TouchNGo

Does Age Matter?

10 posts in this topic

Age can be a factor. If those age differences are common in the culture, it's generally less of a factor. USCIS and the consulate will take into account all the information available to make the determination if the relationship is bona fide. It is your requirement to prove to them that it is (not theirs to prove it's fraudulent).

Being 24 years apart (more than your entire life on this planet) will likely trigger a flag. That said, people with similar age gaps have gone through the process fine.

:time:

What visa are you filing for? K-1 or CR-1/IR-1? Where are you in the proces? Filling in your timeline will help others in the future.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Depends on the consulate and country. My then-fiancé and I are 16 years apart, and I got a slightly more scrutinized during the interview because of it (I'm the younger one). We brought letters with us from both sets of parents to present at the interview, and frontloaded BUNCHES of proof (chat logs, pics, receipts, tickets etc.). So bring a lot of evidence and see if anyone can write a letter confirming yours relationship :) Best of luck!!

I am also, however, from a country where the American embassy is easier dealt with due to less fraudulency.

Edited by s + j

K-1:
06/08/2016: I-129F Sent

06/16/2016: Check cashed

08/23/2016: Approval

09/09/2016: At the Stockholm Embassy

09/28/2016: Embassy received completed medical

09/29/2016: Interview date, APPROVAL 

10/14/2016: Visa ISSUED

10/17/2016: Visa received

AOS
12/22/2016: I-485, I-131, I-765 Sent

01/10/2017: Check cashed

02/03/2017: Biometrics completed

04/17/2017: Your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

01/20/2018: I-485 Interview letter received

02/01/2018: I-485 Interview, APPROVAL 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, age is a factor.  It doesn't mean you automatically get denied, but when the age difference is extreme, and/ or does not fit societal norms in the beneficiary's county, it will raise a red flag, and they will ask extra questions and look at your bonafide evidence more closely.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As we like to say on VJ, age is just a number.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

are you are the male, 21 and from the DR and your 45 yr old wife is the USC??

generally, if it is not a cultural norm it will raise a red flag.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Who have yet to meet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Evidence of communication- phone bills, emails, FB chats etc.

Evidence of time spent together; as mentioned, the longer and the more often the better.

If your respective families support the relationship, evidence of them dong so, and meeting your fiance.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.