MHK1984

Canadian Girlfriend and Kid to USA

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Fellow VJers,

I have recently received my green card (originally from Canada and I am a Canadian Citizen) and moved to NY, USA because of work.

My GF and 9 month old boy are still in Canada and I am supporting them. She is not working and taking care of him F/T as there are some medical complications. They visit me regularly, however, always goes back to Canada. It's getting very hard to support them and live away from them.

I am hoping next time she visits, I can get married to her and have her stay here with me. I would also put them under my health/dental/etc insurance so that they are covered and we all are together.

Is this possible? legal? What are some next steps that I need to take after getting married (we are going to goto City Hall and do it)? What do I need to do next to make them permanent residents/or legal immigrants such that they are covered under my insurance/ and I have them under me as my dependents.

I would much appreciate your help/suggestions and/or directions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

M

Not possible.

First of all it's fraud to enter the country with a non immigrant visa with the intention to stay.

As a green card holder, you'd have to apply for them and wait whatever time it is for a visa to be available for them (around two years for spouses and I'm not sure how long for children). There's no option that is immediate. Also, there's no petition for a girlfriend. Only fiancés of us citizens or spouses of both us citizens and green card holders.

Hello p-ana,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I was talking to couple of legal counselors and they had mentioned since its your intention and not her's - she is not entering with intention of staying. But once she is here, I can ask her to marry me and get her status adjusted.

Or would you suggest they keep on going back and forth (like they have been in the past)?

Thanks once again for your insight.

Regards,

M

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello p-ana,

I was talking to couple of legal counselors and they had mentioned since its your intention and not her's - she is not entering with intention of staying. But once she is here, I can ask her to marry me and get her status adjusted. Extremely funny. She will be completely unaware of your plan? She will have no idea that she will be part of your plan. This is so laughable becauses it absurd that she will not know. She will be completely unaware that you intend for her to immigrate. You will be playing an extremely stupid game.

Or would you suggest they keep on going back and forth (like they have been in the past)?

Regards,

M

There is no basis for her to adjust status after you marry her. A visa number is not immediately available to the spouse of an green card holder. The current wait is 2 years. Your wife would have NO WAY to maintain her non-immigrant status in the US during the entire 2 years. Stop talking to these "legal counselors" or ask them for clarification since you mistaken about her eligibility to adjust status based on marriage to an LPR. After marriage, your wife will have to wait 2 years in Canada for an immigration visa. She can continue to visit you.

Edited by aaron2020

Hello p-ana,

I was talking to couple of legal counselors and they had mentioned since its your intention and not her's - she is not entering with intention of staying. But once she is here, I can ask her to marry me and get her status adjusted.

Regards,

M

As already answered above:

1- it's fraud to enter the country on a non immigrant visa with the intention to stay and adjust. Whatever way you wish to circumvent that, it's still fraud and you shouldn't even think about that.

2- you only have a green card, her visa availability takes around 2 years, so she would t be able to adjust anyway.

You have to get married first, then certainly can apply for the i130 and go from there. As said, it will take around 2 years for her, she can always visit if she complies with the regulations.

Thank you p-ana and aaron for your quick turn around and suggestions.

So from what I can understand and think is legal will be the following:

1- She visits me with my son and we get married

2- She returns back to Canada (do you know if there is a certain time limit before she has to return to Canada?)

3- I apply for I-130

4- She visits and stays with me and then go back to Canada (lawfully until the Visa is granted - approx 2 years)

5- We all can settle together once the her Visa becomes available

Another question that I have is, would my son be able to receive "following-to-join" benefits? And get his status changed to legal immigrant. This is based on my reading on: http://www.visajourney.com/content/child

"If you had children before you became a permanent resident and you did not immigrate as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, your unmarried, minor children may be eligible to receive following-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate USCIS Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) for your children, and your children will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available."

Thank you for your input thus far :)

Regards,

M

Hello p-ana,

Regards,

M

Are you sure?

Mila K, presumably your fiance, has previously indicated she plans to live in the US.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

"I was talking to couple of legal counselors and they had mentioned since its your intention and not her's - she is not entering with intention of staying. But once she is here, I can ask her to marry me and get her status adjusted. Extremely funny. She will be completely unaware of your plan? She will have no idea that she will be part of your plan. This is so laughable becauses it absurd that she will not know. She will be completely unaware that you intend for her to immigrate. You will be playing an extremely stupid game."

She is your girlfriend and you did not father the child. You got legal counsel. Continue to pursue legal counsel because there IS case law that affirms what your legal counsel has said to you no matter what people say here. Just get an attorney for your situation that understands case law for your situation as described. There are very important and specific steps must be done under attorney guidance.

Edited by muravez

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

"I was talking to couple of legal counselors and they had mentioned since its your intention and not her's - she is not entering with intention of staying. But once she is here, I can ask her to marry me and get her status adjusted. Extremely funny. She will be completely unaware of your plan? She will have no idea that she will be part of your plan. This is so laughable becauses it absurd that she will not know. She will be completely unaware that you intend for her to immigrate. You will be playing an extremely stupid game."

She is your girlfriend and you did not father the child. You got legal counsel. Continue to pursue legal counsel because there IS case law that affirms what your legal counsel has said to you no matter what people say here. Just get an attorney for your situation that understands case law for your situation as described. There are very important and specific steps must be done under attorney guidance.

Please show these case law.

Doing immigration the right way with a 2 years wait and the ability to visit versus paying tons of money to get "legal counsel." Which is the smarter move?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.