Saisu990

Delay child coming to US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

My fiance is going in to interview for her K1 visa. We are planning to bring our child to USA when she turns one year old. Just curious if the child needs to accompany my fiance to her interview, even if the child is not flying if my fiance does gets approved for the visa.

Thank You!

Timeline

No we are planning to apply at a later time. Just want to spend time with my fiance in US before we get married. Then afterwards after she adjusted we will apply for our daughter. 

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, Saisu990 said:

No we are planning to apply at a later time. Just want to spend time with my fiance in US before we get married. Then afterwards after she adjusted we will apply for our daughter. 

I understand, we are in a similar situation. I went through my Consular process last year and my child stayed with my parents until we were well adjusted. I went to the interview by myself and did not have any problems.  After I arrived and found a job in the U.S. we applied for his Consular process. At this point, his I-130 has been approved and hope to go through his interview later this year.

So to answer your question, she does not need to take the child with her to the interview.

If the child is also your child, is he/she not already a USC? Who will care for the child when she leaves him/her behind? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
On 5/13/2017 at 8:28 PM, JFH said:

If the child is also your child, is he/she not already a USC? Who will care for the child when she leaves him/her behind? 

If the child is his and was not born in the U.S. the baby does not gain citizenship immediately. He needs to apply for the baby's CRBA and U.S. passport at their closest U.S. Embassy. The process usually takes 4-6 weeks and there are several documents he and the mother need to take to the appointment.

Edited by RRR2016

Timeline

The section that tells me to list the precise periods of time in US.. how far back do I need to list? Also some years I was out of country a few months then returned. How should I list those?

Timeline
18 hours ago, Saisu990 said:

The section that tells me to list the precise periods of time in US.. how far back do I need to list? Also some years I was out of country a few months then returned. How should I list those?

If I recall correctly you need to prove your presence in the U.S. after the age of 14. So I would prepare a list of where you have resided since that age. I'm sure a few month of absence from the U.S. won't affect you.

18 hours ago, Saisu990 said:

Can you tell me how to apply for a passport along with the CRBA?

You need to apply for both at your local U.S. Embassy.  I would call them to schedule an appointment and they should be able to provide the forms that need to be filled out and the requirements, or direct you where you can find them online. The websites usually have their contact information (phone number or email).

Timeline

I believe you need to fill out forms DS-2029 and if you are not present form DS-3053 notarized by a U.S. notary or Embassy/Consulate Only and Form DS-11. The mother may have to mail the documents and you fill out the forms and notarized in the U.S. to send them back.

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/ds-2029-application-for-consular-report-of-birth-abroad-for-a-u-s-citizen/

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/ds-3053-child-passport-application/

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/ds-11-application-form-for-new-passport/

Here is a VJ thread of people sharing their experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.