Kwesi&efiya

K1 Visa Process (Start to Finish)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I joined VJ because I had so many questions about the process and wanted to chat and share information/tips with others who were going through the same thing. Below I have listed a detailed account of our journey and hope it helps some of you that are preparing to start the process.

Timeline:

Fiancé and I met in 2011; relationship began in 2014; engaged in March 2016.

I-129F submitted: 9.8.16

NOA1: 9.13.17

NOA2: 10.27.16

Left NVC: 11.28.16

Consulate Received: ?

Packet 3 Mailed: 12.9.16

Packet 3 Received: Went to embassy for packet on 2.15.17 after receiving email

Interview Date: 2.21.17 -------à approved!!

We never received the packet 3 via mail. I emailed the embassy with a few questions and they informed me that they mailed the packet to me (the petitioner) on 12.9.16 and that I should have received it. I spoke with a representative at the 703-520-2573 customer service number and they told me that the embassy has a list of people that they have sent the packets out to and we should only move forward IF we had indeed been notified that the packet was sent. (IDK how true this is but those were her exact words). My fiancé printed the email and ceac status that said “ready for interview” and went to the embassy to ensure we would be granted the chance to be interviewed (we had already scheduled the date). He received the packet which contained basic instructions for interview preparation (as discussed heavily on VJ).

Below is the order of information we presented

:

Passport

Passport photos

DS 160 confirmation page

Medical Report (sealed)

Police Certificate

Birth Certificate

Financial Support

• ·      They only asked for one year of tax information

• ·      I also included an employment letter but it was not reviewed

Letter of Intent

Evidence of Relationship

• ·      Whatsapp convos

• ·      Facetime logs

• ·      Facebook interactions

• ·      Twitter conversations/mentions

• ·      Pictures from 3 most recent visits

o   Pics with his family, friends, engagement night in Dubai, etc

• ·      Screenshots of selected conversations

• ·      Letters of support from a few fam. and friends

• ·      Wedding preparation (ring receipt, dress receipt, etc.)

• ·      Emails

• ·      Apple Music subscription (family plan)

Original Petition

• ·      With all USCIS and NVC letters

• ·      This was not reviewed

We originally used a hard brown file but after reading around on VJ, I saw that most people were saying the file should be flexible so we switched to the navy one. Each of the documents were in an individual clear sheet and labeled with a notecard. Although my fiancé was praised for organization, the documents were removed from the file and clear sheets and placed in order in a simple folder and taken back for review.

Whew, that’s a lot of info but I know I was hoping someone would put their details in one forum versus having to search a million different ones for answers to questions I had.  Hope this helps! Let me know if you all have any questions.

**Questions from the actual interview will be in my fiancé’s review*

Timeline

Congratulations and thank you for taking time to put your process up. Please l need help. My fiancee got his letter two weeks ago and l have a question about the affidavit of support. Which form do l feel I-134 or the I-184? Also do l fill it out and mail it to him because the nvc didn't ask me for that but in the letter he got in Ghana it ask of affidavit of support. How much do l have to have in my bank account? Do l need a bank statement from my bank and a letter from my work place? Do l add the 1-129 form to the affidavit of support form that l have to send to him? Thanks in advance your help.

Timeline

I just read through what you posted and l just need answers on just the affidavit of support please. I don't know if to fill the form out and send it to USCIS before sending it to him or just fill it out and mail it to him 

Timeline
6 hours ago, VOTA said:

Congratulations and thank you for taking time to put your process up. Please l need help. My fiancee got his letter two weeks ago and l have a question about the affidavit of support. Which form do l feel I-134 or the I-184? Also do l fill it out and mail it to him because the nvc didn't ask me for that but in the letter he got in Ghana it ask of affidavit of support. How much do l have to have in my bank account? Do l need a bank statement from my bank and a letter from my work place? Do l add the 1-129 form to the affidavit of support form that l have to send to him? Thanks in advance your help.

Thank you!! You will fill the I-134. I only submitted the affidavit and submitted it at the interview and not during the initial petition. Here is a link (https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p ) for how much you are required to make. It varies with the number of people in your household so it's hard for me to say. I provided only one year of W2s with my I-134 although bank statements and a letter from the bank would not hurt. Although I met the financial requirements, I also submitted an additional I-134 from someone else just to show additional support. I included the original petition (with the I-129 included) but my fiance said they did not look at it.

