6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My Father-in-law (USC) will be a joint sponsor for me (British) as my wife's (USC) income doesn't count as we currently don't live in the US. Just looking to clarify my FiL's household members. He files his taxes jointly with his wife, but we are only going to use his income as it's above 125% poverty line and saves additional paperwork. So household size would be 3?

Me (Beneficiary)

FiL (Joint Sponsor)

MiL (Joint Sponsor's wife)

Part 6 Q13 - My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years was:

Does my FiL put his individual income or whats on line 22 of his tax returns (total income of FiL and MiL)?

We are providing the FiL's Tax transcripts and W2's from past 3 years.

Also, on my wife's I-864, would she put employed or unemployed (her income will show $0). She works at an international school, but her income doesn't count as it won't continue when we move to the US.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

Yes - 3 is the household size.

I am in the same situation. My income is foreign meaning that I had to enter $0 and un-employed, as I haven't made enough to pay US taxes the last 2 years.

My grandfather is our joint sponsor and his income alone is above the 125%. But since he and my grandmother file jointly, I had them both send in documentation. My grandfather filled out form 1-864 and grandmother I-864a (Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member). I received conflicting information regarding whether or not this was necessary (since grandfather alone makes enough $), but in the end I chose to have my grandmother do the I-864a and send in her tax docs as well. I figured "better safe than sorry". I didn't want to get an RFE if her information was needed since they file taxes jointly.

FiL should put his individual income on form I-864. If you have MiL do form I-864a she puts her individual income.

Hope this helps :)

US Citizen Filing for Spouse - Married since January 2009, 2 Children

IR1 Visa - US Citizen living abroad, not DCF, Re-establishing Domicile, Joint Sponsor

12.April.2016 Filed I-130

22.June.2016 NOA1 (they entered my address incorrectly, therefore was not delivered until JULY)

07.Sept.2016 I-130 approved

07.Oct.2017 NVC welcome letter received

10.Nov.2016 Complete DS-261

10.Nov.2016 Payed AOS/IV Bill

19.Nov.2016 Complete DS-260

26.Nov.2016 Mailed AOS/IV Packet to NVC

29.Nov.2016 AOS/IV Packet Delivered to NVC

01. Dec.2016 Scan Date
13.Jan.2017 Checklist for  I-864 pages 10-12 BLANK FORM PAGES
02.Feb.2017 2nd Scan Date

14.April.2017 Case Complete (CC at exactly 10 weeks)

04.May.2017 Interview date scheduled/received email from NVC

10.May.2017 Medical
01.June.2017 Interview - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks for the response!!! You're right, a lot of info is conflicting.

I'm starting to think the way you did it might be safer, even though, like you, my FiL makes enough $$ to joint sponsor me alone.

I wonder if it's an option to not include the MiL on the household members part (So just my FiL and I = [2] members), which would then mean my MiL's wouldn't be involved at all.

Timeline

Thanks for the response!!! You're right, a lot of info is conflicting.

I'm starting to think the way you did it might be safer, even though, like you, my FiL makes enough $$ to joint sponsor me alone.

I wonder if it's an option to not include the MiL on the household members part (So just my FiL and I = [2] members), which would then mean my MiL's wouldn't be involved at all.

You have to include your MiL in household size because she is part of his household. Your in-laws personal household size is two (FiL, MiL)- plus the immigrant (you) - means that the household size is three. If your in-laws live together and are married and file taxes jointly there is no way to exclude her from household size.

Edited by laulholley

IR1 Visa - US Citizen living abroad, not DCF, Re-establishing Domicile, Joint Sponsor

22.June.2016 NOA1 (they entered my address incorrectly, therefore was not delivered until JULY)

01. Dec.2016 Scan Date

10.May.2017 Medical

Timeline

Ah, thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I'll ask the MiL to fill out the I 864A and provide her tax transcripts then.

I assume my FiL would still stay as the Only Joint sponsor, right? It wouldn't need to change to having a 1st and 2nd of 2 joint sponsors.

Thanks for your help, laulholley!!!

Timeline

Ah, thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I'll ask the MiL to fill out the I 864A and provide her tax transcripts then.

I assume my FiL would still stay as the Only Joint sponsor, right? It wouldn't need to change to having a 1st and 2nd of 2 joint sponsors.

Thanks for your help, laulholley!!!

Yes, your FiL would be the only Joint Sponsor.

Be careful with the I-864a, it has a section for the household member (your MiL) to fill out and sign and a section for the sponsor (your Fil) to fill out and sign. I have seen other people on this site saying they did it incorrectly.

Good luck with your paperwork!

01. Dec.2016 Scan Date

10.May.2017 Medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.