ahmed elwali

Remove Condition After Divorce

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello, my wife and I would like to divorce peacefully but we are trying to find a way that I can stay here. It didn't work out between us but we are still friends. My green card expires in September 2018 and I am worried about applying to remove the conditional green card. It says that I need to prove an extreme hardship in my country. 

My questions are:

1) Do I actually need to prove an extreme hardship? 

2) How do I prove extreme hardship, if needed?

3) How can my wife help me with this? She is willing to help me in any way.

4) If anyone has been through this process, what were any complications you had or heard of? 

5) How can I prove my marriage was on good faith? (I went through the K-1 Fiance Visa process) 

6) What are my chances of staying? 

Thank you for your help. 

Divorce waiver should work fine in your case provided that you can prove that you entered the marriage in good faith.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline

KULtoATL: Then why does the USCIS website say you need to prove extreme hardship? And how do you know this information?

This is what the USCIS website states: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

"In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship."

No, you don't need to prove hardship. This one applies to you.

Eligibility Criteria

Generally, you may apply to remove your conditions on permanent residence if you:

• Are still married to the same U.S. citizen or permanent resident after 2 years. You may include your children in your application if they received their conditional-resident status either at the same time or within 90 days as you did;
  • Are a child and, for a valid reason, cannot be included in your parents’ application;
  • Are a widow or widower who entered into your marriage in good faith;
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but the marriage ended through divorce or annulment; or
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but either you or your child were battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident spouse.

See that "or"? It means that you don't have to prove both. Just one. Start the divorce proceedings, and file with a divorce waiver. You need all the same proof that you were legitimately married, lived together etc, but that it didn't work out. USCIS will eventually issue an RFE for the divorce decree, and you'll have to send it once you get it.

You're more likely to be called for an interview than if you were still married, but most are approved anyway. 

You'll find lots of help on here. Relax, and good luck!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Timeline
1 minute ago, nightingalejules said:

No, you don't need to prove hardship. This one applies to you.

Eligibility Criteria

Generally, you may apply to remove your conditions on permanent residence if you:

• Are still married to the same U.S. citizen or permanent resident after 2 years. You may include your children in your application if they received their conditional-resident status either at the same time or within 90 days as you did;
  • Are a child and, for a valid reason, cannot be included in your parents’ application;
  • Are a widow or widower who entered into your marriage in good faith;
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but the marriage ended through divorce or annulment; or
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but either you or your child were battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident spouse.

See that "or"? It means that you don't have to prove both. Just one. Start the divorce proceedings, and file with a divorce waiver. You need all the same proof that you were legitimately married, lived together etc, but that it didn't work out. USCIS will eventually issue an RFE for the divorce decree, and you'll have to send it once you get it.

You're more likely to be called for an interview than if you were still married, but most are approved anyway. 

You'll find lots of help on here. Relax, and good luck!

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage 

So those bullet points are the first part of it, and what you said is true, but underneath shows other information regarding specific cases. And one says:

If You Are No Longer Married To Your Spouse or If You Have Been Battered or Abused by Your U.S.-Citizen or Lawful Permanent-Resident Spouse or Parent:

You can apply to waive the joint filing requirement if you are no longer married to your spouse, or if you have been battered or abused by your U.S.-citizen or lawful permanent-resident spouse or parent.

In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship.

Here's a guy whose ROC with a divorce waiver that got approved. It's a 2015 thread so please read it for your reference but do not revive the thread because I will be stoned for linking it to you in the first place :lol: Have faith! As @nightingalejules said, go get a divorce first and start gather the relevant documents in the meantime. You'll need more than just your divorce decree. Best of luck.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

2 minutes ago, ahmed elwali said:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage 

So those bullet points are the first part of it, and what you said is true, but underneath shows other information regarding specific cases. And one says:

If You Are No Longer Married To Your Spouse or If You Have Been Battered or Abused by Your U.S.-Citizen or Lawful Permanent-Resident Spouse or Parent:

You can apply to waive the joint filing requirement if you are no longer married to your spouse, or if you have been battered or abused by your U.S.-citizen or lawful permanent-resident spouse or parent.

In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship.

