YsabelEric

Minor K2 Venezuelan Passport

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

We are in the beginning process of the K1 visa request. I recently got an email response from the Caracas Embassy about some questions and one was about the K2's (under 18) passport I pasted their response. 

3. My fiance has been trying to get her daughter a passport for a long time. The daughter is 11 years old. Will she be able to travel with her mother if the K1 visa process is approved to the United States without a passport if she is unable to receive one by that time?  No, according to the Venezuelan laws, each person has his own passport irrelevant of the age. The daughter has to have a passport in order to be issued a visa.

I wanted to post this and see if anyone has experience with getting a passport in Venezuela. Her passport (the K2 daughter) has been in a holding pattern it seems for more than 3 years now. There are some unconventional (basically bribery) ways of getting a passport made in Venezuela but that is just wrong and expensive. So, just wondered if there was any info out there. 

Anything I have searched for on here has been either outdated or more country specific. 

Thanks everyone.

Edited by YsabelEric

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Right now in Venezuela is very hard to get a passport because of the political situation, this problem issuing passports has been happening since last year, but is not normal that the girl has been waiting for a passport for 3 years, I got mine 2 years ago and the process was fine and it only took a month to receive it, unless there's something wrong with the girl's birth certificate she should be able to receive at least a temporary passport that they can request in the identification office showing proof that's she is traveling soon and that she is going through the immigration process.

Our AOS Journey:

09/02/2016- Sent AOS Paperwork to Chicago lockbox (I-485, I-765, I-131)

09/05/2016- Paperwork received by Chicago lockbox

09/08/2016- NOA1 Texts Received

09/10/2016- NOA1s received in the mail

09/24/2016- Received biometrics letter in the mail for October 3, 2016

09/30/2016- Biometrics completed (walk-in, Tukwila)

10/01/2016- Notice of Request for Initial Evidence via text (I-485)

10/06/2016- Received RFIE in the Mail for I-864, Sent back response

10/12/2016- RFIE Received by USCIS

10/25-26/2016- Approval and Card Being Produced for EAD/AP

11/04/2016- Case Status changed to 'Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview'

11/07/2016- Case Status changed to ' Card was Mailed To Me'

11/10/2016- EAD/AP Card Received in Hand

03/16/2017- AOS Interview!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

yea, its a little confusing. For whatever reason her passport process stopped in the middle somewhere and supposedly now is in some kind of condition that is hard to get out of. She has spoken to someone who knows someone who knows someone, lol, that works at saime and tried to cancel the old passport request but it seems that had no effect. She does have another appointment in March so I'm hoping she will be able to get more information. As of right now its kind of a dead end. 

Edited by YsabelEric

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.