Timeline
6 hours ago, VOTA said:

I just read through what you posted and l just need answers on just the affidavit of support please. I don't know if to fill the form out and send it to USCIS before sending it to him or just fill it out and mail it to him 

Hey! I filled the affidavit and mailed it to my fiance (along with the other paperwork) and he presented it at the interview. 

Timeline

Congratulations to you and yours! 

11/17/2016 - K1/I-129f Petition sent 

11/18/2016 - K1/I-129f Petition received at TX Lock box. / Fee accepted. 

11/22/2016 - NOA1 Received
02/16/2017 - NOA2 Approved 

02/18/2017 - NOA2 Letter received

03/08/2017 - NVC Received I-129f

03/09/2017 - NVC Approved 

03/10/2017 - NVC tracking number and sent to embassy

03/13/2017 - Embassy received I-129f package

04/06/2017 - Embassy Package 3 received

04/25/2017 - Medical

05/16/2017 - Interview

05/16/2017-  Approved!!! 

08/19/2017 - Arrival to JFK!

10/11/2017-  Married

11/11/2017- AOS Mailed 

11/17/2017- AOS Accepted

02/02/2018 - EAD Approved  

Timeline
17 hours ago, VOTA said:

Hello thank your help. Please what do l tell the bank ? That l need a bank statement?

yup!! and they should be able to grant a "detailed report" with your financial info. good luck! :)

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all! I have questions. I asked the bank for the letter and they said they dont do that, second do we have to sumit our taxes?? I have employer letter banks statements and paystubs...do you guys think its enough for financial proof?

♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥

K1 VISA -129F      

12/22/16 (MAILED I-129F  -   6/16/17- INTERVIEW -APPROVED!!

6/27/17- VISA IN HAND & POE

:wub:~~~~~~~~♥GOT MARRIED 07/29/2017♥~~~~~~~~:wub:

AOS

9/28/17 SENT  - 11/13/17 NOTICE OF REJECTION:(

NEW AOS

5/15/18 SENT AOS PACKET

5/18/18 PACKET ARRIVED (DAY 1)  

5/23/18 NOA FOR AOS & RECEIVED TEXT/E-MAIL FOR AOS, AP, EAD :thumbs:

5/25/18 MONEY ORDER CASHED

5/29/18 NOA LETTERS RECEIVED (AOS, AP, EAD)

6/8/18 BIO APPT LETTER RECEIVED (BIO APPT. 6/19)

6/11/18 BIO DONE (WENT IN EARLY ) :dance:

6/12/18 FINGERPRINTS RECEIVED AS PER PHONE CALL TO USCIS

9/28/18 RFE FOR AOS STATUS CHANGE - EAD/AP SAME STATUS (DAY 136):cry:

10/9/18 RECEIVED RFE LETTER 

10/19/18 SENT RFE RESPONSE :ot2:

10/23/18 USCIS UPDATE RECEIVED RFE RESPONSE (DAY 1)

11/6/18 Requested an Inquiry for I-131  (DAY 174) (DAY 16)

11/8/18 Requested an inquiry for I-765 (DAY 174) (DAY 16)

11/16/18 EAD/AP CASE APPROVED :dance:

11/19/18 APPROVAL LETTER RECEIVED

11/26/18 EAD/AP CARD RECEIVED

11/27/18 USCIS UPDATE "CASE IS READY TO BE SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW"

12/4/18 USCIS UPDATE "INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED" 

01/10/19 AOS APPOINTMENT! :joy::dance:  APPROVED!!

01/13/19 AOS "APPROVED" Update Text received 

♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥♫♪♫♪♫♥

hi, I just got married 2 months ago and my fiancé filled the I-130 a month ago. We already received our NOA 1 and waiting patiently, well trying to wait patiently for the approval. I read so many stories and their process times seem so tedious. It's great to hear that someone got through this process within 5 months. How did it work out so fast for you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On 4/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, She0710 said:

hi, I just got married 2 months ago and my fiancé filled the I-130 a month ago. We already received our NOA 1 and waiting patiently, well trying to wait patiently for the approval. I read so many stories and their process times seem so tedious. It's great to hear that someone got through this process within 5 months. How did it work out so fast for you?

Congratulations!!! I agree that the process isn't tedious but we really tried to stay on top of everything and to be thorough with all of our documents! (We tried not to give them any reasons to request more info.) these forums are really helpful! Best of luck!! :)

The process could have actually take less time had we known that we could schedule our own interview smh.

Edited by Kwesi&efiya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.