sevecen

Tourist Visa Denied for Parents ' Need Help '

46 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have a few questions for you all regarding USA B2 Visa

Last week my mom and my father applied for B2 Tourist Visa to come to visit us, we are a permanent resident in the USA. 

Visa Officer refused the visa with 214B without checking any document.  My Dad is goverment employee and he has to go back to country and my mom is retireed with 2 college kids so she has to go back either. 

I believe the reason for the visa denial was related duration of the stay. My mom wanted to stay 5 month she just wanted to spend more time with us, and dad is staying 5 weeks since he has only 5 weeks vacation.

So Visa Office asked this  question “How long you are going to stay in America”. my mother answers this question  as below

I will be staying 5 months and my husband staying 5 weeks since he has only 5 weeks vacation.  I guess V.O didn’t like that and refused the visa. 

So we are going to get a 2nd interview and I have several questions.

1.- Mom this time is going to put 5 weeks duration for DS160  as my father, Does V.O ask why did you change duration from 5 Months to 5 Weeks from the last interview? If so how should we answer this question? Does this cause another refusal?

2.- If they get visa and said we are going to stay 5 weeks, then if mom stays 4 months would that cause any problem next time they visit us?

3.-  What kind of question should we expect for the second interview?

We are really need mom to come to visit us.

Thanks,

Changing their answers is not going to help. They didn't prove enough ties that they will return to their country. Reapplying soon after a rejection with no major changes to evidence to strong ties will likely have the same result.

Their denial is on file. And them reapplying and changing answers and duration of stay will only make it seem like they are trying to say what they thing the CO wants to hear instead of the truth.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

The problem is they have a tie back to country, Dad is government employee and mom is retired with 2 college kids so they have no intention to stay.    My mom didn't let my dad to speak(because VO asked question directly to mom) she just spoke with VO and gave really short answers that not really convincing so for the second interview they will tell VO for their intention with the documents. 

Here is the VO and mom conversation.

Have you visited any other countries?  -No

Why do you want to go to America?     -To visit my daughter?

What you daughter doing there?         -She is married

Is she married with a Turkish             -Yes

How long  has she been in USA        -3.5 Years

D

o they have Permanent Residency -Yes, they have a green card.

How long do you intent to stay? -My husband 5 Weeks, because he has 5 weeks’ vacation

How long do you want to stay(Direct Question to Mom) -5 Months

What do you do in Turkey                                            -          I don’t work

Do you have any other children in Turkey?             -Yes ,2

Are they student? Are they going to college? -Yes they are one of them is Medical Student other one is Pilot.

(V.O typed something to computer and refused visa and said. 

I am sorry we cannot give you Visa this time, I would suggest you to visit some other countries first then re-apply US visa.

What would be your suggestion for second interview?  Now I understand it won't be good to change from 5 months to 5 weeks. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you 

Stay for 5 months, 4 months? It is not for tourism purpose.

Obviously, with her first denial, some changes/reduction in answers would not help at all. It is not a bargain with consulate officer. 

One parent goes and one stays might help. 2 parents go same time is not ideal.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Sounds as if your mom is willing to lie.. change her story.. in order to obtain a visa. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think it might be the children as they are grown up and because of that it does not show strong ties. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Timeline
18 minutes ago, KierenHby said:

How about simply being truthful about her actual length of visit? 

+1

And the CO already told her how she can improve her chances - travel to other countries first. 

Add to that she has hardly any ties (no job, no kids to look after) and wants to spend 5 months ?! just to 'visit'...well the decision is already made before they made it to the interview...why would the CO even bother looking at some documents?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you Father is the one with ties, perhaps he should apply on his own.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

"I am sorry we cannot give you Visa this time, I would suggest you to visit some other countries first then re-apply US visa."

What if the "some other country" refuses her visa application and suggests her to visit some "some other country" first and then re-apply to the "some other country's" visa...

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your Mom and Dad apparently have no travel history... Thus no record of them entering and leaving any other countries as per terms of travel plans.  Your Dad is a Gov. employee but this does NOT require that he return to that profession.  If the salary is good and they own property in their home country are active members of the community these all show strong ties.  But the visa office gave you the instructions on what must be done.. Your parents must establish a travel history to other countries.   Likely beginning with ones that they have visa free access to and then use that to obtain visas for countries that require it.   Having a travel history that didn't exist before is the best grounds for re-applying.  Remember in the USA by law the the CO MUST assume that the applicant intends to travel to the USA and remain there.  Over coming that requires strong ties to home country and sometimes also a strong travel history.  Sounds like you will need to plan to meet your Mom and Dad "1/2 way in between" and maybe re-apply 6 months to a year later after your parents have built up travel history which would constitute a change in circumstances.  At that point it might be advisable for mom and Dad to both plan a shorter visit to the USA,  not because they want to give the answer that satisfies the CO but because they truly have no desire to be away that long or because they want to pursue other destinations possible with you.    

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, goodlulck52 said:

"I am sorry we cannot give you Visa this time, I would suggest you to visit some other countries first then re-apply US visa."

What if the "some other country" refuses her visa application and suggests her to visit some "some other country" first and then re-apply to the "some other country's" visa...

I am unaware of any country on earth that doesn't have visa free access to at least one other country...   Sounds like they are from Turkey which means they have visa free access to 102 other countries including ones that don't require a plane flight and some lovely tropical spots in the Caribbean

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
17 minutes ago, JE57 said:

I am unaware of any country on earth that doesn't have visa free access to at least one other country...   Sounds like they are from Turkey which means they have visa free access to 102 other countries including ones that don't require a plane flight and some lovely tropical spots in the Caribbean

Good point! At least it is not a dead-end. Only need to save up more for an international trip (or two) and be extra patient.

11 hours ago, KierenHby said:

How about simply being truthful about her actual length of visit? 

There were truthful.

8 hours ago, goodlulck52 said:

Good Point:)  it is simple way of getting rid of applicant, there is no guarantee they will give visa even though if they travel other countries.

Thank you all for your great response, I will update this thread if they get visa on second interview.  I really appreciate everyone response. 

Thank you so much

regards, 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.