Madisonanina

Planning Wedding

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am from Canada and plan on marrying my dual citizen bf in the next few years. We both currently live in Canada, but want to get married and live in the states. My main concern with the K1 visa and having it is how I'll be able to plan our wedding. I heard that if I enter the states as a visitor with my Canadian priveledge it can be held against me getting my K1 because it looks like I entered the states under false pretenses. But if I have my K1 before going to the states I will only have 90 days to plan the wedding and get married. My question is, how does one plan a wedding if you can't be in the states? Would I make trips to the US to do cake tastings, looking at venues and such and THEN apply for a K1 once most planning has been done? If so, when I am engaged and want to have the wedding a year from then, when should I start the application process?? I really appreciate your help!

Timeline

Easy. never lout any money down until visa is in hand. if you don't want to go that route, loom for places with flexibility on dates and changing things.

immigration isn't about what we want, it's about them and their policies. you should be able to visit easy enough during the process with adequate ties

Get married in a courthouse and later on you can have whatever ceremony you want. This is a non-issue.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Timeline

So basically I can't have the "dream wedding" is what you're saying? What about hiring a wedding planner in the states to do it all for me and communicate with me over skype?

Timeline

So basically I can't have the "dream wedding" is what you're saying? What about hiring a wedding planner in the states to do it all for me and communicate with me over skype?

Sure you can. there's no rule that says you can't marry first then plan for your wedding after. aand sure hire a planner. but a planner can't necessarily change things if your visa is somehow delayed.

Timeline

I'm starting to get it now haha. Well once you get your K1 visa how soon are you required to step foot in the states and start the 90 days?

Thank you so much for all your help this far!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't think there's many people that apply for K1 visa that have a big wedding like that for that exact reason. Most of what I've seen on VJ, people that want big weddings do the spouse visa not the fiancée visa.

With that being said my husband and I did the K1 visa and we had a wedding. Granted it was only close family and friends about 50 to 60 people. it was in my brothers backyard. we cooked the American food ourselves, catered the Jamaican food that we ordered and picked up from a restaurant. The cake testing we did within two weeks after he arrived that's plenty of time for cake. I found an amazing florist and we worked mostly online and telephone calls. I never even went to their shop. they delivered the flowers the day of the wedding and they were absolutely beautiful, exactly what I wanted. Party rentals like chairs tablecloth linens and China only take a couple weeks. Decorations I ordered online through Amazion. I bought my dress before he arrived in the USA, his suit didn't take any time at all. It's just not knowing the date to book venues and caterers. That's why we kept that part simple. It takes some creativity and again ours was small. We were fortunate that his mother and uncle's family were there.

Edited by LionessDeon

I'm starting to get it now haha. Well once you get your K1 visa how soon are you required to step foot in the states and start the 90 days?

Usually within 6 months of your medical.

Timeline

You usually have 6 months from the date of your medical exam. However, they gave my husband (fiancé at the time) 6 months from his interview date to enter USA and use the K1 visa

Yeah it's 6 months from the date of the medical, and then you have 90 days from entry to marry, so over all, 9 months to plan.

You can plan, but if you want to have a physical hand in it, it won't happen.

We still married in a church, with family and friends, had a reception dinner, and what not. We never wanted a big wedding. I still had my nice expensive pretty dress, and it was more of a wedding than a lot of people do here because they're afraid they won't have much time.

Most people WON'T wait when they get their visa, they come in ASAP because they miss their fiance. That's why a lot of people courthouse wedding it. If you want that big awesome wedding, you can always wait to enter until a day or two before your visa expires, then have 90 more days to marry and marry towards the end of the 90th day.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

I agree. I think going through this immigration journey tends to alter your "dreams" a bit. I just wanted to end the separation!

Good luck OP! I hope it all works out!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you want a dream wedding, and are not planning to move to the U.S for 'years' as your post says why not plan your dream wedding, do all the fun things associated with it and hen apply for a Cr-1 spousal visa?

Marrying, having the dream wedding, etc is all possible with the CR-1 spousal visa.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I am from Canada and plan on marrying my dual citizen bf in the next few years. We both currently live in Canada, but want to get married and live in the states. My main concern with the K1 visa and having it is how I'll be able to plan our wedding. I heard that if I enter the states as a visitor with my Canadian priveledge it can be held against me getting my K1 because it looks like I entered the states under false pretenses. But if I have my K1 before going to the states I will only have 90 days to plan the wedding and get married. My question is, how does one plan a wedding if you can't be in the states? Would I make trips to the US to do cake tastings, looking at venues and such and THEN apply for a K1 once most planning has been done? If so, when I am engaged and want to have the wedding a year from then, when should I start the application process?? I really appreciate your help!

How does one plan a wedding, while doing a K1? Well the USCIS says you shouldn't...in fact I'd always recommend you shouldn't. Get your K1, get married in a courthouse, and then plan out your ceremony together the way you want it and have a big bash later. But, I have to tell you, I would be very much lying if I said it was impossible to plan a wedding while waiting for a K1... because me and my husband absolutely did it and it worked and it was lovely. Of course, it certainly is risky with the timing and many numerous unknown variables. You're going to need a good support system, a USC fiancé that you trust to make the majority of the big decisions, including any snap decisions that comes up (they need to be focused and wanting to be involved). We skyped, phoned, and took photographs every step of the way. Most of it was all DIY. In the end it was a wedding just the way we wanted it, no do-overs, with both our families attending.

I don't really think a wedding planner would have made it easier. It was not more difficult to plan then any other wedding I suppose, but logistics wise and stress wise, it's certainly tough. You could plan some stuff before filing of course, but ultimately there's going to be heavy decisions the USC is going to have to make, and arrange. There will also be tons of unknowns that could mess up plans.

Sure you can. If you're a bit crazy like us. But hey we made it work, and if you're up for a challenge, you can too with or without a wedding planner.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.