kurtbelyeu

I-131 Application Fees

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi VJ,

I've sent in several returned I-131 applications due to incorrect fees.  I'm a US citizen and my wife is has a CR/1 green card living with me in the USA.

Any experts here can help with the fees?

Kurt

What is it you're filing for? 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

for more than 6 months you don't need a reentry permit

the reentry permit is only if she is going abroad for over a year up to 2 years, and she can renew it for another 2 years

that what some do if they want to study in their country of origin, they can be abroad up to 4 years without loosing the GC

if she has the conditional 2 year card, she can't travel that much anyway, she will have to remove conditions to get the 10 year GC

she must prove again bona fide marriage with you, she will need to file the i751 and send proof of bona fide marriage up to 90 days prior of her 2 year GC expiration

for now, there is no need for the i131

That is stated on www.uscis.gov/i-131

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

as stated for less than a year, she doesn't need a travel document

the travel document is for those who need to be abroad over a year up to 2 years

now if that is the plan, she will lose her GC because she has to remove conditions

but if you are travelling for less than a year, then no i131 is needed and you will be wasting money

Timeline

That is stated on www.uscis.gov/i-131

Yes.. I had submitted the correct amount on the last application but had submitted the payment using the G-1450 credit card form which isn't acceptable for the I-131 application.

Kurt

Timeline

as stated for less than a year, she doesn't need a travel document

the travel document is for those who need to be abroad over a year up to 2 years

now if that is the plan, she will lose her GC because she has to remove conditions

but if you are travelling for less than a year, then no i131 is needed and you will be wasting money

This is quoted on the I-131 instructions website:

"An absence from the United States for 1 year or more will generally break the continuity of your required continuous residence for the purpose of naturalization. If you intend to remain outside the United States for 1 year or more, you may be eligible to file Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes. For further information, contact your local USCIS office."

I've seen other websites mention issues with folks traveling outside the USA for more than 6 months where the travel will negate any issues with an extended period away from the USA.

As far as i'm concerned the I-131 is cheap and easy enough to get, why not have it in my wifes purse if we stay on the road for extended vacations or if she has a family member that becomes sick and requires extended care?

Regards,

Kurt

Timeline

hi

does she have the 2 year GC? because you mentioned that she had a CR1 residence

if so, then none of this doesn't matter, she can't stay for a long period of time anyway because you both have to live in the US and prove bona fide marriage

in that case she can't travel for a long period of time anyway, if you don't live here and she doesn't remove conditions, she looses her GC status, you will have to file for her all over again

so, does she have a 2 year GC or a 10 year GC, that's what really matters

also, bear in mind that she could in the near future apply for citizenship, once she is a USC, there are no restrictions in how much time she can stay abroad, you both can even live in another country if you choose

these are things to take into consideration

Timeline

hi

does she have the 2 year GC? because you mentioned that she had a CR1 residence

if so, then none of this doesn't matter, she can't stay for a long period of time anyway because you both have to live in the US and prove bona fide marriage

in that case she can't travel for a long period of time anyway, if you don't live here and she doesn't remove conditions, she looses her GC status, you will have to file for her all over again

so, does she have a 2 year GC or a 10 year GC, that's what really matters

also, bear in mind that she could in the near future apply for citizenship, once she is a USC, there are no restrictions in how much time she can stay abroad, you both can even live in another country if you choose

these are things to take into consideration

Yes.  She is on a two year visa.

Kurt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.