Manarcutie

How long does AP take and why did they put me there? (merged threads)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband is 21 years old. He is Egyptian and we married 1 year ago. I am 19 years old and i am a US citizen. We applied for CR1 visa on January 21 2016 and just yesterday, after 9 months of waiting was his interview in the US embassy in cairo egypt on October 25th 2016. My husband supported all the documents needed and answered the questions honestly and correct. Even the consular officer who interviewed us said all documents look good and nothing is wrong or missing in our case. Then he gave us a paper that said administration processing. My husband and i got worried asking him why he gave it to us if everything was alright.and the man said some cases need AP and ur case seems to be one of them. That is all he said. And he gave my husband back his passport saying to wait for an email from the US embassy when they are done. So i asked how long will it take to receive this email or notification. And the man said it depends, and every case is different. It could be up to 2 months or more. So we left the embassy very disappointed and confused and worried. I went on google and vosa journey to see similar stories and the outcome, and ive read people say it took 2 weeks only and they got accept or 3 days only. And some say 3 months or even a year and more of waiting :( :( im confused and worried because the man gave my husband back his passport. Its like he will take a long time or something. Im currently in egypt right now and im so homesick to go back to the USA. But not without him :( does anyone have any idea or similar story or any advice at all. Please help me.

Timeline

My husband is 21 years old. He is Egyptian and we married 1 year ago. I am 19 years old and i am a US citizen. We applied for CR1 visa on January 21 2016 and just yesterday, after 9 months of waiting was his interview in the US embassy in cairo egypt on October 25th 2016. My husband supported all the documents needed and answered the questions honestly and correct. Even the consular officer who interviewed us said all documents look good and nothing is wrong or missing in our case. Then he gave us a paper that said administration processing. My husband and i got worried asking him why he gave it to us if everything was alright.and the man said some cases need AP and ur case seems to be one of them. That is all he said. And he gave my husband back his passport saying to wait for an email from the US embassy when they are done. So i asked how long will it take to receive this email or notification. And the man said it depends, and every case is different. It could be up to 2 months or more. So we left the embassy very disappointed and confused and worried. I went on google and vosa journey to see similar stories and the outcome, and ive read people say it took 2 weeks only and they got accept or 3 days only. And some say 3 months or even a year and more of waiting :( :( im confused and worried because the man gave my husband back his passport. Its like he will take a long time or something. Im currently in egypt right now and im so homesick to go back to the USA. But not without him :( does anyone have any idea or similar story or any advice at all. Please help me.

That is why AP is called the "black hole".

No one can tell you how long it will take. And for the sake of national security, immigration is not bond be a specific amount of time to get out of AP which means it can take up to years. I the longest case I have seen on VJ was 3 years in AP.

Be patient but also be proactive. Initially give them some time to do there work but eventually follow up with emails and phone calls so your case doesn't fall off the radar. If he said your case looks good then it could just be some extra background checks that's needed.

There is a regional and country specific section of the forum you can use to see stories and share yours. You can get tips on what others in this situation has done.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Quite normal and impossible to say how long it will take.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

"I went on google and vosa journey to see similar stories and the outcome, and ive read people say it took 2 weeks only and they got accept or 3 days only. And some say 3 months or even a year and more of waiting".

Based on the forgoing statement, are you asking for new stories?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

~Moved from Memb. Intro. to MENA Regional Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

~Multiple same/similar-themed posts merged/removed~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same topics~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

My husband had his interview October 12 we were told his visa was approved we just needed a new cosponsor which we summited a few days later but he's still in ap. He's never been arrested or even had police contact for that matter so I know that's not a concern. I've been here 7 months and I'm so ready to go home already not to mention a family member has surgery before his interview and I feel like ? Because I'm still here but what can a person do. Physically I can't fly alone and hopefully it won't take more than 2 weeks from what the co said to us at the interview. I have noticed that middle eastern countries are put in extremely long ap and I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope it goes by fast for you

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Timeline

Did you have a co sponsor ? or how did you prove that you can finical support your spouse? you have to retract every detail...

