S & D

K2 traveling alone -- what is needed?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hoping someone has some insight here, as we've searched the forums and have yet to really find an answer.

My Fiancé will enter the US on his K1 visa in 3 weeks. His daughter will come about 2 months later on her K2 visa. She is 17.

Our question is -- what does she need to enter, besides the obvious 2 items -- her visa and the infamous "DO NOT OPEN" envelope?

There is little info on this topic. Advise!

------------------------------

2016-11-02 Filed I-129F

2016-11-04 NOA1

2017-02-02 NOA2

2017-03-03 Rec'd by NVC

2017-03-06 Assigned NVC #

2017-03-07 Left NVC

2017-03-09 Rec'd by Consulate

2017-03-20 Medical

2017-04-20 Interview

2017-04-27 Visa issued

Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

That's what she needs to enter, but also consider what the airline might request for transporting a minor.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

My two daughters came in on K2s by themselves when I was already here, with an already approved greencard. I prepared a little packet for them, including a copy of my greencard, passport biographical page and K1 visa, just in case. They had little issues getting through POE. 

One thing you might consider is having some sort of statement from both parents allowing her to travel, but it's more of a safeguard than anything. Really, all she needs for POE is her visa and the packet. 

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

At 17 she shouldn't have any issues travelling unless she's never done it before.  I suggest a travel consent form from both parents but especially from the parent who has not immigrated.  

My child has travelled a lot, much of it alone going between me and dad, and I pay for an unaccompanied minor, but my child is under the age of 16.  So that can be an option if you're worried and your fiance can contact the airline about that.  With that fee they will help a child through customs and immigration and being on a plane.  For me the fee is an extra $150 but this will vary by airline and perhaps distance.  Flights generally need to be as direct as possible.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/7/2017 at 7:08 AM, NikLR said:

At 17 she shouldn't have any issues travelling unless she's never done it before.  I suggest a travel consent form from both parents but especially from the parent who has not immigrated.  

My child has travelled a lot, much of it alone going between me and dad, and I pay for an unaccompanied minor, but my child is under the age of 16.  So that can be an option if you're worried and your fiance can contact the airline about that.  With that fee they will help a child through customs and immigration and being on a plane.  For me the fee is an extra $150 but this will vary by airline and perhaps distance.  Flights generally need to be as direct as possible.  

Edited by CelindaDimacale

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.