3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I filed to remove conditions in February of 2016. My husband and I (same sex) are currently in a long distance relationship because he is getting a medical degree in the Caribbean. I just received an RFE. It isn't exactly unexpected because of our situation, but I am very confused because it seems like the stuff they are asking for is stuff I have already sent them and that they acknowledged to have already received in the RFE letter. An interview would have made more sense but now I am really confused as to what else to send USCIS since what they are asking for is what I already sent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

List of acknowledged received documents by USCIS:

-Copy of Greencard. 

-Copy of marriage certificate.

-2 Affidavits attesting to our relationship. 

-Last Will and Testament.

-Health Care Proxy authorizing my spouse to act in my behalf. 

-Statements from joint Wells Fargo account from May 2014 (right after getting my conditional GC) through November 2015. 

-Joint Chase credit cards with 4 statements. 

-Sprint phone bills for both of our phones (unfortunately the phones are only under his name)

-Joint gym memberships. 

-A newspaper article The New York Times wrote about our long distance relationship habits. 

-Travel itineraries to see each other.

-Text messages and letters.

-Photos. 

-Joint AAA membership.

-Form from the DMV appointing my spouse as my power of attorney to sell my car. 

-A certificate from the Continental Kennel Club listing our pet with both of our names.

List of documents they are asking for:

-Documents regarding children: We don't have any.

-Joint lease or mortgage: I sent a letter with my original application explaining that my mother owns my apartment and that we do not have a lease or mortgage because of this.

-Joint checking and savings account statements: They have been sent. I can send more from 2016. 

-Joint credit cards: we only have one and we have sent it. We can send new statements. 

-Insurance policies that show other spouse as beneficiary: I did not have this but I got a new job and I have appointed my husband as beneficiary for my life insurance. 

-Joint utility bills: The only utility we pay is our phone and it's in his name. I can try to have him change that.

-A will, trust or power of attorney for health care or property: This has clearly been received by them.

-2 Affidavits from third parties: I have also included this.

Besides from sending them more bank statements, travel itineraries and my new life insurance policy, I am not really sure what I can add that I have not already sent to convince them that our marriage is real. I will include duplicates of stuff I already sent just in case. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, leciga said:

Hi Everyone!

I filed to remove conditions in February of 2016. My husband and I (same sex) are currently in a long distance relationship because he is getting a medical degree in the Caribbean. I just received an RFE. It isn't exactly unexpected because of our situation, but I am very confused because it seems like the stuff they are asking for is stuff I have already sent them and that they acknowledged to have already received in the RFE letter. An interview would have made more sense but now I am really confused as to what else to send USCIS since what they are asking for is what I already sent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

List of acknowledged received documents by USCIS:

-Copy of Greencard. 

-Copy of marriage certificate.

-2 Affidavits attesting to our relationship. 

-Last Will and Testament.

-Health Care Proxy authorizing my spouse to act in my behalf. 

-Statements from joint Wells Fargo account from May 2014 (right after getting my conditional GC) through November 2015. 

-Joint Chase credit cards with 4 statements. 

-Sprint phone bills for both of our phones (unfortunately the phones are only under his name)

-Joint gym memberships. 

-A newspaper article The New York Times wrote about our long distance relationship habits. 

-Travel itineraries to see each other.

-Text messages and letters.

-Photos. 

-Joint AAA membership.

-Form from the DMV appointing my spouse as my power of attorney to sell my car. 

-A certificate from the Continental Kennel Club listing our pet with both of our names.

List of documents they are asking for:

-Documents regarding children: We don't have any.

-Joint lease or mortgage: I sent a letter with my original application explaining that my mother owns my apartment and that we do not have a lease or mortgage because of this.

-Joint checking and savings account statements: They have been sent. I can send more from 2016. 

-Joint credit cards: we only have one and we have sent it. We can send new statements. 

-Insurance policies that show other spouse as beneficiary: I did not have this but I got a new job and I have appointed my husband as beneficiary for my life insurance. 

-Joint utility bills: The only utility we pay is our phone and it's in his name. I can try to have him change that.

-A will, trust or power of attorney for health care or property: This has clearly been received by them.