Edited by thisFUNjourney

• Got Married: July 25, 2015 (L)

• Sent I-130: August 23, 2016

I-130: Approved! wohoo! February 17, 2016

NVC Received: March 07, 2016

Sent IV Package : March 28, 2016 We got a checked list :ranting: - NVC lost English translated police certificate :protest: wuah! delayed us 1 month!

Received Instruction and interview appointment letter- June 29, 2016

Interview in Cairo August 29, 2016 :idea: - Interview went well, Approved :) wohoo!!!! *I (petitioner) attended interview with my husband. Overall interview went well, (with the help of this forum) questions asked to me When did I arrive Egypt? How many times have I visited? Do I live in Egypt? Questions asked to my husband Where did we meet? How did we connect?(this is what she asked, i guess she meant how did we stay in touch) Did we have a wedding?

Visa ready August 31, 2016.

Habibi (L) Received VISA September 08, 2016 :dancing:

Timeline

thisFUNjourney

Yes my mother is the co sponser and i showed him the tax returns from her for 2013 2014 and 2015 and i even showed the income and proof and the i864A form and her signature. The man himself said all the documents look good and nothing is missing. Im thinking he did this for background check because my husband lives in Egypt and he is a muslim.. even though the consilar never said the reason,but that's what im guessing. He even gave my husband back the passport. He didnt keep it in the embassy. He gave it back to him :(

Timeline

JenniferNangel

Im sorry to hear it took you guys over 7 months. That is so scary and frustrating. Im here in my 2nd day and im already worried so i feel you. But congratulations for being accepted. Hopefully by 2 weeks ur husband will get the visa. In our case we didnt even get notified that my husband is accepted or refused. He simply gave us a white paper saying administrative processing. And he gave my husband back his passport which worries me deeply. but no documents are needed from us. He told us all the papers are good and correct. So im guessing its a background check because hes muslim or living in Egypt. Idk. But all i do know is it wasnt normal for him to give my husband back the passport. Regularly the embassy keeps it till they issue u the visa but thats what happened.

Did you have a co sponsor ? or how did you prove that you can finical support your spouse? you have to retract every detail...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Did the CO have to leave the room to get the paper to give to you? if not, then the decision was likely made before the interview took place that you would be put in AP. Hope your wait is not too long. best wishes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

For this Consulate that seems quite normal.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

JenniferNangel

Im sorry to hear it took you guys over 7 months. That is so scary and frustrating. Im here in my 2nd day and im already worried so i feel you. But congratulations for being accepted. Hopefully by 2 weeks ur husband will get the visa. In our case we didnt even get notified that my husband is accepted or refused. He simply gave us a white paper saying administrative processing. And he gave my husband back his passport which worries me deeply. but no documents are needed from us. He told us all the papers are good and correct. So im guessing its a background check because hes muslim or living in Egypt. Idk. But all i do know is it wasnt normal for him to give my husband back the passport. Regularly the embassy keeps it till they issue u the visa but thats what happened.

His visa was issued today thankfully. We started the process in August but I've been living with my husband in his country for 7 months so yea I'm just ready to return home and relax before our daughter gets here in December. It hadn't been easy been in Dominican Republic while pregnant but I was lucky to be able to stay with him and also take advantage of dcf. I know what the struggle is going through ap and try your best to stay positive throughout this time. Yes it seems like once they complete the background check they will ask for his passport and issue is visa. Every embassy is different

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Timeline

This is very normal in Egypt.

My interview was on the 14th of August. I was approved by the officer and they kept my passport saying it would be back with the visa stamped within 2 weeks. I am under Admin Processing since then. 2.5 months now and still nothing heard back from them. It's frustrating but there's absolutely nothing to do but wait. Good luck!

Timeline

This is very normal in Egypt.

My interview was on the 14th of August. I was approved by the officer and they kept my passport saying it would be back with the visa stamped within 2 weeks. I am under Admin Processing since then. 2.5 months now and still nothing heard back from them. It's frustrating but there's absolutely nothing to do but wait. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.