getchagoodd

K-1 or Tourist visa?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello.

I'm a US Citizen and have been living in Argentina (my home country) for the past 9 years. I've been in a relationship for the last 2 years. A couple of weeks ago my family (also citizens) and I decided to move back to the US. My father will be leaving next weekend; the rest of us, in a couple of months. My boyfriend is NOT a US Citizen and has never been abroad.

At first we considered the possibility of him entering the US on a tourist visa a couple of months before me and after my arrival waiting another month or so and then getting married and filing for his adjustment of status. Now I'm having second thoughts because we will have to 'pretend' that we met in the US and decided to get married there so that he wouldn't be under visa fraud, and I'm scared things will go wrong because he entered on a tourist visa, overstayed it and got married about 3 months later.

On the other hand, we considered filing for a K-1 visa but first, we don't know if we can file it if we are both living abroad (I already mailed the US Embassy regarding this, I'm waiting for their answer), specially because of the affidavit of support situation since we don't have anything in the US. My father will be moving back there this weekend but is going to stay at a friend's house until he finds a job so he doesn't actually have anything to be my cosponsor (plus my mom was a resident but her green card expired so he's filing for a inmigrant visa for her once he gets there so he'll be her sponsor and I don't know if he can also be mine).

Basically I don't know which decision would be best. We don't want to spend that much time apart but I'm also scared if he enters on a tourist visa and something goes wrong there's not gonna be a way for him to re-enter the US later.

Thanks!

He can't enter with a non immigrant visa with intent to stay and adjust, that is fraud.

You can either go for the k1 (fiancé to get married inside the USA) or the cr1 (spousal visa). Both will require sponsorship so you'd need to find a co sponsor/ joint sponsor since you're not established here.

Any option you choose, just know that this isn't a fast process and you'll need a lot of patience. Everyone here had to deal with being away from their loved ones and it isn't the end of the world

Get to reading, educate yourself on your options, ponder everything and go for it.

Best of luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well the K-1 would be your best option. As you stated, entering on a tourist visa with your intent, is fraud, also you would still need to file the I-864 form for support during the AOS stage, which if for the I-134 form youre concerned about, wouldn't work either.

For the I-134 affidavit of support, you need to make 100% of the poverty line. For the AOS I-864 you need to make 125%.

Now, while you are concerned about the I-134 for the K-1, that form and proof of employment and financial documentation does not need to be presented until the interview phase(maybe 5-7 months). So by then could you and your family establish income to be able to sponsor/co-sponsor your fiance? Also, if using a co-sponsor, it is not limited to family, it can be any other USC (friends, future co-workers, ect..)

Make sure familiarize yourself also with all the guides here as they will help you alot.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does he have a tourist visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Well the K-1 would be your best option. As you stated, entering on a tourist visa with your intent, is fraud, also you would still need to file the I-864 form for support during the AOS stage, which if for the I-134 form youre concerned about, wouldn't work either.

For the I-134 affidavit of support, you need to make 100% of the poverty line. For the AOS I-864 you need to make 125%.

Now, while you are concerned about the I-134 for the K-1, that form and proof of employment and financial documentation does not need to be presented until the interview phase(maybe 5-7 months). So by then could you and your family establish income to be able to sponsor/co-sponsor your fiance? Also, if using a co-sponsor, it is not limited to family, it can be any other USC (friends, future co-workers, ect..)

Make sure familiarize yourself also with all the guides here as they will help you alot.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I could file for the visa and leave only when the last steps (the interview and such) are left so I can start working and establishing and income.

No. He doesn't and never had one.

Highly unlikely he would get one anyway, making idea one impossible.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Why wouldn't he get one? If he meets the criteria for a tourist visa (plus we're not married, so he could say he's single)...

If he lies on his application saying he doesn't know anyone here, he's single, etc, it can all come up when and if you decide to file an immigrant petition or fiancé petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Why wouldn't he get one? If he meets the criteria for a tourist visa (plus we're not married, so he could say he's single)...

If he says he is single, he would be lying. That could be worse.

He doesn't have to volunteer information at the interview, but he can't lie if directly asked.

Why not get married in Argentina and do a spousal visa? That way he can work as soon as he sets foot in the US? Either way, you will have to be apart at one point or another.

Edited by Celeste & C

If he says he is single, he would be lying. That could be worse.

He doesn't have to volunteer information at the interview, but he can't lie if directly asked.

Why not get married in Argentina and do a spousal visa? That way he can work as soon as he sets foot in the US? Either way, you will have to be apart at one point or another.

That will be "when directly asked". They will ask who he's going to visit. Then ask about the nature of their relationship. 100 out of 100 times.

OP: I know it's a rough situation, and one that most of us here have been faced with. You'd very likely be wasting your time and money going for a tourist visa and even if he got it (which is unlikely with these circumstances), what you've proposed is fraud. Plus, just logically-- he wouldn't be able to work, and he'd be just an extra person to house and feed while you and your dad get set up in the US. I've got a stable, relatively high paying job and the 6 months my husband couldn't work were a financial disaster.

Could you do what your father is doing? Move back ahead to establish domicile so that you can petition for your boyfriend? If they can handle separation for a few months, you probably can do.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~OP has received appropriate legal responses, this thread is now closed to further discussion~

~This topic is not to be restarted or referred to in any other subsequent posting~

From the VJ Terms of Service (TOS):

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Ref: http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

We all agreed to abide by the TOS when we joined the forum.

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.