janet3

Attending the k1 interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

My fiance is in Algeria. I sent in the 129f at the end of January 2017. I am waiting on the NOA2 which hopefully will arrive in a coyple of weeks..... I visited my fiance in Algeria in March  (22nd through the 29th) after receiving a visa from Algeria  (2 year visa, multiple entry, duration of 90 days).....

My question is.....

Should I attend the interview  (which I assume will be in July/August)?  Would it be beneficial if i was there? Will I be allowed in the building? My fiance would like me there for support  (and I would love to be there).....how long does it take to get the approval in Algiers? Could I stay for a couple of weeks and we fly back together? I would love to hear from anyone else who has been through this....or any ideas...thank you!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Middle East/North Africa regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know about Algeria but most countries do not let the petitioner in the embassy. You can sit outside and wait and of course he can tell them you are outside with hi - it makes for good proof. 

As far as how long it takes after that, again, there's no way of knowing. Do NOT get the ticket if they say he's approved -- wait till he has visa in hand. Many have been burned by getting a ticket too soon and not having the visa yet. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

I don't know about Algeria but most countries do not let the petitioner in the embassy. You can sit outside and wait and of course he can tell them you are outside with hi - it makes for good proof. 

As far as how long it takes after that, again, there's no way of knowing. Do NOT get the ticket if they say he's approved -- wait till he has visa in hand. Many have been burned by getting a ticket too soon and not having the visa yet. 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Algeria let's you in, you're not required to be there. Also Algeria lives to put people into AP, don't buy any tickets. 

I was with my husband 3 years prior to filing a cr1, had plenty of proper proofs. 2 trips,  pics with family and all. AP for 5 months... also, a lot of times they want to see 2 visits.  Hopefully it's gotten easier since the one man was fired. 

Edited by FarrahIdir

7/30/2015 Sent I130 priority mail to have tracking, I suggest you do the same.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

♤♤while waiting for noa2, I read this wiki to get through

NVC quickly ->http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

12/24/2015 Petition Sent to NVC from Nebraska

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

2/4/2016 paid IV Fee and waited to do ds260

2/3/2016 nvc received aos and iv packets(scan date)

2/7/2016 ds260 completed and now waiting for cc

♧CASE COMPLETE. .. march 8th

3/11/15 interview email

4/20/15 shots 4/25/15 rest of medical exam

INTERVIEW APRIL 27TH @8:30

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

June 20th submitted evidence requested

June 23rd case was touched by embassy

August 1st case was touched again.

AUGUST 16TH embassy called and wants a new co sponser yet he met requirements.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

Sept 28th update and embassy called

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline
On 4/9/2017 at 10:51 PM, janet3 said:

My fiance is in Algeria. I sent in the 129f at the end of January 2017. I am waiting on the NOA2 which hopefully will arrive in a coyple of weeks..... I visited my fiance in Algeria in March  (22nd through the 29th) after receiving a visa from Algeria  (2 year visa, multiple entry, duration of 90 days).....

My question is.....

Should I attend the interview  (which I assume will be in July/August)?  Would it be beneficial if i was there? Will I be allowed in the building? My fiance would like me there for support  (and I would love to be there).....how long does it take to get the approval in Algiers? Could I stay for a couple of weeks and we fly back together? I would love to hear from anyone else who has been through this....or any ideas...thank you!!!!!!

Was Your Visit In 2017? I hope not, cause if you filed before the trip you don't meet the requirements for the 2 years needed to meet BEFORE filing.  Seriously hoping you went in 2016

Edited by FarrahIdir

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

3/11/15 interview email

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline

Thank you for your response! I met my fiance in Germany 2016....prior to filing for the K1. I traveled to Algeria last month....after filing for the K1. I do plan on going to the interview. Thank you for the advice regarding the plane tickets. I will wait to buy a return ticket for when the visa is in hand.

Wow!!!! AP for 5 months!?!? That sounds miserable.....

Timeline
1 hour ago, janet3 said:

Thank you for your response! I met my fiance in Germany 2016....prior to filing for the K1. I traveled to Algeria last month....after filing for the K1. I do plan on going to the interview. Thank you for the advice regarding the plane tickets. I will wait to buy a return ticket for when the visa is in hand.

Wow!!!! AP for 5 months!?!? That sounds miserable.....

Thank god, u know I just breathed for you. Lol sigh... seriously I'm sorry to ask but you never know.

Yeah AP sucks, I know a lot of Algerians who sat it in. K1 and cr1 both equally get them. if you have red flags, I had age an difference. Which would be no family pics, different religion, Age difference , never being in algeria, etc.... they get goofy. All allowed by law but I've seen people get AP saying they need more proofs or they suffer them in AP till they have to file a cr1 or deal with a NOIR.

