capyb172

Consular or Fiancee visa for boyfriend abroad

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

My boyfriend and I plan to get married. He has been in the US twice on J1 visas and left last summer, so he will have to stay in his home country until summer 2018. We are trying to figure out the best way for us to proceed for him to be able to come here as early as possible when that time is up. I don't know how to go about this. Any help would be very appreciated

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Filing will most likely take somewhere around a year. By then it is beginning of 2018. Push out the interview until April 2018 and you will have a visa just around the time the 2 years are up.

If you think you need to move faster, you can look into the 2 year rule waiver.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mark88 said:

Filing will most likely take somewhere around a year. By then it is beginning of 2018. Push out the interview until April 2018 and you will have a visa just around the time the 2 years are up.

If you think you need to move faster, you can look into the 2 year rule waiver.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

Thank you. In this scenario do you think it is best for us to do consular processing or fiance visa? Would it be best for us to get married soon here in US and then proceed with paper work?? Thank you very much

Timeline

Since you did not provide details in which country you will be filing, I can not tell you if DCF is even available there.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mark88 said:

Since you did not provide details in which country you will be filing, I can not tell you if DCF is even available there.

I am a female US citizen and he will be coming from Brazil, sorry

Filed: Country:
Timeline

He needs to check whether his J visa was stamped "2 year residency requirement, section 212(e)" or something to that effect. Not all J visas have the 2 year residency requirement - depends on whether Brazil has placed whatever subject he was studying on their skills list. 

If he does have the residency requirement, you can still file your petition now and it "should" be refused when it gets to the consulate stage. At that point he can seek a waiver or just wait out the 2 years. Nothing wrong with seeking another tourist visa while he's waiting - tourist visa refusal rates for Brazil are very low, though they have been rising lately. 

Timeline

Yes, he is subject to section 212(e) and the chances of getting a waiver are really slim (unless he pays back his entire scholarship to the Brazilian government, who was sponsoring him, which is not an option)

51 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

DCF is not available in Brazil.

Can you elaborate on what this means? Do you mean we would have to go through a longer route (through USCIS) instead of dealing directly with the consulate?

Timeline

You always go through USCIS and the consulate. But there are some consulates that have an USCIS office. There you can do Direct Consular Filing (DCF).

Timeline

Since your fiancé is not a USC, it will be a long process. If you would get married and filed today, the process would take about 2 years to complete.

If you marry today and file as a LPR she can "upgrade" a petition once she is a USC. This will shorten the process, but not too much in your case.

Your third option of DCF in Russia is what the process concerns the fastest, but will only work if your fiancé is already a US citizen. So 14 months until she becomes a USC + 6 months for DCF + time between, you are looking at 2 years here again, too.

I understand with a child on the way, it will be tough, but there are unfortunately no fast options for you. USCIS does not reconize the urgency of a pregnancy. Especially in your case there is no disadvantage for USCIS, since the child will be with the LPR/USC mother (in the US).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mark88 said:

Since your fiancé is not a USC, it will be a long process. If you would get married and filed today, the process would take about 2 years to complete.

If you marry today and file as a LPR she can "upgrade" a petition once she is a USC. This will shorten the process, but not too much in your case.

Your third option of DCF in Russia is what the process concerns the fastest, but will only work if your fiancé is already a US citizen. So 14 months until she becomes a USC + 6 months for DCF + time between, you are looking at 2 years here again, too.

I understand with a child on the way, it will be tough, but there are unfortunately no fast options for you. USCIS does not reconize the urgency of a pregnancy. Especially in your case there is no disadvantage for USCIS, since the child will be with the LPR/USC mother (in the US).

(What? Is this response meant for a different post?)

Timeline

I believe Mark88 is replying to another person... For my situation, should I expect it will take around 8-12 months from filing a petition til my spouse receiving a greencard through consular processing?

Yes, about a year (or 8 to 12 months as you stated) from filing to your husband receiving the VISA. He will not receive the actual green card until after he enters the US. 

And as already mention there is no direct counselor filing for Brazil unfortunately.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
3 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Yes, about a year (or 8 to 12 months as you stated) from filing to your husband receiving the VISA. He will not receive the actual green card until after he enters the US. 

And as already mention there is no direct counselor filing for Brazil unfortunately.

Thanks! What are the disadvantages of going through regular consular processing vs. direct consular filing?

EDIT: I think I figured it out by myself. DCF requires me to be living in the same country as my spouse. Luckily this isn't my case as I'm currently living in the US, so consular processing is what I should use anyway.

Edited by capyb172

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.