64 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello. Throwaway account for identity reasons. Me and my wife have been married alittle under 2 years now. Our marriage was great but the past few months have been daunting.  

I think I made a mistake by getting married , and I also did not pay attention to some red flags. I don't want to bash my wife on the internet but she can be very hysterical sometimes. I have never witnessed anyone in my life ever behave like her. 

Last week we got into an argument because I haven't had sex with her (my mind isn't into it). And I went to sleep on the couch, after work and school I came home and found that she was wearing a long sleeve shirt. I looked closely and saw bruise marks all over her arms, and she had them on her legs, too. I'm shocked and speechless, so much that I don't even know what to do.

last night she asked me why I was online on VK (vk is like a Russian Facebook). Again , I'm sleeping on the couch and while we bickered on our phones, I fell asleep. Apparently she took offense to that. As I'm leaving work, i see her sleeping at 8am. I come home and prepare for my night classes at 4pm and she's still in bed. I think to myself "ok she must be sore from the gym or maybe she had a headache". After I came home from school at 9pm, she's still in bed!

I convinced her to get up and we went to buy some food. We came home and I grabbed her phone that she left on the bed. I opened her vk (like Facebook) and found this message in her chat (she sent it to herself)

"For asdf
I hope you'll find this message. Send the part of it to girls and my mum. I recommend you to block my mum after because she's hysterical. 

I don't want to live. I feel like I'm stuck in prison and I don't know what did I do wrong in my life. 
I can't go back, I can't stay here. I just can't be happy. I tried but I just can't.

You already know everything, we talked a lot. You know how depressed I am, you know all the reasons. 

A part for my mom and friends: я не чувствую себя счастливой. Мне жаль. Не расстраивайтесь. Никто ни в чем не виноват, это все я и особенности моего характера. 

Goodbye and have a good and happy life."

what in the hell do i do? I'm scared and thinking of sending her back to her country, at least for a vacation.

Well I would absolutely consider therapy as quickly as possible for one. Not just marriage counseling, but therapy for her on her own and therapy for you on your own. People who reach hysterical moments usually get there because they feel they are not being heard and it is the only way to get any sort of reaction - good or bad.  It sounds like you both have issues communicating your needs to each other. I hope you find a way to find peace in your lives and with each other. 

K1 Visa Application:                                                                                                                                                        Timeline for AOS
129-F Delivered: Lewiston, TX 10/29/2015                                                                                                                 AOS paperwork (including EAD & AP) sent via Express Mail: 10/1/2016
NOA1 eNotification: 11/3/2015 (Sent to CSC - yay!)                                                                                                 AOS paperwork received by USCIS: 10/3/2016
NOA1 Hard Copy: 11/8/2015 | NOA2 eNotification: : 11/30/2015 | NOA2 Hard Copy: 12/4/2015                   NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 10/5/16, ~11pm Central time, one notice for each application
NVC Received: 12/10/2015 | NVC Case Assigned: 12/11/2015                                                                             Check Cashed: 10/6/16
Mailed to Embassy: 12/16/2015 (Status shows as Ready)                                                                                     NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 10/11/16
Received hardcopy Letter from NVC: 12/19/2015                                                                                                     Biometrics Letter Received: 10/28/16
Embassy Received Packet: 12/21/2015                                                                                                                      Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/9/16 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day)
Email from Embassy for Beneficiary Email: 12/24/2015                                                                                          EAD approved on: 11/16/16 (early in the day) / AP approved on: 11/16/16 (late in the day)
Replied to Embassy: 12/24/2015                                                                                                                                  AP produced+mailed on:11/18/16 | AP letters (2) received on: 11/18/16
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 3: 12/28/15                                                                                                 EAD card produced+mailed on: 11/22/16 | EAD card received on: 11/25/16
Replied to Embassy: 12/28/15 (at night)                                                                                                                     Social Security card application date: 11/28/16 | LOST IN THE MAIL
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 4: 12/29/15 (in the morning)                                                                    Social Security card received on: 12/27/16 (Ordered a new one at the office on 12/19/16)
Interview Date: Jan 13th @ 12:30pm - Approved!                                                                                                      Interview Waiver! (6 months and 2 weeks past the first NOA1)
CEAC status changed to admin processing: 1/14/16                                                                                                Card Ordered notice (text and online): 4/19/17
CEAC status changed to issued: 1/19/16                                                                                                                     I-485 Approval notice (text and online): 4/20/17
US travel docs website shows "out for delivery": 1/20/16                                                                                          Card Produced + WILL Mail notice 4/27/17
Called by courier regarding delivery attempt: 1/21/16                                                                                                Card Mailed notice: 5/2/2017
Passport in hand:1/22/16 (he went to their office to pick it up) | Arrival date into the US: 3/09/16                    Green Card Received: 5/5/2017 
Married: 06/04/2016
Timeline for ROC
ROC paperwork sent via Express Mail: 1/24/2019
ROC paperwork received by USCIS: 1/28/2019
NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 2/4/19
Check Cashed: 2/6/19
NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 2/11/19
Biometrics Letter Received: 9/20/19 (Did not need biometrics)

