Springrain22

Best way to fill out I-864

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

what is the best way to fill out the I-864 form?

• on computer
  • write by hand
  • on computer and then write by hand

Is it a must or at least a big plus if I fill it using computer? I know there's a 2D barcode on each page that will help USCIS to process it faster, is it true? What if I then need to write something that is not possible using computer?

Can I leave some fields blank? Lets say I checked the checkbox "Yes" and then all fields under "No" -- what should I do to them, leave them blank or write N/A?

Please tell from your experience. I do not want to get any RFE or edits in the future, so really worry about all this process.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We did majority of it on computer. There was a couple numbers I hand wrote in which I have heard is okay to do.

We left unfilled spaces blank. So far just waiting for next notice.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

We did majority of it on computer. There was a couple numbers I hand wrote in which I have heard is okay to do.

We left unfilled spaces blank. So far just waiting for next notice.

If you fill it on computer, and then hand write something on top of it, the barcode will not refrect it, so the information will be different.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 4/17/2017 at 2:06 PM, Springrain22 said:

what is the best way to fill out the I-864 form?

• on computer
  • write by hand
  • on computer and then write by hand

Do it all by computer or all by hand; do not mix and match for the reason you mentioned. I would highly recommend doing everything on the computer. This ensures that all the information on the form can be scanned in quickly and efficiently.

Timeline
Just now, agripa said:

Do it all by computer or all by hand; do not mix and match for the reason you mentioned. I would highly recommend doing everything on the computer. This ensures that all the information on the form can be scanned in quickly and efficiently.

Do I need to write N/A everywhere for blank fields or just leave them blank?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

Do I need to write N/A everywhere for blank fields or just leave them blank?

Here's the relevant instructions:

"Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed."

If you're filling the form on the computer sometimes it will not you type into certain boxes, in which case you can leave it blank, otherwise if it does not apply to you following instructions and type "N/A" or "None" if a numeric response is required.

All one or the other.  I did computer then printed and signed it.  I got case complete with no RFEs

Edited by Thesmiths2016

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

Timeline

Does anyone know, if I should provide IRS transcripts for the last three years or just the most recent year (2016) is enough? If I send just 2016, can I leave blank the fields about 2015 and 2014 in the I-864?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

Does anyone know, if I should provide IRS transcripts for the last three years or just the most recent year (2016) is enough? If I send just 2016, can I leave blank the fields about 2015 and 2014 in the I-864?

My lawyer says she always includes the past three years' worth of tax transcripts (including the current 2016 tax-year). It's the best proof of constant employment and bolsters your case that you've held steady employment with a salary higher than then poverty line.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, agripa said:

My lawyer says she always includes the past three years' worth of tax transcripts (including the current 2016 tax-year). It's the best proof of constant employment and bolsters your case that you've held steady employment with a salary higher than then poverty line.

My 2016 income is 8x times higher than 2015. Will they do any time-consuming checking/processing if I sent both 2015 and 2016? Or just 2016 so they will see that I made much more than a 125% of poverty line and it's enough?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.