wife has to file for her, if you file for her, she won't be able to bring the baby, but if her mom files, she will since derivatives are allowed for children of a LPR, not for children or stepchildren of a USC

Just to clarify, are you saying a US citizen can't sponsor both their child and grandchild, but an permanent resident can?
That sounds wrong. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.