Peot

Montreal - Medical results processing time?

27 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the processing time is for the medical results? I've never really read a solid answer on it. I'm also sure it changes depending on which doctor you choose, but hypothetically, let's say I do the one in Montreal.

Reason being: Why double my travel expenses if I can get the medical done day 1 (or in the morning) and get to the interview day 2 (or in the early afternoon) and fly out in the evening?

Now I realize that just getting an appointment with the consulate in MTL can be a pain in the butt, and managing to get the medical scheduled on the same day, or day before, would probably be a shot in the dark.... but is there any hope? Do they give you the results same day?

What I've ALSO read is that it doesn't matter if you don't get the results right away or before the interview, and that either way, they find their way to the consulate after the fact as long as you've done the medical. Is there any truth to this?

In other words, can I still get to the interview even if I don't have the results in hand?

It depends where you get the medical done at.  

The one in Montreal takes 3 business days after the medical.  So if your interview is on Wednesday, like most K1, then you need to do it minimum on Thursday the week before.   Having the results AFTER the interview delays your visa.  It's one of the requirements and you should only do this if absolutely necessary.  Montreal is slow about anything that shows up after interview.  I'm talking a month or two, not a few days  or a week.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to Canada regional forum from K1 process and procedures.  Topic is Canadian specific~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Ah so with that in mind, it would seem that no matter what, I'm booking two flights, and zero hotel stays. Boo.

If I could drive there, it wouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

As it stands.... $400 flight cost minimum JUST to have a medical done, kinda stinks when I have to then pay another $400 flight to have the interview and STILL have to pay all the additional fees on top of that.

Ah well "it's worth it" "it's worth it" "it's worth it" "it's worth it"

You should compare the cost of staying a few extra day with the cost of flying twice. Most people fly at least the day before their interview in case their flight is delayed/cancelled. 

1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

You should compare the cost of staying a few extra day with the cost of flying twice. Most people fly at least the day before their interview in case their flight is delayed/cancelled. 

Flying the day before adds hotel cost... unless I'm sleeping at the airport. Both Montreal and Toronto have some of the highest hotel prices in Canada, so you're adding between $150~300 to the total just to stay the night before, and that's if you want roaches.

$400 is current average "round trip" price to Montreal. Toronto is cheaper at around $300.

Edited by Peot

Some perfectly acceptable rooms (without roaches), walking distance from the consulate are available.  One example: http://www.residences-uqam.qc.ca/hotel/en/ - you can also look up airbnb.  Medical might be cheaper in Toronto, I can't say.

17 hours ago, Peot said:

Flying the day before adds hotel cost... unless I'm sleeping at the airport. Both Montreal and Toronto have some of the highest hotel prices in Canada, so you're adding between $150~300 to the total just to stay the night before, and that's if you want roaches.

$400 is current average "round trip" price to Montreal. Toronto is cheaper at around $300.

Look into airbnb's seriously. :) You can find ones for like 50-80 bucks a night. I plan on going in for my medical and then having my interview the next week and staying in an airbnb. It will be cheaper than flying twice. Plus I figure then I can do some sightseeing since I have always wanted to go to Montreal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had mine done in Surrey, BC at Dr. Cheemas, it was ready for pickup the next day.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

4 hours ago, zilchfox said:

I had mine done in Surrey, BC at Dr. Cheemas, it was ready for pickup the next day.

Sounds good. What kind of travel options are there between Vancouver and Surrey? I know nothing of BC... I'd hate to spend $100 on a taxi because of crossing invisible city limits.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Peot said:

Sounds good. What kind of travel options are there between Vancouver and Surrey? I know nothing of BC... I'd hate to spend $100 on a taxi because of crossing invisible city limits.

No idea, I drove my car. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

I stayed a week in montreal. Was just over the cost of flying twice but im sure you could find a cheaper than $99/night place to stay.  I made sure i had a fridge but a kitchenette or even microwave would have been handy even if it had meant more walking, buses or trains.  

There is also next day medicals in surrey or 1-2 weeks from either dr in toronto.  Or you can book cheap flights and have the results sent to you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm afraid there isn't a cheap or easy way of doing this if you're not driving distance to one of the panel physicians. The medical office in Montreal told me on the phone they could not guarantee results in less than 5 full business days (not counting the exam day). In the end, I had it in hand in 3 business days but it wasn't a gamble I was willing to take. A flight is going to cost about the same regardless of you leaving the next day, or a week from then. I managed to get a small apartment on AirBNB for a cost of about $50 per night, my wife joined me, and we made a vacation out of it. The place had a full kitchen and there was a grocery store only a few blocks away. They don't make it easy for us at this point of the process, but you're almost there. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, Peot said:

You can take the sky train right from the airport into Surrey.  You will have to transfer a train but it will be easy.  Maybe 10 bucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from Manitoba, so I feel your annoyance; I decided to bite the bullet and make a trip of it all in one go.

I just called the Montreal office to schedule my medical today. They are very helpful in making sure you book it in enough time to get your results for the interview, and do recommend a bare minimum of 3 business days to process (so as others have said, at least the Thursday before your interview). He quoted me a total with tax of $453 CAD (vax's if you require any are extra).

I also vouch for AirBnB, as they have decent looking rooms from $30 to however lavish per night you want to spend, and a good cancellation policy. If you sign up with a referral code you get $50 bucks off your first stay- shameless plug, but it is a good deal.

Edited by LittleLeaf

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.