rubmig42

Documents you included along with N-400 application?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you applied for citizenship under the '3 year through marriage' option what did you send in with your application?

It seems from reading past posts most people have sent in more that is requested on the application.

As a result of reading these posts this is what I am planning to send…..am I missing anything or sending too much?

• N-400 application
  • check for $680 made out to U.S Department of Homeland Security
  • copy of both sides of permanent resident card
  • copy of marriage cert
  • copy of my kids' birth certs
  • mortgage bill(that has both mine and my husband's name on it)
  • copy of tax return transcripts for past 3 years

Also, for the attached documents, did you write your A-number on each page?

Appreciate any feedback!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am wondering the same thing! I've always followed the "drown them in documents" approach with previous immigration rounds, but following the instructions for N-400, it seems that not very much is really required. From the instructions, it seems that I should be able to send:

• N-400 application (updated version 9/29/16)
  • check
  • copy of permanent resident card for applicant
  • copy of passport for citizen spouse
  • copy of marriage certificate
  • copy of tax transcripts for 2013, 2014, and 2015
  • documentation of citizen spouse's previous marriage having ended
  • continuation sheet for an item in section 12 marked "yes" (having had military training: also reported in similar question on green card application, with same continuation sheet)

(Based on:

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or
b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or
c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

It seems as though if we have 3 years of joint tax transcripts, we don't need (a) or (b). (a) is only for people who don't have suitable certified copies/transcripts. I don't get the sense that they want piles of other evidence, and at any rate, they would presumably have access to all of the documentation we've submitted for ROC, the green card, and K-1, and all of that has been submitted before and then some.)

I'm also including:

• Cover letter
  • No photos, per the new guideline re: applicants living in the U.S.

But it seems like a very small pile of documents: it's kind of freaking me out!

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

There are lots of well-meaning folks in these forums who advocate for sending in "pounds" of documents. I have always thought this is overkill. Send in what the form asks for. We have done this for every step of the process thus far and have never had so much as an RFE. At this point I would think the applicants are pretty well vetted.

IR5 TIMELINE (Petition for my mom)

8/4/2017: Priority date; Potomac Service Center

2/7/2018: Date of NOA2 (approved)

NVC PROCESSING

2/20/2018: documents received by NVC

3/29/2018: case number was assigned

4/2/2018: welcome letter received thru email

4/3/2018: DS261 form (choice of agent & address) was submitted

4/4/2018: phoned NVC to verify choice of agent and address, paid AOS fee

4/6/2018: IV fee option became clickable and was able to submit payment

4/12/2018: DS260 form became available online

5/4/2018: sent the AOS & IV packages ( packages put in a 2 separate small envelopes and together placed it in one big envelope)

5/17/2018: Case complete

5/24/2018: received an email from NVC stating that the applicant is in the queue awaiting an interview appointment

5/29-30/2018: Passed the advanced medical at SLEC

5/31/2018: received P4 interview letter

6/21/2018: received an email from manila embassy that they received and reviewed my mom’s file, also indicated the documents required to bring to her interview

7/10/2018: Date of Interview; passed the interview but received 221g, need to submit additional NBI clearance with aka per marriage certificate.

applied for NBI clearance at NBI  main ( taft ave.)

registered for visa delivery address by calling (+703)5202235 EST, i chose MOA 2go for pick up 

7/13/2018: release of NBI clearance and sent to 2go robinsons manila

7/16-17/2018: AP status ( checked thru CEAC)

7/18/2018: at NVC

7/19/2018: AP

7/20/2018: Issued

7/24/2018: visa delivered to MOA 2go (didn’t wait for their text, i called them at +6329011401 instead)

7/25/2018: Visa on hand

7/27/2018: CFO seminar

7/30/2018: pay green card fee

8/7/2018: POE at DFW

8/24/2018: “card is being produced” status

9/1/2018: “card was mailed to me”  status

9/5/2018: GC received

I sent similar to what has been stated, tax info, proof of address (Joint mortgage) copy of passport, cover letter, check payment, N-400, copy of Green Card (Front & back) any joint financial belongings, copies of divorces, copies of birth certificates and copy of marriage licence. I only wrote my Alien # on the cover letter. My was accepted in August. You should be OK with the items you have written. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. For those who wrote cover letters, what did you say?

Also, did u staple all extra evidence together?

Just google "N400 cover letter" bunch of sample docs comes up. Mine looked similar to this one http://gingandcraig.weebly.com/uploads/5/0/6/4/506438/1772376.jpg?608

I used paper clips, they will eventually organize everything in a binder. Don't worry about stapling.

Filed: Timeline

If I applied for citizenship with the 5 year rule, should i have to include the 5 year tax returns or 3 year tax returns. Actually, the application does not even mention that the tax returns must be enclosed. My understanding is it may be required at the time of interview, am I correct ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.