Biometrics Letter Received: 10/25/19 (Biometrics Request)

Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/5/19 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day) 

Biometrics Review Completed: 11/6/19 (Processing I-751) - Online notice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This person sounds mentally unstable for sure. If she has physically harmed herself, it could be one of two things: just a cry for help or a sign that she might try something worse or even fatal.

If your questioning your marriage, it's not a good sign. Try seeking professional help at this point, maybe sending her back to Russia is a good idea as well, but it seems like she has not the best relationship with her mother either.

I think you sleeping on the couch probably makes her feel neglected and like she's not wanted. Even if you don't mean it that way, it might be contributing to her problems. She sounds like she feels isolated....there must be a bigger reason for this. If you said the marriage was good for two years, why would this suddenly flare up out of the blue?

If possible, get professional help. People that have already taken actions to harm themselves are at risk of doing something crazy. I know from experience, take it seriously and try to get a professional involved or at least get professional advice.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

get help for her immediately. She may have underlying mental health problems.

Couples' therapy may be a good addition too. A note on marital relations: it's a two-way street. Sometimes you want it and she doesn't. Sometimes it's the other way around. Don't withhold intimate relations just because 'you're not in the mood' - sometimes, you'll have to cater to her needs. She is lonely (does she work?), unhappy, and on top of that, her husband doesn't want her. That would make me very depressed, too. Don't you want to make her happy? Start by apologizing for not 'feeling in the mood lately', reach out to her and put your arms around her. Cuddling and falling asleep in each others' arms may help her feel less lonely, even if it doesn't go any further.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

if you truly fear gör her life you can call 911 and tell them your wife is suicidal and they will come out do a field evaluation and if they deal her to be a threat to herself or others they can place her in a 5150 hold that will hold her for up to 72 hours so they can evaluate and medicate if needed.

good luck

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Marco&Bettina said:

That's not going to help her. She needs support from her SPOUSE!

And from a professional!!

OP, where is she now?

Timeline

She's with me, I didn't work today. I'll get counseling. The reason why I sleep on the couch is because I snore, and she says my leg shakes. 

Honestly, i think she needs to consider moving back to Russia until her depression gets better. I've talked to her (it's even in her message). One thing I did not mention is that her grandfather (father figure) was diagnosed with cancer. I care about her and support her but I can't just be home like her.

out life would be so much easier if she put effort into driving, too. 

OP. If she has depression it's important that she will see someone, even if it's just the regular doctor for today or tomorrow.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

my husband snores and he has involuntary spasms which make his legs shake. And yet, every night, I fall asleep with his arms around me (I wear earplugs). You get used to it.

Even if you sleep on the couch, do you touch her? Cuddle before leaving to go sleep on the couch? I'm not naively suggesting this will solve all your problems, but show her you care. Find out what her love language is, and try to speak it.

It's good that you talk to her. Let her suggest ways to improve her life and your relationship. That may be a short trip to Russia, but maybe not. It's hard to put your own desires on the back burner, but it sounds like you'll have to at least for now. However, your quality of life will almost certainly improve with a happier wife.

It's also really important to talk to her. Have you ever asked her why she doesn't get her license? I'm sorry but posting behind her back on the internet "our life would be so much better if she put effort into getting her license.." is not very fair.
What are her reasons of not applying for one? Have you considered that people with depression (if that is the underlying problem) have a hard time putting effort into things?
Putting your wife on a plane back to Russia so she can deal with it there is not what you signed up for when you spoke your vows. For better and for worse, right? In sickness and in health? Become the husband she needs and talk to her, ask her if she wants to see a therapist here. Ask her if she wants to share her feelings with you. Adjusting in a different country is not always easy and it can be difficult on someone if the only person they have is their spouse. Be there for her.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.