2 trips is good and one to his country is even better, your good on that. If you can go to the interview ,at that embassy, it will help alot. Even though you're not required ones who do have an easier time. They asked where I was, he said with her kids as they are in school. The officer said some ignorant stuff about it. Sighhhh

We got a 221g for more proofs for a cr1. Hello I sent 3 years worths of proofs but they play games sometimes . Took 5 months cause I gathered the correct items. Send affidavits !!!!!!!,  we only had one but sent 11 more with the 221g for more proofs. Along with a Islamic will cause they tried my husband on I'm not Muslim cause I have tattoos. Haha haha NO

I also had my business PayPal issue a card in his name. We screen shotted each of us as the FB Legacy contact. They troll your social media. He had my second FB up,  it's my legal name also ain't nobody hiding . I had my husband listed on both but it only allows you to link one profile.  He tried to tell my husband I'm married to another. My husband started to laughing and was like are you crazy?  Dude just looked at him and my husband said, that's my wife and she is married to one. 1st it's Islamic law. Second I know your laws, it's not allowed so don't speak on her like this. 

He's testing them, the guy we got and the girl sucks also, know how to do their job. They sniff out anything you have on you like the title my ex never took me off on the car. Dude. I'm not living there and I have no clue he never did it. They Don't Play which This One Flag I Can Respect. It caused a domicile issue, so I had to correct this. 

Prepare your husband to stand his ground on who you are to him and how his family feels on you. They brought his culture and our religion into the interview. In the end my husband said he was correct in asking some questions but he knew others were to set him off. To anger him and get him all flustered. this is a tool some use to get you slipped up. Rightfully so...

I also know another who they didn't even look at their evidence. Handed them a 221g. His interview was unkind,  I'm still upset at what was said to him. His spouse had to go a second time. I know a lot of Algerians who were denied cause they were not smart n filing correct paperwork. Not trying to scare you but prepare you.

Honestly it's really good you have meet twice, this is what me and my husband did. This embassy can be super hard for some if not presented correctly. 

Edited by FarrahIdir

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

3/11/15 interview email

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline

I understand completely ;) you never know....

My fiance and I traveled from Germany to Prague together  (my sister and I had flown to Prague and I went to Germany to meet him)....so he met my sister  (and I think I even included a picture of us all together in Prague when I sent the k1 packet in. 

As for the interview....further evidence of relationship......I have pictures of my trip to Algeria  (and am including a picture of his mother and I and also a picture with some of his friends). I also have copies of my passport stamps and visa, all the plane tickets and tickets to the museums  (we are art and history freaks)......I was better at keeping ticket stubs on the trip to Algeria  (I even have the metro tickets and parking garage receipts) And chat logs, Skype logs, viber logs, etc....

Neither he nor I follow any religion. There is an age difference between us....I am 45 and he is 40. Neither of us has been married before. 

I am hoping the interview will go well  (after reading the interview reviews that hope is dwindling).....

Your husband's interview sounds like a nightmare! That sounds more like an interrogation than an interview! 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, janet3 said:

I understand completely ;) you never know....

My fiance and I traveled from Germany to Prague together  (my sister and I had flown to Prague and I went to Germany to meet him)....so he met my sister  (and I think I even included a picture of us all together in Prague when I sent the k1 packet in. 

As for the interview....further evidence of relationship......I have pictures of my trip to Algeria  (and am including a picture of his mother and I and also a picture with some of his friends). I also have copies of my passport stamps and visa, all the plane tickets and tickets to the museums  (we are art and history freaks)......I was better at keeping ticket stubs on the trip to Algeria  (I even have the metro tickets and parking garage receipts) And chat logs, Skype logs, viber logs, etc....

Neither he nor I follow any religion. There is an age difference between us....I am 45 and he is 40. Neither of us has been married before. 

I am hoping the interview will go well  (after reading the interview reviews that hope is dwindling).....

Your husband's interview sounds like a nightmare! That sounds more like an interrogation than an interview! 

It is an interrogation,  passive aggressive one. You'll be fine, all that evidence will be good.  It helps you both have never been married, close in age and 2 visits. Being there will help and I'm glad you can go. Once approved like they say approved to your face, they issue it within 2 weeks. Ours they rushed as his medical was gonna expire and it's 6 months from the medical you must enter.  He had 10 days to pack his life and say goodbye cause AP, nobody knows when.

He's been here 6 months and some of the others made it out of AP. They just had to jump through hoops but it's worth it. 

My husband lived in Algiers but if from Bejaia region.  I'm going back December,  inshallah. One day I'll just stay and not return....lol

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

3/11/15 interview email

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.