Redheadguy03

I-139 born overseas on military base

12 posts in this topic

Ok, I was born overseas on a military base to two US citizens. On the 129f I put birth on USA soil and had no issues, but the affidavit of support has an option for "other."

Should I use this option and include a description? Or just mark birth on USA soil again? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I looked up whether or not military bases are considered US soil - they are not. So I think you should tell the truth on all forms. Yes, it will be different than previous. Besides, doesn't your birth certificate list a different country? 

http://military.findlaw.com/family-employment-housing/military-children-born-abroad.html

Edited by Penguin_ie

2 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

I looked up whether or not military bases are considered US soil - they are not.  So I think you should tell the truth on all forms. Yes, it will be different than previous. Besides, doesn't your birth certificate list a different country? 

http://military.findlaw.com/family-employment-housing/military-children-born-abroad.html

I didn't lie. I got approved without a RFE, so obviously it was ok to mark that. Both of my parents were in the military, born on a military installation. I've been told my entire life by my parents and by the United States Federal government, both civilian and military that I can put USA soil. However, for this I want to make sure I'm accurate as you can get a RFE. That's like when I was a kid everyone said oh you can't run for president. My NOA2 got approved so obviously it's ok because they definitely wouldn't have just missed that.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I guess it depends on whether or not military bases are considered US soil. I'm not a legal expert nor have military training but everything I've ever heard says they aren't. 

You asked for opinions, so I looked it up and gave you my opinion. 

You're a citizen because your parents are US citizens right? 

1 minute ago, EandH0904 said:

I guess it depends on whether or not military bases are considered US soil. I'm not a legal expert nor have military training but everything I've ever heard says they aren't. 

You asked for opinions, so I looked it up and gave you my opinion. 

You're a citizen because your parents are US citizens right? 

Yes, but if you get citizenship through your parents and not birth in the United States you get a certificate of citizenship. I do not have that. Therefore the parent option isn't what would apply to me. 

The 129f was approved, so obviously I completed it correctly. The affidavit of support however, has an option for other which wasn't on the 129f. That's why I'm asking and I think that option exists for situations just like this one. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** One post edited for language/ unwarranted personal attack. Be civil or do not post. ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Did your parents file a Report of Foreign birth with the U.S. consulate wherever you were born? The State Dept. should have a record of this if so. Under U.S. law, a child born overseas to at least one U.S. citizen who has spent at least five years of their life physically living in the U.S. (and at least two of those years being after they were 14-years-old) is a U.S. citizen as long as their parents apply for (and receive) a consular report of birth abroad for that child.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Ortolan said:

Did your parents file a Report of Foreign birth with the U.S. consulate wherever you were born? The State Dept. should have a record of this if so. Under U.S. law, a child born overseas to at least one U.S. citizen who has spent at least five years of their life physically living in the U.S. (and at least two of those years being after they were 14-years-old) is a U.S. citizen as long as their parents apply for (and receive) a consular report of birth abroad for that child.

I'm a USA citizen that's not the issue. They were in the military so I have a hospital birth certificate from the Air Force and a certificate of birth abroad. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Military Discussion forum for possible in-depth answers.  Unanswered duplicate thread removed. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

I'm a USA citizen that's not the issue. They were in the military so I have a hospital birth certificate from the Air Force and a certificate of birth abroad. 

If you have a certificate of birth abroad, it is clear that you were not born on US soil.  Really doesn't matter, since either way you were a US citizen from birth and I don't think anyone will pay n attention to how you are the form.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
18 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

Ok, I was born overseas on a military base to two US citizens. On the 129f I put birth on USA soil and had no issues, but the affidavit of support has an option for "other."

Should I use this option and include a description? Or just mark birth on USA soil again? 

Not getting an RFE doesn't mean everything was perfect.
As you have noted " They were in the military so I have a hospital birth certificate from the Air Force and a certificate of birth abroad. "

If you were born on US soil, you would not have received a "certificate of birth abroad"
That is not the same as McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone, because at the time it was under the control of the US and Congress had passed  laws concerning birth in the Canal Zone.  A US military base overseas is not "American Soil", as noted by FindLaw.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.