julis82

Student visa overstay

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi I have a US citizen family member that married a foreigner 6 years ago but he overstayed his visa for 6 days and they went back to mexico. 

He has a ban I wanted to confirm if he overstay is forgivenot since his is married to us citizen.

They both are living in Mexico with 2 kids trying to get him back in the US.

Bradford & Juliana

Timeline

Hi I have a US citizen family member that married a foreigner 6 years ago but he overstayed his visa for 6 days and they went back to mexico. 

He has a ban I wanted to confirm if he overstay is forgivenot since his is married to us citizen.

They both are living in Mexico with 2 kids trying to get him back in the US.

Bradford & Juliana

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends what his ban is for.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

exactly, what is the ban for? because there is no ban for a 6 day overstay. but you haven't said what is the ban

being married to a USC doesn't mean the ban is forgiven if the spouse leaves the country, the ban is triggered once a person leaves the country. but in general there is no ban for illegal presence on a 6 day overstay

Edited by aleful

Timeline

hi

as I said there is no ban for a 6 day overstay, bans for illegal presence start after 6 months of living illegally in the country

from 6 months to a year, the ban is 3 years, over a year of illegal presence in the country, the ban is 10 years

since the overstay was less than 6 months, there is no ban.

Filed: Timeline

If you want good answers, then you need to give us good information.

What was his status in the US?  What visa does he hold?  How long was he in the US?

There is no overstaying a student visa since a person is legal for the duration of stay (D/S).

No one gets a ban for 6 days of overstay.  That's not the law.

A overstay does invalidate his visa.  Just because his visa got cancelled, it doesn't mean he has a ban.

There is a difference between a ban and not being admitted into the US for lack of a visa.

Give us the details.

Edited by Jojo92122

A ban for what?  An overstay of only 6 days does not result in a ban.  Plus, if he was on a student visa, he was lIkely admitted "Duration of Status" (D/S) -- which means that, while he mght have been out of status, he could only accumukate overstay time if an immIgration judge or USCIS ruled he had overstayed.  So, he doesn't have a ban, or he over stayed longer than 6 days, or he has a ban for some other reason(s).

If he does actually have a ban for overstaying, and they are outside the US, he will be told during his visa interview that he needs to file for a 601 waiver of the overstay.

Edited by jan22

Timeline

He is no longer in the US. After his 6 day overstay he went back to mexico and never came back. The Mexican consulate told him he has a ban, apparently my family member never really researched the situation.

They been living in Mexico ever since with 2 kids trying to bring him back to the US via Mexican consulate

Bradford & Juliana

Timeline

did he show proof of when he left the US and proof of living in Mexico all these years?

they might think he left at a later date, incurring in a ban

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

very odd

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, julis82 said:

I will get more info on it. It's been crazy lately trying to bring him back.

I appreciate all the quick answers bit I will look for more info about it.

It would be best if your family member and her spouse to join VJ and ask for help directly.  Going through you as the middle man is just going to create confusion since you only have part of the information.  Answers based on incomplete information is going to be bad answers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The ban is for an overstay of over 180 days but less than a year. It should be for 3 years if I remember right. Under 180 is never mentioned, and the Mexican consulate has ZERO power to give a ban or know if someone is banned. That is USCIS info. Overstay is forgiven if you marry a citizen AND never left the country. I think it is the 601 unlawful presence waiver that this person would need.....if they have a ban at all. 

I think your person should just apply as a normal IR1/CR1 and see what happens, I doubt there is any real ban. If you need a waiver you will be told at the interview or via mail beforehand possibly.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.