Pedro Jimenez

I may have done the greatest mistake of my life?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My wife and I got married in June, we entered into the DV lottery visa separately in October, and she was selected as a DV-lottery winner,

Is she disqualified for doing this? After checking some websites it appears that she will be :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She's not disqualified, you yourself are not eligible. She'll be the only one potentially eligible if she only listed herself.

OP: Did she include you on her application?

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Timeline

When you say you entered "seperately", do you mean you each submitten entries that included the information about your spouse or do you mean you each entered as being single and did not include the information about your spouse.  If it's the first, she should be fine.  If it's the second (you concealed inormation about your spouse), she will be disqualified.

Timeline

If she did not include you on the application and listed herself as single, she's disqualified. If you both applied separately, however listed each other as spouses, then you're fine, because yes this strategically increases your chances of winning, as long as you're both from an eligible country.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

She's not disqualified, you yourself are not eligible. She'll be the only one potentially eligible if she only listed herself.

If she is not disqualified, why is he not eligible?   The US embassies even have a term for it "DV marriage" because of the number of people who get marry after being selected as winners in the DV lottery.  Those spouses get visas.  So why would the OP not be eligible when his wife qualifies for a visa?

Timeline

If she is not disqualified, why is he not eligible?   The US embassies even have a term for it "DV marriage" because of the number of people who get marry after being selected as winners in the DV lottery.  Those spouses get visas.  So why would the OP not be eligible when his wife qualifies for a visa?

Only reason would be because she didn't list him as her spouse. You must list your spouse/children on the application, regardless if they're actually moving or not.

Only reason would be because she didn't list him as her spouse. You must list your spouse/children on the application, regardless if they're actually moving or not.

You said if she is not disqualified, he is not eligible.  Meaning she is qualified, he is not.  There is absolutely no situation where this happens.  

Timeline

You said if she is not disqualified, he is not eligible.  Meaning she is qualified, he is not.  There is absolutely no situation where this happens.  

Ack, my apologies. If she did not list her spouse and children, she herself is also disqualified for not disclosing them, and everyone is disqualified.

If they were married in June and she filed as single in October, then she will be disqualified.  The State Department instructions clearly state this (page 4, #13).

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 5/5/2017 at 8:58 AM, Pedro Jimenez said:

I think she did it as single, on the form can we check that?

Yes you can check. The letter will state the dependents/derivatives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.