You weren't battered or abused by your USC wife, were you??? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, KULtoATL said:

You weren't battered or abused by your USC wife, were you??? 

If you are no longer married to your spouse OR if you have been battered...

That means just not being married any longer also needs the requirements below, not just being abused.

4 minutes ago, ahmed elwali said:

If you are no longer married to your spouse OR if you have been battered...

That means just not being married any longer also needs the requirements below, not just being abused.

You really need to read the instructions in full on the USCIS page to give you context. Underneath the part that you had quoted, there were also info such as the following which would apply to you more appropriately:

How to Get a Waiver of the Requirement to File a Joint Petition

If you are unable to apply with your spouse to remove the conditions on your residence, you may request a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You may request consideration of more than one waiver provision at a time.

You may request a waiver of the joint petitioning requirements if:

• Your deportation or removal would result in extreme hardship
  • You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but the marriage ended by annulment or divorce, and you were not at fault in failing to file a timely petition
  • You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but during the marriage you or your child were battered by, or subjected to extreme cruelty committed by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, and you were not at fault in failing to file a joint petition

Note: Refer to Form I-751 for more specific information on waivers

If You Are In Divorce Proceedings But Are Not Yet Divorced

If you are still married, but legally separated and/or in pending divorce or annulment proceedings, and:

• You filed a waiver request. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment (if applicable).
  • You filed a Form I-751 petition jointly. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment and a statement that you would like to have your joint filing petition treated as a waiver.

Upon receipt of the final divorce decree or annulment within the specified time period, we will amend the petition, to indicate that eligibility has been established for a waiver of the joint filing requirement based on the termination of the marriage.

Edited by KULtoATL

Timeline

Is it a good idea if my wife write a statement saying that we had a real marriage and that i entered the marriage with good intentions ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, ahmed elwali said:

Is it a good idea if my wife write a statement saying that we had a real marriage and that i entered the marriage with good intentions ?

Yes, it's a good piece of evidence.

Bear in mind that even in the worst case scenario, if USCIS denied your case and took you to court, the onus is on them to prove the marriage was fraudulent with the purpose of evading immigration laws. That clearly isn't the case! You'll be fine!

Spoiler

K1

15 November 2013: Sent I-129F Package 

21 November 2013: NOA1 

20 December 2013: NOA2

23 January 2014: Medical (London)

11 April 2014: Interview - Approved!

29 April 2014: POE Chicago

20 June 2014: Married in DC

AOS

7 July 2014: Mailed AOSEAD & AP forms via USPS

14 July 2014: NOA1 Text & E-Mails (x3) received at 23:52hrs (Received Date: 07/11/2014)

14 July 2014: Cheque cashed & I-485 transferred to Nebraska Service Centre

18 July 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received (x3)

22 July 2014: Biometrics Letter rec'd (Appointment 07/31/2014)

23 July 2014: Early Biometrics walk-in at Cincinnati office successful!

05 September 2014: EAD & AP approved! (texts rec'd 16:45hrs)

11 September 2014: EAD/AP card mailed

12 September 2014: EAD/AP card in hand (delivered 9:54am)

18 October 2014: Potential interview waiver letter rec'd (Dated: 10/15/2014)

19 May 2015: I-485 approved! (No interview) Welcome letter mailed!

23 May 2015: I-797 (NOA2) Welcome notice received

27 May 2015: Green card received

ROC

ROC filing window opens 18 February 2017

16 February 2017: ROC packet mailed to CSC

18 February 2017: USPS Tracking - Ready for collection from PO Box

25 February 2017: NOA1 received dated 02/21/2017

03 March 2017: Received biometrics appointment letter dated 25th February 2017. Appointment on 16 March 2017.

16 March 2017: Biometrics completed

08 March 2018: Case (allegedly) transferred to the National Benefits Center (presumably for a combo interview)

04 April 2019: ROC approved (as part of N-400 combo interview)

N-400

18 February 2018: N-400 Application submitted online

21 February 2018: NOA1 Rreceived

23 February 2018: Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment 13 March 2018. 

27 April 2018: Interview notice received. Interview Date: June 5, 2018. Request to reschedule sent as out of the country at that time.

04 April 2019: Attended interview ... PASSED!

11 April 2019: Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.