erica2012

Request for Evidence: Proof of Having Met in Person: Help!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello all,

My fiance and I met in Ecuador, while I was living there for 2 years. We just met in a bar and continued to date, ultimately moving in together before I moved back to the U.S. I sent in copies of the visas and passport stamps, a letter detailing our relationship, and photos of us together and with friends and his family.

I received a Request for Evidence, which says:

"You must establish that you have met in person and/or have been in each other's physical presence at any time during the two years immediately preceding the filing of this petition. The photos you have submitted do not establish you have met within the two year requirement. Examples of evidence are:

A written statement stating that you have met in person and containing details of the date and circumstance of meeting.
Copies of airline tickets.
Copies of passport pages.
Photographs of the two of you together."

I already sent 3 of the 4 options! I sent in a written statement, photos, and copies of my passport (along with evidence of us talking, etc.)

I find this hysterically cruel because my fiance and I have done nothing BUT be together in person. This is the first time I have been away from him. We leaved together for crying out loud! What evidence should I send in so the second time they see it, it will be approved? I'm so concerned as I already sent in what they are asking for; I want to make sure it is sufficient the second time. Help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sounds like some of your evidence got misplaced and seperated from original applicaiton

just send it in again and be sure to add the case number to each and every page on upper right hand corner

most also say to put both names and DOB;s

In this case they are not being cruel just need the evidence as they have so many cases things do get seperated

so sorry

but send it in

you will be fine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Send in all the same stuff again and add more. Do you have any proof that you lived together like a joint lease or bills? Receipts? Bank statements or credit card statements showing you were in Equador?

Whats the time range that you were in Ecuador and living together?

Edited by Wooderz

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Unfortunately, I don't have a lease or anything like that from any of my time in Ecuador. Thanks for the idea of the bank statement!

I'll resend everything and add more; thanks for the responses. I panicked a bit because I thought of all things, this was not the area lacking in my application!

We began dating in February 2015, and I moved back to the U.S. July of 2016!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You're obviously within the 2 year requirement but it does seem like possibly they lost some of your evidence. I'd highlight your visa and passport stamps again and add some financial information showing you were in Equador. Maybe your fiance can dig up some receipts of places you went together?

They consider photos as secondary evidence so if they lost the rest it makes sense that they would send an RFE.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Unfortunately it's not too uncommon for people to be asked for things they've already sent.

My suggestion is to start a new document on word and do a detailed explanation there adding the proof you have when applicable.

Example:

I, xxx xxx, us citizen, moved to Ecuador in xxx, 20xx

Picture of the stamp in your passport showing you entered the country

Xxxx xxx, foreign fiancé, and I, xxxx xxxx, us citizen, met in a bar on xxxx, 20xxx at xxxx, Ecuador

Started a relationship in xx, 20xx

And so on. Put a description in everything you include, naming whoever is in the pictures, their citizenship, city and country where you were, etc. include bank statements, letters, whatever you have. Sometimes it seems they need everything in their faces so they can understand.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but you'll do great in your response and get an approval in no time

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear about this...how frustrating! I know you are probably missing being with him, too. This is the kind of stuff I dread hearing when we send in our packet. Hang in there, sounds like you got some great advice above.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That would be very frustrating indeed. Try sending exactly what they asked for including what you already sent and maybe few more pictures.

This time though maybe you should include a cover page with specific contents. It does seem like your documents maybe was misplaced or not reviewed throughly enough.

I understand that you were living together from what you are saying so maybe add proof of that for example lease agreement, proof of address.. etc

Good luck :)

iuV9m4.png

ROC journey!

2018-10-09   Filed ROC 1-751

2018-10-17   E-notification - RECEIVED

2018-11-13   NOA1- RECEIVED

2019-06-22   Biometrics letter - RECEIVED

2019-07-01   Biometrics appointment

2019-08-02   RFE

2019-08-23   RFE response was received

2019-09-04   Status changed to Card Being Produced!

Last signature update: 2019-09-05.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

We sent in receipts, pictures with family members and us (and just us), passport stamps and tickets, and our love story. It's probably important to send in receipts etc showing you've both made a purchase at the same time in the same place.

K-1:
06/08/2016: I-129F Sent

06/16/2016: Check cashed

08/23/2016: Approval

09/09/2016: At the Stockholm Embassy

09/28/2016: Embassy received completed medical

09/29/2016: Interview date, APPROVAL 

10/14/2016: Visa ISSUED

10/17/2016: Visa received

AOS
12/22/2016: I-485, I-131, I-765 Sent

01/10/2017: Check cashed

02/03/2017: Biometrics completed

04/17/2017: Your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

01/20/2018: I-485 Interview letter received

02/01/2018: I-485 Interview, APPROVAL 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

So sorry to hear of your troubles. It looks like you have a lot of good ideas from others in this thread!

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.