Springrain22

DS-260: a few questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi all, I am a USC filing DS-260 for my wife (under IR1), and I have a few questions. Sorry if it has been discussed already.

Do you hold or have you held any nationality other than the one you have indicated above?
She was born in USSR (Russia) and then moved to Belarus at age of 9, she's a Belarus citizen now. Do I need to state the previous Russian citizenship under this question?

Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry?
She has been trying to get B1/B2 tourist visa in 2012, and she did not get it that time. We can't remember the exact reason (have no papers about this), but I believe she did not prove her ties to her country. Do I need to state it under this question? Does it count as ""been refused a U.S. Visa"? If yes, what should I write in comments?

Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?
About vaccinations. We just started to collect them, can I answer "Yes"? We have her mecical records, just need time to figure out if we have all needed stuff, and to take some vaccinations if case it's not there. Can we answer "Yes" and submit it now and then proceed with collecting all records?

Thanks for all replies!

1) Yes. You must list all current citizenships, even if you do not use them.

2) Yes. If she applied for a visa but did not get it, then this counts as refused and must be listed.

3) The answer must be current as of the time the DS-260 is filed. If you do not have everything by the time you file the DS-260, then you must answer "No".

One more thing...while it's fine for you to fill in the answers for her,the DS-260 is her form. She is the one responsible for the content on it and must be the one to sign it. I highly suggest that before she signs it and it is submitted, that she completely reviews all the content on it. I've seen too many cases of somebody relying on a fiance/spouse/relative filling out the form and missing something or giving an incorrect answer, which can then come back to bite them. Personally, I suggest going over the form together, but having the applicant at least review the form they sign should absolutely be done.

Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

1) Yes. You must list all current citizenships, even if you do not use them.

2) Yes. If she applied for a visa but did not get it, then this counts as refused and must be listed.

3) The answer must be current as of the time the DS-260 is filed. If you do not have everything by the time you file the DS-260, then you must answer "No".

One more thing...while it's fine for you to fill in the answers for her,the DS-260 is her form. She is the one responsible for the content on it and must be the one to sign it. I highly suggest that before she signs it and it is submitted, that she completely reviews all the content on it. I've seen too many cases of somebody relying on a fiance/spouse/relative filling out the form and missing something or giving an incorrect answer, which can then come back to bite them. Personally, I suggest going over the form together, but having the applicant at least review the form they sign should absolutely be done.

Good luck!

Thanks!

1) She has no Russian passport, the only thing she has is the birth certificate from USSR (it's now called Russia). Does it still count as citizenship?

2) What should I write in the comments? What kind of explanation?

3) Again, if I state "No", what kind of comments should we provide? Can we say that we do not have it now but we're working on it and it will be provided at the time of the interview? Is it fine for them?

Yes, I understand. We're filling out the form together and I actually know much more than she does :) Of course, I will let her review the whole thing before submit. Thanks for your input!

11 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

Thanks!

1) She has no Russian passport, the only thing she has is the birth certificate from USSR (it's now called Russia). Does it still count as citizenship?

2) What should I write in the comments? What kind of explanation?

3) Again, if I state "No", what kind of comments should we provide? Can we say that we do not have it now but we're working on it and it will be provided at the time of the interview? Is it fine for them?

Yes, I understand. We're filling out the form together and I actually know much more than she does :) Of course, I will let her review the whole thing before submit. Thanks for your input!

1) Sorry, I don't know Russia's citizenship policies to say for sure. The lack of a passport is not proof, though...plenty of people don't have a passport even in their home country. Hopefully somebody more familiar with Russia can jump in. With the US, just being born abroad to a US parent doesn't make you a citizen as it has to be registered, but being born within the US and having a US birth certificate would make you a US citizen (until several years ago, a US birth certificate was sufficient to travel to Canada as a USC...no passport was needed).

2) I would just point out that she applied for a B2 to visit the US but it was denied. It won't hurt her application....she's applying for an immigrant visa now so ties to return home are irrelevant.

3) That should be fine. The main thing is they will want proof that they are completed before they issue the visa.  For extra peace of mind, check out this thread (read past the first few replies....):

Sounds good to me. Good luck! :)

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

on sign and submit page put your name as preparer of the DS-260 and your relationship as spouse.   then submit once your satisfied its complete and accurate. 

2013/05/03 Married

2013 CFO seminar to change name

2013 Passport issued in married name

USCIS

2015/06/27 Sent I-130

2015/06/29 Priority Date

2015/0701 NOA1

2015/08/05 NOA2

NVC

2015/08/17 Package received at NVC

2015/08/26 Received DS-261/AOS bill

2015/08/29 Sent AOS/IV

2015/08/31 AOS/IV scan date

2015/09/01 DS-260 submitted

2015/09/21 3 n/a (CC)

2015/09/28 Receive confirmation email of CC waiting interview date

2015/10/01 Interview date scheduled (P4)

Manila Embassy

2015/10/12 SLEC Medical, required to get doctor certificate and return the 30th.

2015/10/19 Went to hospital to get the doctors certificate for SLEC

2015/10/30 Appointment with doctor at SLEC for evaluation

2015/11/03 Completed medical

2015/11/05 Interview scheduled - APPROVED

2015/11/06 CEAC changed to issued

2015/11/11 Passport and visa delivered

2015/11/12 Passport stamped at CFO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.