kohijiro

Bringing the I-864 to the interview...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi guys,

Quick question that has been bothering me for quite a while - I've finally had an interview date setup, and the instructions mention bringing the I-864 form... What do they mean? Do they want me to bring the form we sent the NVC? They have the original, so why would they need the form again? 

Should I fill a new one out? Should it be the same one that was filed originally...? Could someone help out? :-)

Timeline

If you are bringing one then it should be a brand new I-864 with original signatures. I brought just that to my interview in Dublin last month as the one I sent to NVC didn't have the 2015 tax info on it and NVC told me to bring a fresh one with the 2015 info included. 

However, the embassy didn't even ask for it, they just wanted the 2015 tax return + W2 (or transcript). I even brought up the fact NVC told me to bring a fresh I-864 but the guy wasn't bothered. 

Despite all that, if I had to do it again I'd still bring the fresh I-864 because that's what the official instructions told me to do. Better that then being asked for it, not have it and have to come back a second time. 

Good luck at the interview. 

• 2 months later...
Timeline

kohijiro, did you end up bringing a new/ signed I-864 to the interview, and/or did they ask for it?

My husband's interview is in Dublin on May 8th and we're pulling all the papers together now. Just wondering if I should print and sign a new one and mail it to him?

I may do it just in case, I've learned the hard way that it's better safe than sorry to send more information than is needed!

Timeline

Hi there,

We did not bring a new one in the end! When we asked the immigration lawyer helping us, he stated that a new one was not required. Apparently, the law states that the I864 is valid until the case is adjudicated. That being said, it's always better to be safe than sorry - if you can easily produce one, do it. If not, I don't think it's needed UNLESS they asked specifically (they being NVC or Embassy) for a new one. :)

Good luck! You'll be done with this very soon!! It took about 5 working days for my passport to be ready and processed. :-)

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 2/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, kohijiro said:

Hi guys,

Quick question that has been bothering me for quite a while - I've finally had an interview date setup, and the instructions mention bringing the I-864 form... What do they mean? Do they want me to bring the form we sent the NVC? They have the original, so why would they need the form again? 

Should I fill a new one out? Should it be the same one that was filed originally...? Could someone help out? :-)

Any update

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.