-2 Affidavits from third parties: I have also included this.

Besides from sending them more bank statements, travel itineraries and my new life insurance policy, I am not really sure what I can add that I have not already sent to convince them that our marriage is real. I will include duplicates of stuff I already sent just in case. 

Hi there - same sex couple too!  We got an RFE in October, and had originally sent very similar documents to you.

What we sent for the RFE were updated bank and credit card statements since the filing of the I-751.  We also included copies of auto insurance policies showing both of us since being married, even though we had sent some of those before.  Since we moved a few times, we included the copies of both DLs that have the same address (which you already did).  Having wills, powers of attorney, and any documents showing one spouse covering the other for benefits are all good.  We also included 401k statements showing the other spouse as 100% primary beneficiary.  Life insurance policy was also included.  Finally, we also stated in the letter that we remain in a committed relationship.  AAA and other memberships with both names help as well.

I wonder if the lack of any leases or house deeds with both spouses on them is creating some concern, especially given yours is overseas?  Did you include a letter from your mother confirming she owns the property and leases it rent-free to you two?  Maybe she can include a copy of her deed/ownership to prove this?

Just try to dig up anything that shows the two of you entangled together, and I really wish you the best of luck - we finally got notified we're approved for ROC, and it took just over 2 months to hear back.  Friends of ours in Hawaii got an RFE too, and they got approved with GC in hand just 6 weeks after!

K-1

I-129f sent: 5 Jul 2013

NOA1: 11 Jul 2013

NOA2: 10 Sep 2013

NVC: 18 Oct 2013

Consulate: 28 Oct 2013

Packet 3 Received: 30 Oct 2013

Packet 4 Received: 22 Nov 2013

Interview (Sydney): 10 Dec 2013

Admin Review, pending NZ Police Certif

K-1 Approved: 30 Dec 2013

K-1 Received: 2 Jan 2014

Entry (LAX): 20 Jan 2014

Marriage: 25 Jan 2014

AOS

Sent: 3 Mar 2014

NOA1: 10 Mar 2014

RFE (updated Tax Transcript for 2013): 24 Mar 2014 - received 27 Mar 2014, mailed same day

Updated to RFE Response Review: 2 Apr 2014

Biometrics: 1 Apr 2014

Testing and Interview Notice: 21 Apr 2014

Notice of Appointment Letter: 6 May 2014 - received 9 May 2014

EAD/AP Production: 20 May 2014

EAD/AP Received: 24 May 2014

Interview Date: 11 Jun 2014 - APPROVED!!!

GC received: 19 Jun 2014

ROC

Sent: 14 Mar 2016

NOA1: 16 Mar 2016

Biometrics: 8 Apr 2016

RFE 18 Oct 2016 - response received 19 Nov 2016

Card produced - 24 Jan 2017, Mailed 27 Jan 2017

Card received 1 Feb 2017!

N-400

Sent:  7 Mar 2017

NOA:  14 Mar 2017

Biometrics 10 Apr 2017

Interview:  17 Jan 2018

Oath:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Did you send every bank and credit card statement including transaction pages going back to your marriage date or did you just send a sample? 

We got an RFE and ended up sending an additional 150 to 200 pages of bank and credit card statements with transaction pages.  We got approved a few weeks after sending in the additional statements.

Good luck!

07/31/05 First met in Ft Lauderdale

06/26/13 DOMA overturned

07/16/13 Married in Rockville, Maryland

08/22/13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-765)

11/20/13 Day 90 AOS Interview completed - Approved!

09/01/15 Day 740 I-751 Mailed ROC packet to California Service Center

04/08/16 Day 960 I-751 RFE received - need to provide more evidence of financial commingling

05/03/16 Day 985 RFE response sent

06/07/16 Day 1020 I-751 approval notice received

06/16/16 Day 1029 10-year greencard received

11/16/16 Day 1182 Mailed N-400 citizenship application

08/21/17 Day 1460 Received alert that naturalization interview was scheduled

09/28/17 Day 1498 N-400 interview completed - Approved!

10/20/17 Day 1520 Oath ceremony finished - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.